Teaching adults how to cycle

Ali Poonawala

Mar 5, 2023, 12:51:11 PM3/5/23
to GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club), Sharath Chandar
Hi friends !

Both sessions took place..

Begur session :

Ganesh reports:

"
05-Mar-2023: Begur
Trainer 2, Learner 3

Rinaaz with dad and Manjusha were already waiting when I reached. Soon Mehak and Divya, volunteer interested to teach regularly joined.

Manjusha who was doing very well earlier showed a bit of rustiness with a gap of months. Her new found fear of traffic and speed breaker was striking while her balance is intact.

Mehak is comfortable riding 2 wheeler, just needed help to start with cycling as pedaling is quite new to her. Diya helped her a bit to get started and she was comfortably off riding fine. Mehak and Manjusha later in the session put in some extra efforts to deal with the speed breaker trying half pedal to maintain slow speed yet not lose balance.

Little Rinaaz was the star of the day, although she doesn't know it yet, she has crossed the escape velocity of balancing and could ride without anyone holding the bike for a distance. A lot to work on her start, stop and to stay balanced longer distance and so on but the first breakthrough is a moment to celebrate for her dad. Her repeating, 'I am happy, I am happy, I am happy..' when she pedals around fast charged my mental batteries to full capacity when I run along.

Manjusha will be signup for next level (turns) at Cubbon for next session. Mehak left happy and confident that she is good enough to now go buy her own bike. Rinaaz will be back for another happy weekend.

"
Thanks Ganesh 👌🙏

Cubbon session:

The winter is nearly over..the approaching holi festival is considered beginning of summer. Hope the exams are all done with !

Had a peep in at "happy streets" event happening in 5th block jayanagar.. lots of stalls, including political party's ! Did not bump into any one I knew from 'cycleday' era...was looking for rental cycles but not on main stretch.. may be on a side road. Carried on to Cubbon Park!

Trainers 5+2
Parag, Junaid, Ali, Krishna and Naga prakash (Suraj+Subramanian)

Newbies : 7
Sejal, shrishelya, anushria, Rohit, Sowmya, Dr. Indira, Harsha

Seniors: 8
Anuradha, Dr Kamalini, Chaitra, Syeda, Sandeep, Swagata, Sainath, Sudha

Trainee
Naresh

Hello :
Poojyà and Dheeraj, Chandrashekar ji, Deep.

Rohit was my first student, start position, brakes, static balancing with hands and scooting were carried out, last is on going.

Syeda :had a brief encounter where I showed her half pedalling. She grasped it well. Unfortunately, had a mishap towards end, was near the pebble mound so probably skidded on loose one, fell and hit side of her head. Dr. Kamalini was quick to help. Syeda herself was calm and got up by herself.
Last enquired, She is OK except pain at the hurt area.

Sudha : after excellent scooting, she is now on pedalling, the bike was too low and I thank Suraj for helping mom out with a toddler in the arm to pacify !

Swagata and Sainath both from Begur session came for the circle and signal training. Swagata did the roundabout with Krishna's enthusiastic support but needs to work on uphill starts. Sainath needs to discipline himself not to lurch and keep only left foot on ground, getting correct rental bike next weekend is best advice to them !

Parag's report :

"
Newbies
Dr Indira- She had cycled as a child,and was quick to pick up. After a couple of rounds of scooting, she moved to pedaling and was able to ride smoothly.
Sowmya- Took some to to get comfortable with scooting, then moved to half pedaling uphill, and then to full pedaling.
Anushria - Mostly worked on scooting, she tends to lurch to the right, and spent most of the class trying to correct.

Seniors
Chaitra- Cracked pedaling today, but still has a bit of a lurch which needs to be corrected.
"
Thanks Parag 💐🙏

Junaid's report :
"

Bright and sunny Sunday morning at Cubbon park , Anushria and Sowmya were the two first timers who started off well and Sowmya was balancing well however Anushria would require a little more effort in the next session, Anushria's engergy level were awesome she wanted to continue even after 10.30 AM. Sudha was trying to balance on her own but would need to practice scooting before she can attempt to do a solo.
We had our pictures and left for the day !
"
Thanks Junaid, for photos too!👌👍

Krishna's report:
"
I am Krishna, my report from cubbons.
Inline with what I had foreseen last week in Dr kamilini, Anuradha, they  progressed faster and better with more courage. They were able to peddle easily around the circle and up and down the balbhavan stretch with turning on the road. They did quite very well. Will put them on to signalling etc to be road worthy from next week. They need to muster more energy to do uphill. Two more new students, were, Dr Indira and chaitra. Dr Indira a very enthusiastic rider. Not a novice to cycling, but badly rusted. Quickly, she kept pace with Dr kamilini and Anuradha proved almost equal to them. All three are on the same page. As regards Chaitra, she started on scooting and soon progressed to peddelling. She is a bit unsteady but promising. She has rather had a problem to place her full foot on the peddle on the left side, improved/  corrected sooner than expected. By survival instinct and encouragement, she did good amount of peddelling, but still long way to go. Fortunately for all students I attended to did not have body lurching issues.  Swagatha who came from begur center, did circling well. Needs one or two classes to peddle with confidence and strength. All the four will do well and better in the session next week.
"
Thanks Krishna !💐🙏

Naga Prakash's report:
"
05Mar:
Students: Chaithra
Trainer: Naga

*Chaithra:* This is her 2nd class. Earlier she has learnt to pedal but there's lot of lurching. While starting to pedal she takes off very slowly and once picks up moves too faster. Hoping that in next sessions she will overcome these. Good luck Chaithra!!
"
Thanks Naga💐👍

We wrapped up the session after photos by Pramod and Balasubramani..

Till next week..

Keep pedalling!
Ali Poonawala

2023-03-05 16-44.jpg