DIY Setting Initial Odo on cyclo comp

Vishnu Janardhanan S

Dec 25, 2014, 6:47:12 AM12/25/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

I bought a new cateye velo wireless+ the most basic wireless computer from Cateye for my New(old) commuter bike.
One main feature (according to me) which is lacking in this model is the ability to set the initial odometer.

I have already done ~540km on my commuter, so i wanted the bike computer to start from 540.
So i did some DIY to get it done, sharing it here.

First thing i tried was to put a magnet on a table fan and use it to run the comp, but the fan was too fast and the speed was going over 105.9kmph which is the comps max record-able speed. Then i tried to attach a magnet to the wheel of an RC car i had.
Now the speed was OK but the car was vibrating uncontrollably and the battery also was running out very fast.

Finally this is the setup which worked.

1. I set the wheel size to 20" instead of 700C, now the speed was just under 100kmph
2. Attached magnets to all 3 leaves of the fan so that it does not vibrate because of unbalanced load.
3. Positioned the magnets in such a way that magnet on only one leaf will trigger the sensor.
4. Attached the sensor on the the grill of the FAN.
5. Started the fan at lowest speed and i had a bike computer which was running at close to 100kmph.
6. Left the setup like that till the odo reached 540 and i was done.

Youtube Video of the setup: [LINK]

Thank you,
Regards
Vishnu

Opendro

Dec 26, 2014, 12:18:42 AM12/26/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hahaa... the most hilarious DYI I have ever heard :)

Prashanth Chengi

Dec 26, 2014, 3:24:39 AM12/26/14
to Opendro, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Somebody should forward this video to the makers of the Cateye device.  They might decide to put in the required feature! I have a Cateye Strada Double wireless device, but I don't bother about the odometer settings, so haven't investigated whether it can take an initial value.  I upload my rides to strava, which aggregates my mileage for me.  I also have a Garmin Edge 200, but saw that deleting all the rides resets the mileage counter too.

/Prashanth

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Vishnu Janardhanan S

Dec 26, 2014, 5:09:27 AM12/26/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, ope...@gmail.com
@Opendro: ;-P
@Prashanth: I dont think its because they dont know. This is the most basic wireless comp so for feature parity they purposefully dont have it.

Sachin

Dec 27, 2014, 12:05:40 AM12/27/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Very creative. But your average speed and max speed are now going to be forever messed up...

Vishnu Janardhanan S

Dec 27, 2014, 12:12:37 AM12/27/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
not really, this is their base model, so avg speed max speed extra are per ride only.
Once you reset it, only odo remains.

anand raman

Shyam Sundar S Iyer

Dec 29, 2014, 12:14:57 AM12/29/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, vij...@gmail.com
Oh! Ho...idea.....I am going to be a mile muncher in 2015!