B2C1D?

Yogesh N. Rao

Jan 8, 2010, 3:50:37 AM1/8/10
to BBC
What is B2C1D. Stay tuned to learn more about the longest 1 day bike ride in India.

SreeHarsha .H .Srinivas

Jan 8, 2010, 3:54:12 AM1/8/10
to yna...@gmail.com, BBC
Bangalore to Chennai in 1 Day?

Just a guess though...

-Harsha

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details

Yogesh N. Rao

Jan 8, 2010, 4:02:18 AM1/8/10
to SreeHarsha .H .Srinivas, BBC
Oh My God, The cat is out of the bag and so soon! Bikers are smart! Harsha, I have no gifts to give you, but you get a 1000 points.

Bicyclists, RAC-F is proud to announce B2C1D, India's longest 1 day bike ride. Bangalore 2 Chennai in 1 Day. Please stay tuned for more information.

Best regards,
Yogesh.

SreeHarsha .H .Srinivas

Jan 8, 2010, 4:04:42 AM1/8/10
to yna...@gmail.com, BBC
Oh!
Thank you thank you :)
I would dedicate this award to ... blah blah blah ..........

Hey, cool man... 330 kms in a day.. awesome.

-Harsha

Namit Nangia

Jan 8, 2010, 4:07:45 AM1/8/10
to SreeHarsha .H .Srinivas, yna...@gmail.com, BBC
On a similar note, see this: http://ibnlive.in.com/news/bangalore-man-to-lose-weight-by-walking-till-chennai/108104-19.html
--
Thanks,
Namit Nangia

Have you checked out our Nutrition Consultation Services yet? Check them out at http://www.lifemojo.com/buy/tag/nutrition-service
For any help, contact us at ca...@lifemojo.com or call us at +91 90089 99189.

Yogesh N. Rao

Jan 8, 2010, 4:10:00 AM1/8/10
to Namit Nangia, SreeHarsha .H .Srinivas, BBC
This it totally awesome! Are any of you aware when he is walking?

Yogesh N. Rao

Jan 8, 2010, 4:22:43 AM1/8/10
to Namit Nangia, SreeHarsha .H .Srinivas, BBC
Bangalore Bicyclists, With B2C1D, we will be positioning Bangalore even more seriously on the world map.

When we embark on B2C1D, we will be competing with New Jersey for the longest day route. Central Jersey Bike Club in New Jersey conducts "The Longest Day route" which is a paltry 208 miles (which 332.8). We are shooting for around the same distance with the B2C1D ride.

Like I said earlier, Stay Tuned!

Vishy

Jan 8, 2010, 4:35:36 AM1/8/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
WOWWW... this is ausum. Seriously looking forward into this.

Cheers!!

Nallathambi Perumal K

Jan 8, 2010, 6:19:30 AM1/8/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Wow.. awesome..
You guys are really crazy about byking :)
Happy riding, looking forward to the route plan, i am sure a nice green route will be chalked out instead of the NH :)
Rgds,
Nalla.

Pradeep B V

Jan 8, 2010, 7:44:07 AM1/8/10
to Nallathambi Perumal K, Bangalore Bikers Club
Along similar lines there is going to be B2TSN as a part of Cycle Jangama!  Watch out ;-)

- P

Rohan Kini

Jan 8, 2010, 11:11:23 AM1/8/10
to Pradeep B V, Nallathambi Perumal K, Bangalore Bikers Club
awesome stuff guys !!
totally looking forward to this - hope there is chilled beer at the finish line :)

Good job Yogesh and the rest of the gang at RAC-F

Vivek Radhakrishnan

Jan 8, 2010, 11:24:39 AM1/8/10
to Rohan Kini, Pradeep B V, Nallathambi Perumal K, Bangalore Bikers Club
I think there is a good chance of Kynkyny Racing partaking in this crazy feat, it has been on our to do list!
Nuts!!!!!
Vivek
Sent from my iPhone

Yogesh N. Rao

Jan 8, 2010, 11:25:16 AM1/8/10
to Rohan Kini, Pradeep B V, Nallathambi Perumal K, Bangalore Bikers Club
There is going to be a LOT OF chilled beer at the end. Tentative plan is to stay at a hotel on Saturday night (preferably near the sea-shore) and head back to Bangalore next day. All self sponsored though :-)

We are still putting the plan together, Please stay tuned for more information,
Yogesh.

modi

Jan 8, 2010, 11:37:23 AM1/8/10
to yna...@gmail.com, Rohan Kini, Pradeep B V, Nallathambi Perumal K, Bangalore Bikers Club
Crazy!!

if on a weekend, will be there beer :)

cheers
modi

arv...@neuro-spine.com

Jan 8, 2010, 11:43:52 AM1/8/10
to modi, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, yna...@gmail.com, Rohan Kini, Pradeep B V, Nallathambi Perumal K
"There is going to be a LOT OF chilled beer at the end"

Now you guys are talking!

Might just pitch in - for the chilled beer if nothing!!

Arvind
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

biggfoot

Jan 8, 2010, 11:57:05 AM1/8/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
All I gathered from the 15 posts above me is 'Chilled beer'.

Where do I sign up? :P

- Sagar

On Jan 8, 9:43 pm, arv...@neuro-spine.com wrote:
> "There is going to be a LOT OF chilled beer at the end"
>
> Now you guys are talking!
>
> Might just pitch in - for the chilled beer if nothing!!
>
> Arvind
> Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Yogesh N. Rao

Jan 8, 2010, 12:03:14 PM1/8/10
to biggfoot, Bangalore Bikers Club
Route, logistics, hotel, payments, etc are all being planned. You will have to wait for a formal Register button for some more time.

Shravan

Jan 8, 2010, 12:35:08 PM1/8/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hmm , i was considering doing something similar for new years eve.
But it was towards Pondy , where roads get horrible after the turn at
Krishnagiri.
Will be quite possible if its done on a road bike and on the NH to
Chennai from here.
Will be glad to volunteer for the logistics part if any help required.
Been on these routes freq,like a bus driver :)

Regards,
Shravan JK

On Jan 8, 10:03 pm, "Yogesh N. Rao" <yna...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Route, logistics, hotel, payments, etc are all being planned. You will have
> to wait for a formal Register button for some more time.
>

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 10:27 PM, biggfoot <vibhutesa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > All I gathered from the 15 posts above me is 'Chilled beer'.
>
> > Where do I sign up? :P
>
> > - Sagar
>
> > On Jan 8, 9:43 pm, arv...@neuro-spine.com wrote:
> > > "There is going to be a LOT OF chilled beer at the end"
>
> > > Now you guys are talking!
>
> > > Might just pitch in - for the chilled beer if nothing!!
>
> > > Arvind
> > > Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

nilesh dhumal

Jan 9, 2010, 12:02:11 AM1/9/10
to Shravan, Bangalore Bikers Club
i heard chilled beer and ride that's the best combination on earth !!! :-)

nelly

Shravan

Jan 10, 2010, 5:03:30 AM1/10/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hmm lets see if we can do this for the pongal/sankaranthi weekend.
If beer at the end of the trip is an attraction , we could probably do
a ride to pondy :)
Pondy's famous for alcohol :), i spent my new years there. Plus a lot
of bicyclists, the french influence you see.

Regards,
Shravan

Georg Leuzinger

Jan 10, 2010, 10:35:07 PM1/10/10
to Shravan, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi guys, very nice !,
somebody asked and assumed that this can be done on smaller roads and not on the highway.  i think that is not possible, you cant ride B to C in ne day other than the highway. it would add to distance many folds and where are these alternate  roads ? does anyone know about such routes or has anyone done some research on this ?

for this reason we had in earlier chats dismissed chennai and thought pony would be a better destination on the coast for the same type of ride ! Hosur- K-giri-Tiruvanamalai-Chingee -P  is ok i remember.

georg

Sudhir P

Jan 10, 2010, 10:58:45 PM1/10/10
to Georg Leuzinger, Shravan, Bangalore Bikers Club
since it involves riding in the dark.... its important to have a divided highway.... So the thiruvannamalai -> pondy thing also wouldnt be right

For chennai... again by the same reason, its better to go by the NH.... This one is not for the scenery.... its for the endurance high

-sud
--
================================
Sudhir.P

I do not suffer from insanity......
I enjoy it!
================================

Shravan

Jan 11, 2010, 1:30:59 AM1/11/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Georg , the krishnagiri route is only probably suited to MTBs .
And its a single lane road with crazy truckers, better to keep off
it .

Regards,
Shravan

On Jan 11, 8:58 am, Sudhir P <sudhirpalli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> since it involves riding in the dark.... its important to have a divided
> highway.... So the thiruvannamalai -> pondy thing also wouldnt be right
>
> For chennai... again by the same reason, its better to go by the NH.... This
> one is not for the scenery.... its for the endurance high
>
> -sud
>

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Georg Leuzinger <gk.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi guys, very nice !,
> > somebody asked and assumed that this can be done on smaller roads and not
> > on the highway.  i think that is not possible, you cant ride B to C in ne
> > day other than the highway. it would add to distance many folds and where
> > are these alternate  roads ? does anyone know about such routes or has
> > anyone done some research on this ?
>
> > for this reason we had in earlier chats dismissed chennai and thought pony
> > would be a better destination on the coast for the same type of ride !
> > Hosur- K-giri-Tiruvanamalai-Chingee -P  is ok i remember.
>
> > georg
>

> > Visitwww.bangalorebicyclechampionships.comfor more details

Sunil PV (ಸುನಿಲ್)

Jan 11, 2010, 4:11:50 AM1/11/10
to yna...@gmail.com, BBC
interesting thought!

gud luck with the ride guys ....... like to meet the winner at the finish line :-)

--
TandemTrails - The Road Less Taken
http://tandemtrails.co.in

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Yogesh N. Rao <yna...@gmail.com> wrote:
What is B2C1D. Stay tuned to learn more about the longest 1 day bike ride in India.

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?

Vivek Radhakrishnan

Jan 11, 2010, 4:33:33 AM1/11/10
to Sunil PV (ಸುನಿಲ್), yna...@gmail.com, BBC
I think you are already a winner if you even attempt this one!!
So come to the start line to cheer all the winners :)

VIVEK RADHAKRISHNAN

Pankaj C

Jan 11, 2010, 6:15:09 AM1/11/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi all,

I do not want to spoil the party but how many of you feel it is
doable.
I am not talking about attempting it but completing it.

With a riding average of 25 kmph (respectable IMO) it will need around
13 hours + breaks (3 - 4 hours at least) = ~ 17 hours

From the above breakup it certainly looks doable but my doubt is
whether you will have enough stamina to ride past the 200 km mark.
I will request the more experienced riders to share some gyan on how a
regular biker should train to complete the ride.

This is not to discourage the organizers but just a reality check with
myself which I thought of sharing.

Cheers
Pankaj

On Jan 11, 2:33 pm, Vivek Radhakrishnan <themudoff...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think you are already a winner if you even attempt this one!!
> So come to the start line to cheer all the winners :)
>

> On 1/11/10, Sunil PV (ಸುನಿಲ್) <suni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > interesting thought!
>
> > gud luck with the ride guys ....... like to meet the winner at the finish
> > line :-)
>
> > --
> > TandemTrails - The Road Less Taken
> >http://tandemtrails.co.in
>
> > On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Yogesh N. Rao <yna...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > What is B2C1D. Stay tuned to learn more about the longest 1 day bike ride
> > in India.
>
> > > --
> > > biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
>
> > > are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
> > > Visit
> >www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.comfor
> > more details
>
> > --
> >  biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
>
> >  are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
> >  Visit
> >www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.comfor
> > more details
>
> --

> VIVEK RADHAKRISHNAN- Hide quoted text -

deepakvrao

Jan 11, 2010, 6:28:01 AM1/11/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I agree Pankaj.

Its downhill all the way but 300+?

I think 20kmph is a more realistic figure for such long riding? Not
sure at all, but if 20 is the figure, it will still be 17 hours of
riding without including the breaks.

Will be a great achievement though to actually do it.

Yogesh N. Rao

Jan 11, 2010, 6:48:03 AM1/11/10
to deepakvrao, Bangalore Bikers Club
Guys,

Please have confidence in yourself. How many of you have tried doing 320kms (200 miles) in the past? I can bet the number is very small (perhaps a handful). Now, how many of you can really do it? A LOT of YOU! Finally, how can you tell if you are capable of doing it or not? You gotta try it. Where can you try? The answer to the last question is very obvious :-)

Check out the following link: http://www.lotojaclassic.com/pdf/2009_Results.pdf

There are guys and girls finishing 333kms (208 miles) in between 10 hours and 15 hours. That too on a rolling terrain.

Keep the faith, practice well, give it your best shot,
Yogesh.

deepakvrao

Jan 11, 2010, 7:01:53 AM1/11/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Yogesh,

Confidence in yourself is one thing, and over confidence is another.

I am only speaking for myself here, but have thought about this since
morning and am unable to decide. Longest I have done is 120, however I
am fitter now but still, 300+ seems very daunting.

Its not just finishing, its the fatigue after a while, which will also
lead to lack of concentration, close calls and maybe even crashes.

Finishing 333km in 10 hours is I think a different level altogether.

I did not notice whether support was planned or not, but I think it
should be - maybe on a contributory basis but there should be some
help on such a long ride.

Vivek is right - everyone who attempts this is a winner at the
beginning itself.

Sameer Shisodia

Jan 11, 2010, 7:17:45 AM1/11/10
to deepakvrao, Bangalore Bikers Club
Pretty valid question, actually! While the terrain was tougher, the 150kms days on the TFN were non-trivial for most. This is more than double that!

a) I guess roadbikes only is obvious
b) You better be very comfy on that roadbike by now. With everything.
c) Probably no more than 3-4 breaks, so figure out a way of drinking and even eating some on the bike
d) look at a couple of 60-100km rides at an average close to 30, I'd think, to see-if-you're-there

Support will be critical - and the mobile kinds. My kinda rider is clearly not cut out for this. Too stressful for me ;) Its wonderful to attempt this, but pragmatism will help.

Rgds,
Sameer

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 5:31 PM, deepakvrao <deepa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yogesh,

Confidence in yourself is one thing, and over confidence is another.

I am only speaking for myself here, but have thought about this since
morning and am unable to decide. Longest I have done is 120, however I
am fitter now but still, 300+ seems very daunting.

--
The BSA Tour Of Nilgiris 900kms, 7000m+ of climbs.
http://tourofnilgiris.com

Sameer Shisodia, Bangalore
(c) +91-98451-80207

Dipankar Paul

Jan 11, 2010, 7:33:05 AM1/11/10
to yna...@gmail.com, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Yogesh,

In short, I can say that the B2C1D is very doable, BUT before that visit the page http://www.lotojaclassic.com/ and go to "Train with Eric" section..

You need three things for sure,

1. Determination
2. Practice
3. Be prepared to accept failure.

Cheers!!!!

Dipankar
9980265230
http://groups.google.co.in/group/lifeonpedals

soloTreker

Jan 11, 2010, 7:39:27 AM1/11/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Yogesh,
Nice initiative! Worth trying, Keep it going!!

1 Day<=24 hours? If so count in my trek 3700 :-) I will be there!

cheers,
SoloTreker

On Jan 11, 5:17 pm, Sameer Shisodia <get.sam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pretty valid question, actually! While the terrain was tougher, the 150kms
> days on the TFN were non-trivial for most. This is more than double that!
>
> a) I guess roadbikes only is obvious
> b) You better be very comfy on that roadbike by now. With everything.
> c) Probably no more than 3-4 breaks, so figure out a way of drinking and
> even eating some on the bike
> d) look at a couple of 60-100km rides at an average close to 30, I'd think,
> to see-if-you're-there
>
> Support will be critical - and the mobile kinds. My kinda rider is clearly
> not cut out for this. Too stressful for me ;) Its wonderful to attempt this,
> but pragmatism will help.
>
> Rgds,
> Sameer
>

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 5:31 PM, deepakvrao <deepakv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yogesh,
>
> > Confidence in yourself is one thing, and over confidence is another.
>
> > I am only speaking for myself here, but have thought about this since
> > morning and am unable to decide. Longest I have done is 120, however I
> > am fitter now but still, 300+ seems very daunting.
>
> --

> The BSA Tour Of Nilgiris 900kms, 7000m+ of climbs.http://tourofnilgiris.com

Pankaj C

Jan 11, 2010, 7:47:49 AM1/11/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
> In short, I can say that the B2C1D is very doable, *BUT* before that visit
> the pagehttp://www.lotojaclassic.com/and go to "*Train with Eric*"
> section..

I am sure with a lot of practice it is doable but how much time do we
have?
As somebody mentioned support will be very critical and mostly in the
last part when it will get dark.
Riders will be most vunarable in this part for reasons mentioned by
Deepak and there is a big chance of meeting with accidents.

From my experience I do not know how much time will I need to train
for this kind of a feat.
The max I have done is around 150 kms and I know for sure that it is
only going to get tougher after that.

Anyways, I am more than happy to try it out if I am assured that there
will be somebody to bring me back if I run out of fuel enroute.

Cheers
Pankaj

On Jan 11, 5:33 pm, Dipankar Paul <pauldipankar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Yogesh,
>

> In short, I can say that the B2C1D is very doable, *BUT* before that visit
> the pagehttp://www.lotojaclassic.com/and go to "*Train with Eric*"

> section..
>
> You need three things for sure,
>
> 1. Determination
> 2. Practice
> 3. Be prepared to accept failure.
>
> Cheers!!!!
>
> Dipankar

> 9980265230http://groups.google.co.in/group/lifeonpedals

> > --
> > biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
>
> > are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?

> > Visitwww.bangalorebicyclechampionships.comfor more details- Hide quoted text -

Vivek Radhakrishnan

Jan 11, 2010, 7:57:29 AM1/11/10
to Sameer Shisodia, deepakvrao, Bangalore Bikers Club, Samim Rizvi
What are the proposed dates for this crazy ride??

I think people should arrange their own support vehicles, or form
small groups and do the same, even if generic support vehicles are
present. You need tonnes of liquids and food, you dont want to be
carrying all that stuff, and you dont want to keep stopping.
I can also foresee some cases of serious exhaution and dehydration, it
would be very important to be able to attend to these serious medical
requirements in a professional way, paramedics, equipment, etc...

Average riding speeds will vary with riders, i imagine between 25 and
35 kmh. This is about endurance and not speed, none of us here are at
the level where we should be looking at how fast we can do it, but
rather, HOW we can do it.

The only person who really has this experience is Samim, this is his
specialty, and if possible, a workshop with him giving tips on
endurance riding would be priceless. Sriram has also done 250 km
rides, where's the gyan brother?

Small things like what to eat and drink, how often, how much
etc...this all really matters.
Maybe one also has to slightly re-fit the bike for such long hours on
the saddle, clothing, vaseline (Butt cream!!), things like this....

What do you say Samim old boy, are you out there somewhere.....

As Yogesh said, believe in yourselves, but then again, don't fool
yourselves. The idea of completing such a ride is very cool and
exciting, but the actual saddle time is something else. Please be
prepared, I have seen folks who have only done 60 km rides attempting
200km, that may be admirable, but I also think its foolish! (no
disrespect meant).
Please be prepared, 200 is already huge, and this is a whole extra 130
odd, a long ride in itself.
You dont want to cause damage to your body, so KNOW if this ride is
for you or not, and dont be ashamed to quit if you feel you should,
its better than injury, and you can always try it again another time.

now I'm getting carried away........ya, my question was, what is the
proposed date??

> --
> biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
>
> are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
> Visit

SreeHarsha .H .Srinivas

Jan 11, 2010, 7:59:27 AM1/11/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
340 kms at a pace of 20 kmph is quite a difficult thing (nearly impossible for me though).

But what this makes is bikers of bangalore to try biking longer distance.
Right now we are talking ot 120-150. I guess only a handful of people would have done 200+ in a day.
Once this event is a success and the riders cross the finishing line, i am sure most of us will start thinking about doing the magical 300+ one day and start training for it.

I guess this is a very nice and unique idea.
Pretty sure this will be an adventure for the organizers too.

Kudos to whoever thought about this ride.

Yogesh, Count me in if you need any helping hands.

-Harsha

Sudhir P

Jan 11, 2010, 8:11:27 AM1/11/10
to SreeHarsha .H .Srinivas, Bangalore Bikers Club
I know Ravi once did a 310km in 16/18 hrs ride once.... Share ur experience buddy

-sud

arv...@neuro-spine.com

Jan 11, 2010, 8:34:13 AM1/11/10
to Deepak Rao, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
@Deepak- I agree.

It is going to be challenging, to say the least.

But what the heck?

I'm game :). Just hope I have enough company at the end of the ride to crack open the beer bottles!

Arvind
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Jan 11, 2010, 8:49:18 AM1/11/10
to Georg Leuzinger, deepakvrao, Bangalore Bikers Club
Dear Everyone,

I have not read all the emails. I read a few and decided I should let everyone know what's being planned. We are planning a full fledged race and ride (we are planning for 2 categories). This event will NOT be free. There will be a charge. We will be sharing these later.

The race and ride will be organized by RAC-F (who organize TFN) and a host of partners.

So, Teams like KYNKYNY, Red Rooster, WheelSports, etc get your racing gear ready.

We will be sharing Registration Fee and services that will be provided very soon with you,
Yogesh.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jan 11, 2010, 9:31:17 AM1/11/10
to yna...@gmail.com, Georg Leuzinger, deepakvrao, Bangalore Bikers Club
Race, me not there.

The ride : I've calculated my average. its about 20 kmph on long rides not including the breaks. Including the breaks it would come to 16kmph but have to see if i can keep it up for sucha  long distance. (this is of course on my hybrid). So effectively starting @ 4 in the mroning can hope to reach at mid night. hmmm..

Chiddu

sathish k

Jan 11, 2010, 9:58:55 AM1/11/10
to yna...@gmail.com, Georg Leuzinger, deepakvrao, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi,

1. Are we planning for a race or for a ride? If guys want to race out, my suggestion is to have two categories. One for racing another for riding.
2. Is it doable in one day? - Answer is definitely yes.
In 2006 a group of 8 we cycled from Bangalore to Madras via Chittoor. We halted for the night in Chittoor and proceeded the next day. This we did in the month of May. Ok, I stopped at Chittoor, one I was tired due to lack of practise and two my cycle almost broke off in between.
Road bikes are better suited for this journey, I have nothing against MTB's.
On an average we did about 20kms in one hour so it was 17hrs in all. A detailed report of that trip could be read here http://shyamk.blogspot.com/2006/05/road-trip-rewind.html.
3. Some time need to be given for breaks. Maximum of 20hrs, one should be in Madras. Atleast 30mins in the peak afternoon for a short nap.
4. Did we have a support vehicle, yes one on motorbike. Did we know each other before the ride, no.
5. Attempting on a single day would definitely mean carrying spares and puncture kit. In the dark, even with light its not easy to spot nail or anything that could puncture the tyre. The shops on the route would not be open post 8:00pm.
6. The route. via Chittoor is currently ruled out due to highway expansion work. The other route is Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vanniyambadi - Ambur - Vellore - Kanchipuram - Sriperumbedur - Chennai.
The terrain from Hosur to Krishnagiri has quite some steep ups & downs. Momentum of down slope would help in climbing the next. If a truck or bus comes in front, its hard luck. At certain stretches, trucks & buses struggle to climb up but cycles being light could be pedalled up with some effort.
There are lot of bridges along the route as a bye-pass. If one finds a difficulty they could pedal on the service lane along the bridge.
Bangalore is many meters above sea level and Chennai is on sea level is true but not with the roads. Nearing Chennai also there are climbs up & down but doable definitely and not as hard as the one between Hosur - Krishnagiri.
In this route there is nothing much that would excite one to stop and click photos except of those cycling.
7. How do I know so much about this route, if one wonders. Well I motorbike on this route almost once a month.
8. The heat gets on as daylight breaks out. And there are no tree cover on the route. Its better for a very early morning start say 3:00am from Bangalore. Post 5:00pm a cool breeze starts to set in making it easier.

If there is any help that I can be of, am more than happy to contribute.

Regards
Sathish.K
(http://sathishk.wordpress.com)

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jan 11, 2010, 11:48:01 AM1/11/10
to sathish k, yna...@gmail.com, Georg Leuzinger, deepakvrao, Bangalore Bikers Club
Why is the Chittoor route ruled out? Is the highway expansion all over the place?

Yogesh N. Rao

Jan 11, 2010, 1:06:47 PM1/11/10
to Chidambaran Subramanian, sathish k, Georg Leuzinger, deepakvrao, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hello Children, An Italian, Orlando Borini (of Quarona, Italy) bicycled 540.3 miles in 24 hours

If you think 208 miles in a day is too much, check out the following:

http://www.ultracycling.com/records/timedrecords.html
http://www.orlandoborini.com/

Hope that inspires you,
Yogesh.

Bharani

Jan 11, 2010, 1:16:37 PM1/11/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
My first reply in BBC..

1. Race - Not this time please... If the beasts are interested make it
next time..

2. 1 Day & 330 Kms - Can Can!! (Though the person writing has not done
beyond 190 Kms. But my ride closed @ 12 Noon.)

3. MTBs - You have to be a real Beast!

4. Breaks - 3 mins for every 25 Kms. Break fast 15 mins (Sandwich/Idly
sambar), Lunch 20 mins(Sandwich/Pasta). I would prefer lot of bites
than a meal with a long stop.

5. Water - As many water bottles or Hydra pack. (It will be realllllly
hot near vellore @ noon. Caution for Bangaloreans.)

6. Support - As many roaming supports on Motor bike/car depending on
number of riders. (Will try to get some from Chennai for this.)

7. Training - get 2 X 200 Km rides. Do some mental exercise daily to
get your heart used to the numbers you see beyond 200 in your
speedometer and the mile stones that will start moving slowly after
150 Kms. Unlike TFN, there is going to be a definite milestone every
Km.

8. Nature lovers and Photographers - Get excused. May not be some
thing that you would love and should be in the support van (if any)
after 150 Kms.

9. Am I riding? - Excited and tempted. But still thinking........ Will
decide when it comes near and my legs get better.

Regards,
Bharani.

PS: Sathish - I have already read this story in the version of KK :-)

On Jan 11, 7:58 pm, sathish k <k.sath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1. Are we planning for a race or for a ride? If guys want to race out, my
> suggestion is to have two categories. One for racing another for riding.
> 2. Is it doable in one day? - Answer is definitely yes.
> In 2006 a group of 8 we cycled from Bangalore to Madras via Chittoor. We
> halted for the night in Chittoor and proceeded the next day. This we did in
> the month of May. Ok, I stopped at Chittoor, one I was tired due to lack of
> practise and two my cycle almost broke off in between.
> Road bikes are better suited for this journey, I have nothing against MTB's.
>
> On an average we did about 20kms in one hour so it was 17hrs in all. A

> detailed report of that trip could be read herehttp://shyamk.blogspot.com/2006/05/road-trip-rewind.html.

Naveen Paliwal

Jan 11, 2010, 6:47:20 AM1/11/10
to deepakvrao, Bangalore Bikers Club
I agree with both Pankaj and Deepak. What if we make it a 24-hour event?
Finishing the distance (B2C) or 24 hours, whichever happens earlier.

Regards,
Naveen

deepakvrao

Jan 12, 2010, 6:05:39 AM1/12/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Riding in the dark, tired and not mentally all there is probably an
invitation for disaster.

On Jan 11, 4:47 pm, Naveen Paliwal <naveen.pali...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with both Pankaj and Deepak. What if we make it a 24-hour event?
> Finishing the distance (B2C) or 24 hours, whichever happens earlier.
>
> Regards,
> Naveen

Mahesh Patil

Jan 12, 2010, 6:26:34 AM1/12/10
to deepakvrao, Bangalore Bikers Club
First of all, this is a fantastic initiative - it's different ! What fun is a ride without stretching the last few miles :-)

If doable ??? The gradient is a very important consideration for a ride this long - check the distance vs altitude graph - it's definitely encouraging !

Mahesh

Karl Henrik

Jan 12, 2010, 11:40:16 AM1/12/10
to Vivek Radhakrishnan, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

In Norway I have done a little shorter race, 200km in 5 hours and 35
minuts is a average of approx 35km/h. But we where 17 people riding in
chain (drafting), and had practice for a while. With only one short
stop (5 minutes), we carried most of the food and water. There is two
other races in Norway for amauters, one is 540km, and the best time
ever is 12 hour and 45 minuts. The other race i that I aming for is
420km and climbing 4 mountains, more then 6000m of climbing, best time
12 hours.... 320km is not a problem, if you have a good team who
working tougheter, and done have a little bit of training......

Karl Henrik

> On 1/11/10, Sameer Shisodia <get.sam...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Pretty valid question, actually! While the terrain was tougher, the 150kms
> > days on the TFN were non-trivial for most. This is more than double that!
>
> > a) I guess roadbikes only is obvious
> > b) You better be very comfy on that roadbike by now. With everything.
> > c) Probably no more than 3-4 breaks, so figure out a way of drinking and
> > even eating some on the bike
> > d) look at a couple of 60-100km rides at an average close to 30, I'd think,
> > to see-if-you're-there
>
> > Support will be critical - and the mobile kinds. My kinda rider is clearly
> > not cut out for this. Too stressful for me ;) Its wonderful to attempt this,
> > but pragmatism will help.
>
> >  Rgds,
> > Sameer
>

> > On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 5:31 PM, deepakvrao <deepakv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Yogesh,
>
> > > Confidence in yourself is one thing, and over confidence is another.
>
> > > I am only speaking for myself here, but have thought about this since
> > > morning and am unable to decide. Longest I have done is 120, however I
> > > am fitter now but still, 300+ seems very daunting.
>
> > --
> > The BSA Tour Of Nilgiris 900kms, 7000m+ of climbs.
> >http://tourofnilgiris.com
>
> > Sameer Shisodia, Bangalore

> > (c)              +91-98451-80207        +91-98451-80207

> > --
> >  biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
>
> >  are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
> >  Visit
> >www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.comfor
> > more details
>
> --

> VIVEK RADHAKRISHNAN– Skjul sitert tekst –
>
> – Vis sitert tekst –

Yogesh N. Rao

Jan 12, 2010, 11:54:14 AM1/12/10
to Karl Henrik, Vivek Radhakrishnan, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Karl, You are the kinda guy that we need for inspiration. Georg normally rides so fast on our rides that he lacks company. Please do come join us for the Bheemeshwari ride on Sunday, Jan 31st 2010.

sriram.bmsce

Jan 12, 2010, 12:49:02 PM1/12/10
to yna...@gmail.com, Karl Henrik, Vivek Radhakrishnan, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
hello all,
            followed soem of the mails,because  i was busy riding;-)
lot of sense seen in vivek's earlier post,
a)  330km definitely possible
b) training right is key,just dont go for it,cos your good friend is riding too..!
c) gotta to have the miles under your belt,also look at ramping up ride distances gradually
d) event should be open only to roadbiker's, MTB's with slicks dont stand a chance..!
e) group riding(drafting) should be encouraged only if its not a individualised race we are looking at..
f) race or no race-lets just compete with ourselves,more than enough..!

all above points valid only with enough period of notice before event starts,feb 27th looks TOO close and the date should be deferred...i think it has been to jun/jul now..?

When we used to ride long distance,until few months back,we used to drink electolytes which were tested
by us on our own rides,bananas,dates,figs,egg sandwiches,TEA were our favorites..headwinds are the worst enemies and can sap lots of energy,beware..

Ride strong
Sriram

pyli

Jan 16, 2010, 12:09:27 AM1/16/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Why not make this an event, some thing similar to Iron Man Event, call
for corporate sponsorship and set champion ship points, completion
points, Age group points and gender wise too.

This can have a great name too to boot as most of us are not in to
the ironman type challenge. But it is very daunting one.. and need
hell lots of logistical support for the kind of participation and
preparation and support vehicles and the support all the way till the
final ribbon.

(An Ironman Triathlon is one of a series of long-distance triathlon
races organized by the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) consisting of
a 2.4 miles (3.86 km) swim, a 112 miles (180.25 km) bike and a
marathon (26 miles 385 yards, 42.195 km) run, raced in that order and
without a break. All Ironman events have a strict time limit of 17
hours to complete the race. The Ironman race starts at 7 AM. The
mandatory swim cut off for the 2.4 mile swim is 2 hours 20 minutes.
The bike cut off time is 5:30 PM. All finishers must complete their
marathon by midnight.)

So like that we can have Iron Cyclist.. hehe.. !!! May be you can add
running too, but swiming? Anyways, i dont think i will be able to do
atleast 2% of it all, save the cycling part.

Regards
Pyli