Bangalore to Jaipur Tour : Summary

Amar Harolikar

Jul 1, 2010, 12:03:29 AM7/1/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Had gone on cycling tour - from Bangalore to Jaipur. Tour summary is
given below. My blog has the daily postings for those interested

Overall a beautiful tour – full of great experiences.

The tour was from Bangalore to Jaipur via Kolhapur, Pune, Bombay and
Ahemadabad. Around 2400 KM’s, done over 22 days with two days of
break. Used to ride around 10 hours a day, around 120 KM on an average
everyday with lots of breaks for tea an mini meals. Started on
Saturday 15th of May and ended the tour on Saturday 5th of June.

Earlier plan was to go to Jaisalmer. Dropped that plan since Jaisalmer
was not connected by the Golden Quadrilateral highways and in any case
I would have run of time. The earlier route was straight up via
Solapur –Aurangabad – Indore-Ratlam. Changed the route after the first
few days since this route was on regular NH and not the Golden
Quadrilateral ones and also this route turned out to be an arterial
route. Check out the daily blog notings for comparisons between the
different type of highways.

Nice and comfortable ride – around 1.5 X times tougher than the
Kanyakumari ride (which was a luxurious one). Overall level of effort
at around 65%. Average cruising speeds ranged from 12kmph to 20+ kmph
depending on terrain. Kept around 20 to 25% of the total time for
regular breaks. Wind direction throughout was from west to east and
pretty strong at places. That resulted in cross wind most of the way
till Bombay and post that it was mostly diagonal tail till Jaipur.

Temperature levels far lower than what I was expecting. Most of the
days the first half (till 12 pm) temperatures were around 38 and the
second half temperatures around 41. Highest at Gadag (North Karnataka)
with standing peak heat at around 48 and riding temperature of around
45 with consistently high temperatures throughout the day accompanied
with warm winds. I mostly ride in the day/ afternoon times and enjoy
riding in heat. Gujarat an Rajasthan turned out to be a bit of flop
show in that respect.

Used to try and finish the ride by around 4 pm and keep a buffer of an
hour to find accommodation. Night stays used to be in lodges / hotels.

Overall the terrain seemed to be uphill till Belgaum and then downhill
till Mumbai followed by straight terrain till Jaipur. The only piece
of hilly terrain was right at the beginning of Rajasthan from the
border towns of Ratanpur/ Shamalji to Udaipur. The approach to
Satara , approach to Pune (Katraj Ghat) and the Khopoli Ghats (Mumbai)
were nice long downhills. Lot of rolling terrains till Mumbai, but
nothing too steep barring a handful of small and steep rolls.

Distinct change in cultural aspects as I proceeded through four
states. Breakfasts of Idli/ Dosa in Karnataka turned to Vada Pav/ Poha
in Maharashtra and Alu Paratha in Rajasthan. Had great mutton in
Kolhapur, my favourite King Burgers in Pune and Kathiyawadi in
Gujarat.

The prosperity of Gujarat is very perceptible.People are more gentle
and the roadside dhabas / restaurants very clean. Next in terms of
prosperity seemed Karnataka. Rajasthan seemed the poorest states
amongst the ones I rode and a little higher tendency amongst shop
owners to overcharge and try to con you out of your money.

Knowing the local lingo gives you a clear advantage as I found in
Maharashtra (I can speak Marathi ) and Rajasthan (my hindi is fairly
good and with more of a central India kind of accent)

Had felt funny riding into Pune, since that’s we are settled.

Had to change tyre and tubes around two times. Got it done from the
local shops.

Took two breaks of a day each after riding for around seven days. The
first one at Kolhapur and the second one at Baroda.

Saw two cycle yatris on the way. The first one I saw some where near
Kolhapur I think. Regular cycle with a huge amount of stuff. The other
one I saw while on way to Udaipur. Had been on cycle for the past six
month. Across the India tour. Carrying a huge amount of stuff in the
trunk in his back and a front career.

At most of the dhabas, the folks used to think that I am a religious
yatri. The way they asked me, seemed that they almost wanted me to say
a yes. Were very surprised when I said it was out of interest/ hobby
and not a religious yatra and I could see a perceptible loss of
respect !

Some remarkable sights were the Khopoli Ghats before Mumbai , fort of
Chittaurgarh and the Mewar hills in Rajasthan. First time I was riding
through the ghats in a cycle. A very long and fast downhill with a
beautiful view of the plains below. For the Chittaur fort, it was the
first time I had seen it. Its a longish approach from the highway into
Chittaur town. And the first sight of the fort was astounding. The
fort seemed to form the hilltop boundry for the whole of the huge hill
in front of me. Really long fort and seemed well preserved too. Mewar
hills were a new experience. The whole Ratanpur to Udaipur route was
through the Mewar range, which comprised of a whole range of small
hilltops. The hilltops were not too high and it almost seemed that
there was a house on top of every hilltop and a shop at the bottom of
it.

Had a very funny feeling from end of ride till almost two weeks after
that. Felt funny taking a taxi to Delhi airport from Jaipur and then
taking the flight. Felt funny going to office, reading morning paper,
browsing on internet, watching TV. Felt as if I was doing all these
tasks for the first time. Was planning to start to write down a ride
summary (s) for a past few weeks, but never came around to doing it
till today.

Amar
http://ItIsNotAboutTheBike.blogspot.com/

manjula...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2010, 12:07:37 AM7/1/10
to Amar Harolikar, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic !!
Congratulations amar !
Thanks for sharing
Regards,
Manjula

Please excuse the curt mail and typos as I am sending from my Blackberry !
--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details

Sampath Herga

Jul 1, 2010, 12:08:34 AM7/1/10
to Amar Harolikar, Bangalore Bikers Club
just awesome!!!! doing it on a single speed is just incredible!!

Balu

Jul 1, 2010, 12:11:47 AM7/1/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Very cool!

On Jul 1, 9:08 am, Sampath Herga <sampat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> just awesome!!!! doing it on a single speed is just incredible!!
>
> >http://ItIsNotAboutTheBike.blogspot.com/<http://itisnotaboutthebike.blogspot.com/>

Shankar

Jul 1, 2010, 12:13:07 AM7/1/10
to Amar Harolikar, Bangalore Bikers Club
Brilliant!

Regards,
Shankar
Sent from my Nokia N85

Jul 1, 2010, 12:16:44 AM7/1/10
to shan...@gmail.com, Amar Harolikar, Bangalore Bikers Club
Super. :)

/Prasad
“Ten thousand flowers in the spring, the moon in autumn,
a cool breeze in summer, snow in winter.
If your mind isn’t clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.”

~Wu Men Kuan

Shashi

Jul 1, 2010, 12:18:16 AM7/1/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Terrific Amar! You are an inspiration. How does your family feel about
the ride? How do you convince them?

Regards,
Shashi
> > Visitwww.bangalorebicyclechampionships.comfor more details

Jayanth

Jul 1, 2010, 12:23:41 AM7/1/10
to Shashi, Bangalore Bikers Club
Cool.....!!
"Were very surprised when I said it was out of interest/ hobby and not a religious yatra and I could see a perceptible loss of respect!".. heh... not fair... :D

--
exoticengineer.blogspot.com

Sudhir P

Jul 1, 2010, 12:33:44 AM7/1/10
to Shashi, Bangalore Bikers Club
Wow.... Nice writeup too. Captures the flavours quite beautifully.... And the ride itself, amazing

-sud

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Shashi <shashidhar...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
================================
Sudhir.P

I do not suffer from insanity......
I enjoy it!
================================

Yogesh N. Rao

Jul 1, 2010, 12:37:31 AM7/1/10
to Amar Harolikar, Bangalore Bikers Club
Absolutely awesome and so inspiring. Can you add a few more details?

* How did you manage your hotel reservations?
* What gear did you carry and how did you carry it?
* Were you alone? Did you have a support vehicle?
* How much money did you carry?
* One of the biggest hurdles is sickness, particularly upset stomach if you are not careful. How did you manage that part?

This is truly inspiring. One of the dreams I have is to bicycle the route that Shankaracharya took from Kaladi to Orissa to Benares to Badri and back to Kaladi through Gujarat. Your short note has made me dream that dream again :-) Kudos!
Yogesh.

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Amar Harolikar <amarha...@gmail.com> wrote:

Abhilesh Gupta

Jul 1, 2010, 12:41:55 AM7/1/10
to Amar Harolikar, BBC
Wow !! Hats off to you Amar !! You are inspiration for many like us !!

Keep posting these amazing stories !!

Cheers !!
Abhilesh
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Jul 1, 2010, 12:54:50 AM7/1/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Congratulations on a awesome tour.

Mindblowing..........nice report too....well written

Its really like a cyclist piligrimage.

i really believe some cyclists are from another planet who can tour
around india, america, world too
at will in their divine transport [pushpakavimana] ......... read as
cycles ;-)

anyways well done man!!!!

Cheers
Shilpa
> Amarhttp://ItIsNotAboutTheBike.blogspot.com/

Murali R

Jul 1, 2010, 12:54:55 AM7/1/10
to Bangalore-bikers
simply awesome!!
Your rides are our inspirations :)
--
Regards,
Murali

abhishekmadan

Jul 1, 2010, 1:41:43 AM7/1/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Wow! Very inspiring!

On Jul 1, 9:54 am, Murali R <jumjumkh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> simply awesome!!
> Your rides are our inspirations :)
>
> > Visitwww.bangalorebicyclechampionships.comfor more details
>
> > --
> > biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
>
> > are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
> > Visitwww.bangalorebicyclechampionships.comfor more details
>
> --
> Regards,
> Murali

Pradeep B V

Jul 1, 2010, 3:30:07 AM7/1/10
to abhishekmadan, Bangalore Bikers Club
Mind blowing.

Hats off.

Its DEFINITELY not about the bike.

Balu

Jul 1, 2010, 3:33:44 AM7/1/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hey Amar, I must say, you a crazy but you are inspiring too
crazy - since I never thought It was on good old Atlas conventional
cycle, doing a 2400kms on a single gear bike is not a joke.

I have to Bow down in respect. "Jahanpanah Tussi Great Ho, Tohfa
Kabool Karo" :P
Way to Go............

Regards,
Balu
> > > Visitwww.bangalorebicyclechampionships.comformore details

Sameer Shisodia

Jul 1, 2010, 3:39:45 AM7/1/10
to Pradeep B V, abhishekmadan, Bangalore Bikers Club
+1 Definitely not about the bike. V.V inspiring. Long distance riding is here to stay, courtesy amazing trips like these!
- sameer

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Pradeep B V <prad...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mind blowing.

Hats off.

Its DEFINITELY not about the bike.

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 11:11 AM, abhishekmadan <abma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wow! Very inspiring!

--
Linger. Do Nothing At Coorg.
http://www.linger-at-coorg.in/

Sameer Shisodia, Bangalore
(c) +91-98451-80207

prashanth

Jul 1, 2010, 5:50:48 AM7/1/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Awesome..... bow with respect ....

Everyday the cycling culture is scaling new heights. Setting the
barriers higher. Proud to be part of this group, so much inspiration,
so much to grow :-)

cheers
PB

Yogesh N. Rao

Jul 1, 2010, 7:16:11 AM7/1/10
to prashanth, Bangalore Bikers Club
Just checked out the blog and realized you are the same guy who went from Blr to Kanyakumari last year.

Most of my questions answered excepting 1: Do you ever get lonely on these long rides? How do you deal with that?

I am totally impressed you did this on an Atlas steel bike. Hats off to you!

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?

rushi

Jul 1, 2010, 7:50:23 AM7/1/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
> Most of my questions answered excepting 1: Do you ever get lonely on these
> long rides? How do you deal with that?

Hmm. Maybe he took a dog along? :-D

Yogesh N. Rao

Jul 1, 2010, 10:20:28 AM7/1/10
to rushi, Bangalore Bikers Club
Interesting thought. That would be a really well traveled dog :-) Reminds me of the kid and dog from the good old B&W hindi song "Nanna Munna Rahi Hoon, Desh Ka Siphai Hoon".
~~ Yogesh.

Craig

Jul 1, 2010, 10:21:04 AM7/1/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Incredible Amar!!!

What a great journey!

rushi

Jul 1, 2010, 10:54:50 AM7/1/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Clearly, you're not on Bikeszone :-)

Joke ---->
_o /
| Yogesh
/ \

On Jul 1, 7:20 pm, "Yogesh N. Rao" <yna...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting thought. That would be a really well traveled dog :-) Reminds me
> of the kid and dog from the good old B&W hindi song "Nanna Munna Rahi Hoon,
> Desh Ka Siphai Hoon".
> ~~ Yogesh.

Yogesh N. Rao

Jul 1, 2010, 11:42:33 AM7/1/10
to rushi, Bangalore Bikers Club
Don't go to BZ any more. Don't have enough time in the day to do my job and manage BBC, RFL, Facebook, etc.

I am still missing the joke....but, will let it pass.

Poovaiah MP

Jul 1, 2010, 11:49:14 AM7/1/10
to yna...@gmail.com, rushi, Bangalore Bikers Club
Awesome stuff!!! Will mark this in my 'to-do' list. You inspired me with your kanyakumari ride too. Lets catch up with some ride sometime.

Proud to be a part of BBC
--
Poovaiah MP
Centre For Electronics Design and Technology

Nadana Sigamani

Jul 1, 2010, 12:38:48 PM7/1/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Amar,

The last time I read your Bangalore-Kanyakumari expedition in your 26
Dec 2009 post, I had such a severe attack of Hotte-kichchu that I
developed severe ulcers in my stomach...
This time, just reading the title "Cycling Tour- from Bangalore to
Jaipur" made me frantically apply for an anticipatory bed in the
hospital...
Having completed reading the incredible details, I am now bending
from my waist down because :
01. I'm acknowledging your truly gritty performance, especially on a
single speed in the mid afternoon sap sucking +42 deg C regions (while
we mortals in multi-geared, huff and puff and crib about Bangalore's
mild 36 deg as very hot)
02. I am doubling in pain from the latest Hotte-kichchu attack. This
time i'm sure there'll be serious perforations...

Hark, is that an Ambulance wailing in front of my residence for me ?

Greenly your's,
Siga

P.s : Site Administrator, is there a way you can block out Amar's
exciting Cyclescapes from my general mail ? it is proving harmful for
my health and sanity...
Amar is a taciturn man. The only two times he spoke in this forum,
were about the two great expeditions he had successfully undertaken. I
think his next post will be "Cycling Tour- From Bangalore to
Timbuktu"...Please don't laugh. It is not far fetched in Amar's case.

Amar Harolikar

Jul 2, 2010, 12:13:54 AM7/2/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks everybody for all the encouragement - appreciate it !

Amar Harolikar

Jul 2, 2010, 12:23:49 PM7/2/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Please excuse a delay in my responses. Appreciate all the words of
encouragement. Here are answers to some of the questions asked in the
thread :-

Q. How does your family feel about the ride? How do you convince
them?

A. Family is very supportive, but naturally a little worried during
the rides - security / safety concerns. My family has seen me do
serious cycling for a long long time and are aware that I am extra
careful around security/safety aspects. I guess that helps.Didn't
really have to do any convincing.

Q. Do you ever get lonely on these long rides? How do you deal with
that?

Q. Never felt lonely, but I guess that's also a function of one's
personality. I enjoy solitude and the long rides allow a good
opportunity to really think through lots of stuff !

sudhindra R

Jul 3, 2010, 4:33:13 AM7/3/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hey Amar,

Great ride report man....awesome
On a single speed bicycle its truly amazing...
All the best for your future rides man

--
Sent from my mobile device

Thanks & Regards
Sudhindra.R

Rajesh

Jul 3, 2010, 8:01:10 AM7/3/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club

Superb..
I should be reading this again and again instead of crying when i ride
more than 30-40 KM :)
Nicely written.. Got attack by seeing No-Gear Cycle..
Great job.. :)

Salaam !!

Shree Kumar

Jul 6, 2010, 2:48:17 AM7/6/10
to Rajesh, Bangalore Bikers Club
Many congratulations, Amar !

Good to read many of your experiences. I don't want to look "old", but I daresay I relived some of my earlier journeys. I have bookmarked your page for a later day reading !

Here's to many more trips...

-- Shree
http://www.shreekumar.in/

Kavitha Kanaparthi

Jul 7, 2010, 12:21:29 AM7/7/10
to Shree Kumar, Rajesh, Bangalore Bikers Club
That's just fantastic, Amar. I have a ton of questions such as the route details, pictures, maps and a whole lot :) Will send a mail. Awesome work and love the way you how you kept your tour summary to a non-frantic narration of details.

Best
Kavitha.
PS: I almost missed this entry as I haven't been on the forum in a while. Glad I browsed through :)