delta cruiser 28x700c at 50 psi

rakesh ram

Mar 13, 2016, 1:44:29 AM3/13/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Have an aluminium road bike which orignially had kenda 23x700c tyres. Used to fill them around 70 psi which meant harsh rides in Bangalore roads. Tiniest road imperfection and my ass would be off the saddle automatically. Also on slightly bad roads the traction was very poor. A year back the rear tyre gave way and I replaced it with delta cruiser 28mm(thanks to BOTS for introducing them to me). By that time I was following Jan Heine a lot and the pressure reduced to 60 in front and 70 in back. Harshness reduced and there was good improvement in traction(big help in service roads). But the true difference i felt a few weeks back when I replaced the front tyre also with a delta cruiser. Now the front is running at 50psi and rear at 60. Feeling huge improvement in ride quality in slightly bad roads and not feeling much difference in effort levels needed.
Also the puncture protection is very good in this setup. Yet to see a puncture in around 1000 km that the rear tyre covered mostly in the city.

I know only few road bikes take 28 mm but for the ones which does it is a great option for city rides and long rides in bad roads.

-rakesh

Opendro

Mar 14, 2016, 2:30:51 AM3/14/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Welcome to the low pressure riders club :-)

In my experience, puncture has nothing to do with low pressure. In fact, puncture is the least of my worries : MTB (2.25" tires) or Hybrid (40 mm tires) and road bike (23mm tires). High pressures on Indian roads is just not worth.

Ashok Kumar S

Mar 14, 2016, 2:33:14 AM3/14/16
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Unfortunately 90% of punctures I got are related to tyre pressure, as they all were pinch flats due to low pressure... :(

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Thanks and regards,
Ashok Kumar S.

Shankar Shastry

Mar 14, 2016, 2:56:12 AM3/14/16
to Ashok Kumar S, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Yeah. It's a thin line of balance between tyre pressure that doesn't shatter your bones but does not get snake bites at the same time.

I had delta cruisers on my schwinn cutter and it was a delight at 60psi. I think 50psi is slightly bordering on "asking for trouble" category. I tried 80, 75, 60, 50, 65 and then settled for 60. thankfully no punctures to report but I felt going down all the way to 50 was just not worth the incremental benefit.

Opendro

Mar 14, 2016, 6:34:01 AM3/14/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
My gut feel is that if you hit hard enough, the pressures that I use will pinch flat. I'm one who had side wall cut on my car three times. Two of them were not even soft walls, they were Good Year GT3. Other one was a soft wall Continental Premium Contact 2. They were all with recommended pressures - 30 psi.

On bike, I had got only once, that was on my MTB, on a bad bunny hop over a cemented road with speed hump with pressure less than 25 psi on a 2.25" 27.5 tires/tubes. Otherwise, I had run 23c with extremely low pressure on nasty and unfamiliar roads in the night (read Bliss In The Hills Periya downhill section and beyond). Then I had occasionally flown over very bad potholes, rumble/rubble speed breakers as I couldn't brake on time. At times, it even shook me off the pedal/saddle. Gana and Putta were witness to many of these experience along with me. Puncture was the last thing on my mind. They know how low I ride in pressure.

Having said that Putta was telling me just yesterday that he still suffers from pinch flats if he rides on low pressure. This made me think that I'm probably doing something that others are not doing. I, for instance, glides over loose sands (on straight), floats over piles of sharp broken pebbles. So, this instinctive easing of the weight on the wheel that faces an obstacle could be the thing. it is hard to explain. It is like skating on a smooth surface and suddenly you hit a patch of rough patch. Tendency is to fall, but you eventually learn to not fall. It is instantaneous. I believe that this must be the key. If someone can find a research material on it, it will be great (I miss Sree these days :().

Ashok Kumar S

Mar 14, 2016, 6:39:43 AM3/14/16
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
If you find it, please share. Will help a lot of us... ;-)