I want to Buy a Downhill bike!

Syamlal pullambally

Jan 18, 2013, 4:55:35 AM1/18/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
HI dear friends...

Myself Syam from bangalore,

I am planning to buy a new Downhill Bike, can any one help me with, which bike is good for a beginner mountain biker, how much it costs and all? I prefer dual suspension.

Thanks a lot guys...

love you all...

https://www.facebook.com/lifearide

Sre3-P0

Jan 18, 2013, 5:17:21 AM1/18/13
to Syamlal pullambally, bangalor...@googlegroups.com

Me wants one as well. :D

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details

RT

Jan 18, 2013, 6:11:24 AM1/18/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
@Butcher: LOL!

Syam, don't know how advisable for a beginner mountain biker to learn on a DH bike. Do you know what you're getting yourself into? A noob should ideally start with a hard tail and move on from there. Its like learning to walk before you run.

Cost? A new one would set you back north of Rs. 2 lakhs (probably closer to 3 - and I'm not talking about a premium brand). A used one would probably be grabbed by Butcher before you even heard of it :D

Syamlal pullambally

Jan 18, 2013, 6:54:48 AM1/18/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
HI Rahul.

Thanks for reply.

I rides BMX, so i hope this experience can help me to learn to handle DH faster (its just a hope), and one of ma friend have a HT and sometimes we used to ride at Turahalli, that is why i more likely to go for Full Suspension, which is available in Bangalore. I just need a Beginner Bike (not a pro Bike).

Thanks and hope, you will give me some suggestions and directions to pursue ma way towards DH

!!!!Wanna be Insane!!!!

Rohan Kini

Jan 18, 2013, 12:24:03 PM1/18/13
to Syamlal pullambally, bangaloreBikers
Thats a great question and this can be a killer DH thread as folks here can get you on a bike.

Lets start with simple questions
- how much do you think you can spend on this bike of yours
- would you also like to ride between home and Turahalli on this DH bike of yours? Or will be all DH mode and have proper equipment to do your ride (car, bike rack, full face helmet etc)

~ROhan

Syamlal pullambally

Jan 20, 2013, 8:47:04 AM1/20/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Syamlal pullambally
HI Rohan.

Budget i am not sure about, but i prefer little lower price, so that i can get in to to saddle as soon as possible, but prefer quality and safety.

i would love to ride all the way to turahalli, and i have a helmet already. :)

thanks dear friend

sachin venkateshaiah

Jan 20, 2013, 9:05:54 AM1/20/13
to Syamlal pullambally, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hi

i have a all mountain bicycle on sale for 45k.

orbea radikal flow - 2011 model.

i have upgraded it from mechanical to hydralic brakes.

Regards
Sachin

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details

--
Stay in touch - www.pedalsandwheels.com

RT

Jan 21, 2013, 12:46:25 AM1/21/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
@Syamlal: BMXer? Awesome! So you no doubt have some skills :)

Few things to clarify here

Firstly on the term - DH bike. A bike that is ridden downhill is no more a Downhill bike than a bike that is ridden on the road is a 'roadbike'. You can ride a full-sus XC bike downhill but that doesn't make it a downhill bike.

Not all full-suspension bikes are downhill bikes. There are many kinds of full-sus bikes which are categorised in ascending order mostly based on the amount of travel the suspension affords - XC, Trail, All-Mountain, Enduro, Freeride and Downhill. The downhill bikes are the Big Poppa Pumps of the full-sus world. Unfortunately, there really is no such thing as a 'beginner downhill bike' in the sense of cost. The entry-level DH bike is really not much cheaper than a 'pro' bike because its similar design-wise but just has slightly cheaper components on it.

Its also because nobody really learns on a DH bike. People learn with shorter travel bikes and then graduate to full-on DH bikes. So what you probably need is an All-Mountain bike. Even a full-sus XC bike will simply not do. Why? Because the geometry of a bike designed to descend is very different from something designed to ride cross-country.

Now, the unfortunate part is that a true All-Mountain bike is also pretty expensive because it has to be a jack-of-all-trades i.e. it has to allow you to pedal it uphill and then allow you to take on a downhill track.

This requires quality engineering and componentry and won't be cheap because of that old biking rule - light, cheap, strong - pick two of the three. If a bike is cheap and strong, it won't be light. If it is strong and light, it won't be cheap. And if it is cheap and light, it won't be strong.

Good luck :)

anilk...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2013, 1:49:54 AM1/23/13
to RT, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
"If a bike is cheap and strong, it won't be light. If it is strong and light, it won't be cheap. And if it is cheap and light, it won't be strong".

Rahul, thank you for the above words, so profound.

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 21:46:25 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [BBC] Re: I want to Buy a Downhill bike!

Syamlal pullambally

Jan 23, 2013, 2:28:31 AM1/23/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com

I understand your points Rahul :-)

So now i should change from DH to All-Mountain bike, :) i hope few of the good one will be available in Bangalore right? which model you like to recommend?