Android App for cyclists

Amit Shanker

Dec 2, 2010, 2:37:11 PM12/2/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club

Guys,

Please suggest some decent Android app (that works !) for recording distance, speed, elevation, route etc. I've tried my hands on "Bike Computer", Velox, SportyPal etc but without much luck. Bike Computer (the app) is way too unreliable, works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. Moreover, it always hangs when I try to export the route in KML format. SportyPal takes ages to catch location, some problem in syncing with the GPS I guess.
If you guys are using any android app for cycling, do share your reviews/comments.

Thanks,

Amit Shanker
Web: http://texens.in

Ashwatha Matthur

Dec 2, 2010, 2:42:50 PM12/2/10
to Amit Shanker, Bangalore Bikers Club

Cardio trainer has worked well for me. It doesn't let you export routes in KML, though.

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details

Shreelesh Kumar

Dec 2, 2010, 9:10:01 PM12/2/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I have used Endomondo and Cardiotrainer in the past. Also tried some
other exclusive GPS logging apps. But all the apps are ultimately
depending on how good the GPS receiver on your phone is and the the
sat fix, which is not all that reliable in the city, at least for my
phone. At certain points of the commute, it has shown speeds of 100
km/h. So ultimately uninstalled all those apps to make way for Angry
Birds.

--
Shreelesh Kumar
http://twitter.com/shreelesh

Protect the Trees. Save Open Spaces. Save Bangalore

Pradeep B V

Dec 2, 2010, 9:11:53 PM12/2/10
to Shreelesh Kumar, Bangalore Bikers Club
Try My Tracks.

htedum

Dec 2, 2010, 10:27:02 PM12/2/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
In my experience, Endomondo is great. All your details are available
on the website, plus you can export GPX, view elevation (not to any
resolution, though), average, max speeds, etc. Shreelesh is right, the
logging is only as good as the receiver on your phone.

I'm still waiting for DailyMile to come out with an Android app. :)

K.T

Dec 3, 2010, 6:33:24 AM12/3/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club

I have been using my track by Google. One fantastic app.

sree

Dec 3, 2010, 6:56:57 AM12/3/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
TrailGuru is a very neat, simple and FREE app available for Android.
You can post to the website and then export as KML too. Provides all
the usual stats.. distance, speed - max, min, avg. elevation/altitude,
time etc.

Regards,
Sreenandan

Atul Gosain

Dec 4, 2010, 2:13:01 AM12/4/10
to sree, Bangalore Bikers Club
I use Nokia Sports tracker on my phone Nokia 5800. That works well too with all these features.

Kaushal

Mar 4, 2011, 12:18:23 AM3/4/11
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Installed My Tracks on my Nexus S. How long does your battery last on full charge ?

Some more app reviews -
http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/cycling-accessories/cycling-apps-for-the-android/

Sudarshan

Apr 20, 2011, 1:03:47 PM4/20/11
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, sree
I have tried endomondo, my tracks... I find sportypal way better! try and type in your review...

Varun Agrawal

Apr 21, 2011, 9:11:52 AM4/21/11
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, sree
I am trying to make my own app at this moment. Should be able to complete the first cut by the end of first week of May.

Mayank Kamthan

Apr 21, 2011, 10:55:05 AM4/21/11
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, sree
kudos!! let us knw when to try it..

Mayank Kamthan

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Varun Agrawal <varu...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am trying to make my own app at this moment. Should be able to complete the first cut by the end of first week of May.

Varun Agrawal

Jun 3, 2011, 2:18:12 PM6/3/11
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, sree
Hi Mayank, you can try the app now.
MyCycle on Android market. The app now allows you to post your workout to DailyMile. I am still not sending the whole gpx track to DailyMile, but may be will add the feature if someone asks...

Let me know how the app works.

thanks,
varun

Mayank Kamthan

Jun 4, 2011, 12:24:37 AM6/4/11
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Varun,

I have a Symbian phone. sorry i cant try the app :(
will try to get a friend's phone to try it!!

regards,
Mayank.

Mayank Kamthan

Varun Agrawal

Jun 4, 2011, 9:42:48 PM6/4/11
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Sure... let me know how it works... i am searching for people having android version other than 2.2

George's Email

Jun 5, 2011, 12:40:17 AM6/5/11
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Would your app work for any activity like running or walking? Or even to log a trip in a car?

Thanks,

George Joseph
IN cell: 9480999078
NA cell:1-847-859-9591

-sent from my iPad

On Jun 5, 2011, at 7:12 AM, Varun Agrawal <varu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sure... let me know how it works... i am searching for people having android version other than 2.2

Varun Agrawal

Jun 5, 2011, 8:18:49 AM6/5/11
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Yes it works wherever you can carry it...
Right now still in beta, I'm testing how to connect the GPS, because it gives erratic results sometimes...
I haven't got too much response from people, still hoping if someone tries out and lets me know how is it working... For now I'm the only tester and am updating the app based on what results I get on my phone.

Do you have an android phone? if yes, let me know how the app behaves...

thanks,
Varun

anilk...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2011, 8:31:04 AM6/5/11
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Varun,

I cnt use it on BB.....??

Anil s kadsur

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

From: Varun Agrawal <varu...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 05:18:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [BBC] Re: Android App for cyclists

Varun Agrawal

Jun 5, 2011, 9:04:15 AM6/5/11
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, anilk...@gmail.com
Unfortunately.. No! Blackberry uses a different OS than Android.
This works only on Android phones.

Shankar Shastry

Jun 5, 2011, 9:30:13 AM6/5/11
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, anilk...@gmail.com

Ah this is awesome varun, will check it and let you know my feedback :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy on Android

On 5 Jun 2011 18:34, "Varun Agrawal" <varu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately.. No! Blackberry uses a different OS than Android.
> This works only on Android phones.

Ashwatha Matthur

Jun 5, 2011, 9:40:34 AM6/5/11
to Shankar Shastry, anilk...@gmail.com, bangalor...@googlegroups.com

Hi Varun,

Thanks for building the app. I downloaded the app and its update. It seems to be having some trouble getting the GPS fix. I will continue testing it and let you know.

Again, thanks for taking the time to build it. Integration with daily mile is really attractive!

  Ashwatha.

On 5 Jun 2011 19:00, "Shankar Shastry" <shan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ah this is awesome varun, will check it and let you know my feedback :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy on Android

On 5 Jun 2011 18:34, "Varun Agrawal" <varu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately.. No! Blackberry ...

Pradeep B V

Jun 5, 2011, 10:34:19 AM6/5/11
On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Varun Agrawal <varu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Mayank, you can try the app now.
MyCycle on Android market. The app now allows you to post your workout to DailyMile. I am still not sending the whole gpx track to DailyMile, but may be will add the feature if someone asks...

Ok, let me be the one to ask for this feature.... :-)

Varun Agrawal

Jun 5, 2011, 10:41:51 AM6/5/11
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, sree
Already added this feature :)

There have been a few bug fixes I have done today, will upload the fixed app tonight... Also, I am going to allow editing of time, distance, completion time of workout before posting,

Regards,
Varun

Pradeep B V

Jun 5, 2011, 10:46:27 AM6/5/11
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, sree
is there a quick way to get a gps fix on samsung captivate with cyanogen mod 7 on it?

have been on the road with device and its yet to get the fix. :-(

Varun Agrawal

Jun 5, 2011, 12:05:38 PM6/5/11
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, sree
I don't know if there is a better way to get a fix... i got a fix today after 5 minutes and that too was very inaccurate. today's update will probably take care of the accuracy, though i can't guarantee the time...

Varun Agrawal

Jun 5, 2011, 4:32:51 PM6/5/11
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, anilk...@gmail.com
Ah.. I missed your replies - Shankar and Ashwatha...
good to know that you are giving it a try... let me know where the app is failing, if you are able to get a gps fix, the dailymile upload should work fine after tonight's update.

Let me know about any problems, or if there is something you would want in the app.

thanks,
varun

Shreelesh Kumar

Dec 12, 2011, 1:05:27 AM12/12/11
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Endomondo Pro is available for Rs. 5 on the Android market now for a short period. For those who like this app, its a great opportunity to get the Pro version. I got mine now though I've stopped using it. I guess the sale will be on for 24 hours or so. So buy it before its gone.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.endomondo.android.pro&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5lbmRvbW9uZG8uYW5kcm9pZC5wcm8iXQ..

Personally, I like this app better and have been using it instead of Endomondo. The UI is rich on the phone and the desktop and allows you to edit the details before posting. I find that useful because there's always a difference in km, speed etc when comparing between your cyclocomp vs a phone app. You can make the app as your lockscreen when out cycling and also shows the current location.