Montra's new MTB ROCK 3.2 D (need reviews)

BPS

Jul 24, 2013, 8:16:50 AM7/24/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
Hope you are all in high spirits.
Please review the brand, the bike & the specs, for the price it is coming at.

Thanks

berkeleydb

Jul 25, 2013, 7:16:56 PM7/25/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
(Ok, so looks like they updated the website in the last few days.  Few days back, I had seen the 3series and 4series bikes @ RR Madivala, but didn't see them listed on the site.)

I did a few quick checks of the Montra3.2D, vs Trek3700D (specs listed currently on the Trek website) --

* I don't know how to compare frames, but (FWIW) the shape of the bottom tube for the Montra seems similar to the Trek.
* The fork -- they are both 100mm, but don't know if the Montra one is coil springs (similar to the Trek).
* The derailleurs -- Montra is Altus+Acera, while Trek is Altus+Altus.  (I see the Trek 3900D has Altus+Acera.)
* Rims -- dunno how to compare.
* Hubs -- The Trek site doesn't seem to list those; the Montra one says Shimano Deore, which I think are quite good (I have Deore XT on my Surly).

Since the Montra bikes save a bit on duty, and the Trek 3700 (non-Disc) is priced ~Rs27K (IIRC), I'd say the Montra 3.2D is probably better than the Trek3700; maybe closer to Trek 3900D; not sure what the Rs price is, for the Trek3900D.

(Aside -- I looked at the specs of Montra 4.2HD, and compared them with the Trek4300D; the derailleurs on the Montra are Acera+Alivio; on the Trek, Acera+Acera.  Montra is better on that count.)

-{db}.

Pradeep Naidu

Jul 26, 2013, 12:50:26 AM7/26/13
to berkeleydb, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Same here, i too felt montra is a better choice, you have 8 speed and you can lock the shocks too. But i dont know the quality of shocks on montra compared to suntor on trek.. somebody here can enlighten.

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Pradeep Naidu S

Rahul S

Jul 26, 2013, 12:57:34 AM7/26/13
to berkeleydb, Bangalore Bikers Club
That is interesting ! I was curious to know what the equivalent of Montra Rock 1 is in the Trek brand. Has someone done a detailed comparison ?

-Rahul

BPS

Jul 26, 2013, 2:01:42 AM7/26/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Thank you guys, looks like Montra has better specs at this price.
Which might be due to the saving they make on not-paying-import-duty.
Actually RR cycles' guy told me that their frames are made with Canondale engineering or something.

Pradeep Naidu

Jul 26, 2013, 2:07:31 AM7/26/13
to BPS, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
He might or might not be true,,But suggestion, pls dont believe anything these Local(AKA locccallll) bike shops say..they say stuff just to sell their products...
In that case, Bots and wheel sports are the best guys whom we can take suggestions from.They suggest pros and cons too..(sorry , thats my firsthand experience, never visited other new shops which have recently set up)..

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Pradeep Naidu S

Sandeep

Jul 26, 2013, 2:10:05 AM7/26/13
to Bangalore Bikers Club
On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM, BPS <nest....@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you guys, looks like Montra has better specs at this price.
Which might be due to the saving they make on not-paying-import-duty.
Assuming the frame is made here, everything else on the bike is imported.

berkeleydb

Jul 31, 2013, 1:19:04 PM7/31/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
One TI cycles chap that I talked to, said the Montra bikes are a purely Indian venture (factory is in Ambattur).  But I heard from a-source-i-wont-name that it's a collaboration with Schwinn.

I would seriously consider the 3.2D or 4.2HD, if I were buying an MTB at this point.  They have come out with 5-6 MTB models in the last few months; curious to see what further they come up with (including non MTBs).

-{db}.