[Beginner] Advice on buying a bike

Mayank Juneja

Jan 26, 2014, 3:35:48 PM1/26/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I am planning to buy a bike, will be using mostly for commuting to office. I am a beginner to the world of bikes, so need some advice on buying one.

I have a budget of around 10-15k. I did check out a few bikes at a Decathlon store and found Btwin Rockrider 5.0 and 5.1 within that budget. Which are the other bikes that I should try? Which would be the best one for my requirements?

Eagerly waiting for your response.

Regards,
Mayank

santosh kumar

Jan 27, 2014, 11:29:33 AM1/27/14
to Mayank Juneja, BBC

My friend bought a Hercules rider contour for ~16k + accessories
Some time last month.

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Rajesh Dhawan

Jan 27, 2014, 11:49:44 AM1/27/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I bought a couple of hercules ryders neo which is a hybrid bike for around 12.5k (accessories extra) a couple of months back for my friend n myself and we both are loving the ride.
That being said if you plan of going on long rides, I'll suggest you buy a bike without suspension (mine has and it slows me down).

You can check out hercules act 110 (it's the same as Neo but without suspension). I also recommend looking at Montra bikes, I saw one today for another friend of mine n felt it was good too. it was montra jazz.. I guess Firefox too has one around your budget.

PS: Keep in mind 1.5-3k for the additional cost accessories.

Mayank Juneja

Jan 27, 2014, 1:01:08 PM1/27/14
to Rajesh Dhawan, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Rajesh, Santosh, Thanks for the inputs!

I enquired a bit more about this on the forum. I have a few questions:

1. Given my requirements, should I go for a MTB or Hybrid? - I am 6 feet tall, weight on a higher end. I will be using the bike mostly for commuting.

2. Should I chose a bike with suspension?

3. Right now, I think I have the following choices:

- Btwin RR 5.0
- Btwin RR 5.1
- Hercules Act 110 (I think this one doesn't come in a frame size which will suit me)
- Hercules Ryders Neo
- Hercules Ryders contour
- Firefox or any other model that I may have missed?

What would be the best one to buy?

Thanks again for your valuable time and the suggestions.

Mayank

Balaji J H

Jan 27, 2014, 1:58:44 PM1/27/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Strike your line to RR 5.1

Rajesh Dhawan

Jan 27, 2014, 2:17:21 PM1/27/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
1. Given my requirements, should I go for a MTB or Hybrid? - I am 6 feet tall, weight on a higher end. I will be using the bike mostly for commuting.

MTBs are more comfortable to ride but the larger tires with suspension are going to slow you down. I'll suggest a hybrid based on the fact that you are new and need it for commuting. Consider the weight of the bike as well. The lighter the better.

2. Should I chose a bike with suspension?

I wanted and got myself one with front suspension, only to realise after a couple of long weekend rides that one without suspension would be better as I could go faster.
If you want a more comfortable and smoother ride, then choose one with suspension.
Not that without suspension is gonna rock you badly.

3. Right now, I think I have the following choices:

- Btwin RR 5.0 - Btwin RR 5.1 - Hercules Act 110 (I think this one doesn't come in a frame size which will suit me) - Hercules Ryders Neo - Hercules Ryders contour - Firefox or any other model that I may have missed?

What would be the best one to buy?

This is a little tough to answer as it depends on personal needs. Keep the points in mind and try out the rides before you make your decision.
Don't forget to check montra..

anil s kadsur

Jan 27, 2014, 11:47:48 PM1/27/14
to Mayank Juneja, BBC, Rajesh.dhawan.Biker.BBC
Mayank,

Considering your height and weight, price and the bike you have mentioned below, absolute NO for bike with 'shocks'

very truly,
anil s kadsur
http://kadsur.blogspot.in/

From: Mayank Juneja <mayank...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 23:31:08 +0530
To: Rajesh Dhawan<rajesh....@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [BBC] [Beginner] Advice on buying a bike

Rahul Raj Dusa

Jan 28, 2014, 4:04:14 AM1/28/14
to Anil Kadsur, Mayank Juneja, BBC, Rajesh.dhawan.Biker.BBC
@Anil: Promoting Mybike ?
@Mayank: If its only for commuting, guess a RR 5.0 or even Mybike should do the job.

RR 5.0 as i have seen was tested and has done good in Great Malnad Challenge and obv Mybike by Anil :)

Regards

Rahul Raju Dusa

+91 9964234511

http://themeandthemine.wordpress.com/