Puncture kit adhesive ?

Sameer Shisodia

Sep 29, 2008, 1:39:04 AM9/29/08
to bangalore-bikers
Have had a puncture since the sat ride - found it and realized have no adhesive at home.
Amazingly - no h/w or bike accessories shop around here has it either!
Where does one find this  ? (In Koramangala/HSR/ORR?)
- sameer
--
Sameer Shisodia, Bangalore
(c) +91-98451-80207

Ravi Ranjan

Sep 29, 2008, 1:41:02 AM9/29/08
to Bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I bought it form Kundanahalli gate on my way to office from a cycle shop. I thought you can get it any bicycle shop.
Thanks and Regards,
~ Ravi

Rohan Kini

Sep 29, 2008, 1:43:25 AM9/29/08
to Bangalor...@googlegroups.com
search for a small bike puncture shop ! You will find it for sure.
a tube of rubber cement should cost you some 15 bucks.

Sameer Panchangam

Sep 29, 2008, 2:30:45 AM9/29/08
to Bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Sameer:

You should find a few cycle shops at the Agara junction
--
Thanks, Sameer

Sameer Panchangam
Sameer.P...@Gmail.com
Mobile: +91 9885312104 / +91 9959551518
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/spanchangam
Twitter: http://twitter.com/psam | Blog: http://psameer.blogspot.com

Sameer Shisodia

Sep 29, 2008, 11:22:47 AM9/29/08
to Bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all.

Picked it up from RR cycles and tried fixing the pucture.

Attempt one :

found the leak - sandpapered it - spread the gluw over it and the patch, and pasted it. Rubbed - and it looked like a clean job. Was sooo happy - pumped in the air and did a cursory check around the patch, deflated it - put it inside the tyre and used the (mobike) lever a little clumsily to get the tyre back on. Filled in air, and started clearing the place up.

By the time I was ready to put the wheel back it had deflated :(

Attempt two:

Took the tube out again, inflated it and looked harder - ah another tiny one - hissssss.
Patched it....

Attempt three:

...Oops - with the air in! Quickly removed the patch, deflated, sandpapered again and patched it again. Inflated it and checked in a bucket - tiny bubbles came up one a sec from one edge of the patch - poor job :(

Attempt four:

Deflated it - tried patching another one OVER the second patch. Inflated, and it stayed! Phew. Put the tube back in and gingerly used the levers this time. Inflated the tyre and it looked fully inflated even after a few minutes. Kept it aside and went for dinner.

Came back to a flat :(

I'm off to a puncture shop to eat some humble pie tomorrow.

How do u guys manage to do it so quickly ? Are the levers the culprit (rough edges - puncturing the tube as they are used?)
Someday....

Rgds,
Sameer

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Sameer Panchangam <sameer.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sameer:

You should find a few cycle shops at the Agara junction

Pradeep B V

Sep 29, 2008, 11:40:27 AM9/29/08
to Bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Had a similar experience on the last ride to BIAL.

Deepak had got a flat and we tried the sandpaper, apply rubber cement, paste patch routine in vain.

And we tried this routine 4 times before giving up and went to the a nearby mechanic to get the tire fixed.

Guess what was the problem?

The patches we were trying were the self adhesive types... and we were applying rubber cement to them !

It takes some learning, but its fun ain't it?

- P
--
Pradeep B V
Mapunity: social technology at work

Ravi Ranjan

Sep 29, 2008, 7:20:20 PM9/29/08
to Bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I guess the problem is that you have not removed the root cause of the puncture from the tyre .. the nail/thorn or somything like that is stuck with the tyre which has not been removed.
~ Ravi

Deepa Mohan

Sep 30, 2008, 1:04:50 PM9/30/08
On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 4:50 AM, Ravi Ranjan <raviranj...@gmail.com> wrote:
I guess the problem is that you have not removed the root cause of the puncture from the tyre .. the nail/thorn or somything like that is stuck with the tyre which has not been removed.
~ Ravi

You want to hear an amazing fact? In all these years of cycling, the only times I have had flats when mischief-makers in our apartment building would deliberately let the air out. The fact that I don't do any off-roading (except for cycling in the gutter when there is too much traffic!) perhaps has something to do with it.

Now if I get a puncture next week, it's all because I sent this email...and "cast eyes" (nazar daala in Hindi, kannu potta in Tamizh) on my perfect record!

Deepa.

Unni

Oct 1, 2008, 1:23:24 AM10/1/08
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I believe puncture has got lot to do with Murphy's Law "if anything
can go wrong, it will."

Unni

Rohan Kini

Oct 9, 2008, 4:00:54 PM10/9/08
to Bangalor...@googlegroups.com
actually you can still apply rubber cement even if its self adhesive. I always do that.

The trick is to let the rubber cement to dry out a bit before attaching the patch to the tire and then make sure you press the two surfaces together !

The first time is always hard. Took me half n hour the first time I did it and it was frustrating as hell !!!
With practice you can get it down to 5 mins :)

santhosh kumar

Oct 9, 2008, 11:42:26 PM10/9/08
to Rohan Kini, Bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Welcome back buddy..... :)