Haskell meetup

Pradip P Caulagi

Jan 12, 2013, 8:21:31 AM1/12/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Me and a couple of friends are meeting on 20th Jan (next Sunday) to discuss Haskell.  We are meeting at Mr Beans in Koramangala at 3 PM.  It is near Koramangala BDA complex - https://maps.google.co.in/maps?client=ubuntu&channel=cs&ie=UTF-8&q=mr+beans+koramangala&fb=1&gl=in&hq=mr+beans&hnear=0x3bae144ed898fc2d:0x1681f38e8c00ae56,Koramangala,+Bangalore,+Karnataka&cid=0,0,15668090928545099077&ei=xmLxUJe9EYTxrQfOmIGwCQ&ved=0CJUBEPwSMAI

It would be nice to meet other Haskellers as well.

--
Pradip

abhinav sarkar

Jan 12, 2013, 2:30:28 PM1/12/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
I'll come.

Regards,
Abhinav Sarkar

Rohit kumar

Jan 13, 2013, 12:43:20 AM1/13/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
flyer_1sdcx9(1).pdf

Shantanu Kumar

Jan 13, 2013, 2:14:09 AM1/13/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, 12 January 2013 18:51:31 UTC+5:30, Pradip P Caulagi wrote:
Me and a couple of friends are meeting on 20th Jan (next Sunday) to discuss Haskell.  We are meeting at Mr Beans in Koramangala at 3 PM.  It is near Koramangala BDA complex - https://maps.google.co.in/maps?client=ubuntu&channel=cs&ie=UTF-8&q=mr+beans+koramangala&fb=1&gl=in&hq=mr+beans&hnear=0x3bae144ed898fc2d:0x1681f38e8c00ae56,Koramangala,+Bangalore,+Karnataka&cid=0,0,15668090928545099077&ei=xmLxUJe9EYTxrQfOmIGwCQ&ved=0CJUBEPwSMAI

It would be nice to meet other Haskellers as well.

Good to know. Is there a set agenda for the discussion? It would to help to know them beforehand.

Shantanu

Pradip Caulagi

Jan 13, 2013, 2:25:15 AM1/13/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Shantanu Kumar
<kumar.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good to know. Is there a set agenda for the discussion? It would to help to
> know them beforehand.

Hey Shantanu,

no there is no fixed agenda. It is an open house. But I think the
discussion will revolve around understanding Haskell, its constructs
and what makes it different from other functional languages. I would
be interested to understand the type system in Haskell.

Shantanu Kumar

Jan 13, 2013, 10:02:35 AM1/13/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Great! I hope somebody talks about data structures and performance aspects too. I will come to the meetup.

Shantanu

Anand Chitipothu

Jan 14, 2013, 8:59:34 AM1/14/13
to bangalore-fp

Would love to attend it, but I won't be in town on that date. Please post the summary of the meeting in this list.

Anand

Pradip P Caulagi

Jan 18, 2013, 12:46:08 AM1/18/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday 12 January 2013 06:51 PM, Pradip P Caulagi wrote:
> Me and a couple of friends are meeting on 20th Jan (next Sunday) to
> discuss Haskell. We are meeting at Mr Beans in Koramangala at 3 PM.

... a reminder.

Arun Kumar

Jan 18, 2013, 1:10:38 AM1/18/13
to bangalore-fp

Can someone who don't know Haskell participate and hope to understand anything?

Rohit kumar

Jan 18, 2013, 1:26:12 AM1/18/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
All are welcome, Arun. We are doing this to make people aware of this and who are interested to join us in learning it, and clearing things when moving further

-Rohit

Thomas Elam

Jan 18, 2013, 6:21:11 AM1/18/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Can we get some video or at least audio for the meeting onto TCP/IP?  I'm in Mysore.

Tom

Thomas Elam

Jan 19, 2013, 12:35:26 AM1/19/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone attending the meeting have 3G so a WiFi hotspot could be set up at the venue? I will try to set up a Google Hangout or something. Ramakrishnan suggested that. Any other ideas in case a hotspot gets set up?

Tom

Pradip Caulagi

Jan 20, 2013, 11:32:59 AM1/20/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 7:29 PM, Anand Chitipothu <anand...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would love to attend it, but I won't be in town on that date. Please post
> the summary of the meeting in this list.

Shantanu, Ramakrishnan, Rohit, Thomas (over Google hangout) and I were
at the meet. We started with an overview of Haskell - static,
strongly typed language; functions are curried by default. We
discussed why static type is a good thing in Haskell while the rest of
the world seems to prefer dynamic types. One very convincing answer
was that the type system of Haskell allows us to specify higher levels
of abstraction.

We dabbled a bit with lazy evaluation and pattern matching of Haskell
with Ramakrishnan leading the way. We talked about namespaces and if
it is a useful thing to have. In between, various people mentioned
and discussed Clojure, Erlang, Smalltalk and a bunch of others.

Thanks everyone, for a very useful Sunday afternoon and I look forward
to the next one :)

Rohit kumar

Jan 20, 2013, 12:00:54 PM1/20/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
It was great evening.  I believe upcoming meet we can find more interested folks joining the team.

-Rohit

Shantanu Kumar

Jan 21, 2013, 5:25:48 AM1/21/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
The meetup was very nice indeed--I enjoyed it. One thing we could maybe fix the next time would be a venue that is more suitable for a meetup. For example, a place with a projector or a large screen.

Shantanu