Commute during rains

Karthick Gururaj

Nov 18, 2014, 3:55:11 AM11/18/14
to BBC
Hello all,

Are there folks here who commute regularly even during rains to/from office? I am not asking about the occasional ride during rains, but more those who decide to take the bike to office - even when it is raining in the morning, and will most likely rain in the evening as well, and has rained yesterday too..

Until about 3 weeks back, it was raining - at least every alternate day. Monsoon was late this year.. I stopped riding after getting wet in rain once, for some reason I ended up with some sort of mild skin infection (didn't change from the wet clothes for a long time, that could be a reason).

So, here is my question: how do you prepare for rains?

Here is my experience:
a. Mud-guards: An absolute must. Protects the rider, the bike (chain, etc), and others who are behind the bike. I have decent, but cheap metal mud-guards, with mud-flaps as well. I'm on hybrid, btw - not MTB.
b. Lights are very important - both front/back. It is important that I'm seen from a safe distance by the cars zipping at 100kmph on wet roads.

But these are the problems I haven't solved yet:
a. Rider (jersey/shorts) getting wet. Tried poncho, but it flares up like a balloon when I ride. I tried to keep it a snug fit by using staples. It helped a bit, but not too much. The motorbikers behind me get annoyed, since the poncho obstructs their view of the road when it flares up. I ride in very "tight" traffic conditions - bumper to bumper, so their annoyance is understandable. I guess I can just ignore and get wet - only, I need a second set of MTB shorts... I have a jacket, haven't tried it.
b. Shoes getting wet. This is a problem.. I use a single pair of shoes for all my runs/rides/office. I ordered a rain cover for shoes from dx.com - it came out too bulky. How do you guys manage? I don't want to use disposable plastic covers. I have platform pedals, use normal shoes. While riding on water logged + traffic cloged streets, need to often put one foot down.
c. Bag getting wet. I need a light-weight, hi-viz, water proof (not just water resist) bag. Any suggestions? Should be able to carry clothes and lunch boxes..And laptop, two or three times a week. Two different bags is also fine. With a poncho, I can cover the bag.. but poncho has its own problems..

- Karthick

Ashok Kumar S

Nov 18, 2014, 4:03:11 AM11/18/14
to Karthick Gururaj, BBC
I keep a pair of change in my waterproof messenger bag along with my lunch and just zoom in the rain. Will change as soon as I hit the office. No worries about mud guards and you can enjoy the rain fully. Yes, I have to wash my bike on every rainy day once I get home. 5 extra minutes. :)

Thanks and regards,
Ashok.

Sent from my iPhone
--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Sandeep

Nov 18, 2014, 4:08:35 AM11/18/14
to BBC
This is what most Bangaloreans on two wheels(both kinds) do when it rains:
If it is already raining, wait for it to stop.
If it starts raining when riding, stop and wait under the nearest tree, bus stop, flyover, shop...
If going back home and the rain does not look like it is going to stop, start and get wet, reach home; and then the rain stops.

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Karthick Gururaj <karthick...@gmail.com> wrote:
a. Rider (jersey/shorts) getting wet. Tried poncho, but it flares up like a balloon when I ride. I tried to keep it a snug fit by using staples. It helped a bit, but not too much. The motorbikers behind me get annoyed, since the poncho obstructs their view of the road when it flares up. I ride in very "tight" traffic conditions - bumper to bumper, so their annoyance is understandable. I guess I can just ignore and get wet - only, I need a second set of MTB shorts... I have a jacket, haven't tried it.

Try a snug fit cycling specific rain jacket. It will not balloon and the back will be extended so it covers your shorts too(assuming one already has muf guards)

b. Shoes getting wet. This is a problem.. I use a single pair of shoes for all my runs/rides/office. I ordered a rain cover for shoes from dx.com - it came out too bulky. How do you guys manage? I don't want to use disposable plastic covers. I have platform pedals, use normal shoes. While riding on water logged + traffic cloged streets, need to often put one foot down.

Sandals or another pair of quick drying shoes(the "barefoot" ones look appropriate)

c. Bag getting wet. I need a light-weight, hi-viz, water proof (not just water resist) bag. Any suggestions? Should be able to carry clothes and lunch boxes..And laptop, two or three times a week. Two different bags is also fine. With a poncho, I can cover the bag.. but poncho has its own problems..

Would suggest a roll top bag or pannier that claims being water proof(sealed seams...), or a larger size rain jacket that can go over the bag.

Ram

Nov 18, 2014, 4:08:49 AM11/18/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Bangalor...@googlegroups.com

a. Rider (jersey/shorts) getting wet:
     Solved this problem by allowing self to get wet and remain wet until destination is reached :-\
b. Shoes getting wet:
      I use http://www.amazon.com/Fila-Mens-Skele-Toes-EZ-Slide/dp/B005PLGOEA for commuting which is easy to wash, dry and stow away. I keep a pair of footwear at work to change into.
c. Bag getting wet:
      Multilevel water proofing. I put all items into multiple plastic covers before they go into the bag. Also, the bag itself has a DIY outer cover. Dump a big tough plastic cover over your bag, make vertical slits at the back where your straps can come out of and voila! you have a waterproof bag!

The bigger problem I have is muck on the cycle and the drivetrain which is a pain to clean.

Thanks,
Ram

Shankar Shastry

Nov 18, 2014, 4:17:13 AM11/18/14
to Ram, Bangalore Bikers Club
Rider : I have backup shoes and clothes at the office which also I carry on the bicycle once a week or something.

Bag : I have a nice quechua which has an inbuilt rain cover which is stowed away in one of the inconspicuous pockets.

Bike : Also mudguards are awesome. Full coverage mudguards are a must whether it is a drizzle or pouring rain.

Ram - muck on the drivetrain is due to inadequate coverage by (or lack of) mudguards. Get full coverage mudguards or DIY extensions to mudguards - especially the front ones.

Jayaprakash E

Nov 18, 2014, 5:38:50 AM11/18/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I use SGN 600 bag cover which protects the bag from rain and visible from a distance. That is good enough for my 4km ride in light rain.

I too have decathlon cycling jacket & trouser, which one I used only twice in heavy rain. Though it protects from rain from top to bottom, I sweat a lot inside the jacket. So, I prefer public transport during heavy rain. Let me know If you want to test it out.

Opendro

Nov 18, 2014, 5:44:38 AM11/18/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I have been drenched too few times lately as my office is very near. But back in school days, it used to rain so often that getting drenched was not a luxury. This is what I used to and is probably not applicable now. I always wore slippers to school (it was not strict about shoes as it was considered a luxury), uniform was half pants with short sleeve shirt. Cycles always had mud guards and chain guards. We always carried a folding umbrella - to be used in both rain and heat. This worked so perfectly that the thought of an extra dress never arose.

Now, bikes don't have chain cover! Riding position is rarely upright to be comfortable for one hand riding required for holding the umbrella. My hybrid bike is still upright and I use it even for carrying heavy and big items while riding. I carry things like PVC door, steel pipes or aluminum pipes (as long as 12 feet), once in the rain too, wearing poncho. It works perfectly fine. It should work fine with an umbrella too as long as we have shorts and sandals.

You should carry the bag inside the poncho. The bag does not need to be water proof. Poncho I have is something like this : http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Rain-Poncho-Lightweight-Size/dp/B0047BRERK/ref=sr_1_16?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1416307297&sr=1-16&keywords=plastic+poncho It costs me a dollar for two ponchos in dollar shop. I don't see why we cannot make one like that from those gray, thin car cover material.

Washing bike - that is one thing I never do. The dirt collected in one rainy ride gets carried till the next rainy ride.

Prashanth Chengi

Nov 18, 2014, 6:04:56 AM11/18/14
to Opendro, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Biking with an umbrella?  You must either be super strong or you've never been out in the rain with a stiff wind blowing, as holding on to an umbrella is next to impossible (at least for me!)  in windy conditions, particularly when you are riding against the wind.

I use a 'breathable' rain-cheater, but the good ones are really expensive.  It doesn't turn into a sauna from the inside, even when I push.

/Prashanth

Opendro

Nov 18, 2014, 6:12:23 AM11/18/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
It is not that difficult. My distance to school was 9 km one way. I will reveal some of tricks of mine - I use Honda Aviator scooter more often than my car. So, when we have to go in the rain as family, I would have two kids between me and wife and wife would hold the umbrella. Half of my body is protected by the scooter's handle bar cowl and the rest (four of us) are covered by a single umbrella - good enough for speeds upto 35 kmph.

But I have never ridden alone with an umbrella in ages, because it does not rain often enough to get a satisfied drench in Bangalore. Office commute drench is not even an option has the laptop bad is around. But when not in office commute, I would never bother.

Opendro

Nov 18, 2014, 6:13:47 AM11/18/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Please don't question me for riding four on a bike - I was already reluctant to reveal it :-P

Sandeep

Nov 18, 2014, 6:15:08 AM11/18/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Prashanth Chengi <prashant...@gmail.com> wrote:
Biking with an umbrella?

This is pretty common with roadsters, no one is riding very fast on them with the umbrellas.

Prashanth Chengi

Nov 18, 2014, 6:26:47 AM11/18/14
to Opendro, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Opendro,  having heard about your exploits, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that you manage to average 35 kph with all four of you on a bicycle, with an umbrella in one hand too! :D

/Prashanth

Blackmamba

Nov 18, 2014, 9:00:33 AM11/18/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I use decathlon rain jacket and pants, the pants do have a extra cloth hanging at the bottom to cover a shoe, but it doesn't hold good in heavy rains, and i wear a cycling shoe or sandals as i have formal shoe at my work place.
and i carry a change cloth and lunch box in quencha raid 27 bag which has a thin rain protection cover for the bag.
 i have rode in heavy rains the look motorized vehicles stuck in traffic or waiting for rain to stop is simply to be experienced.

Karthick Gururaj

Nov 18, 2014, 10:20:10 PM11/18/14
to Blackmamba, BBC
Thanks for all the suggestions!

@Ashok: I'll switch to a waterproof bag. I don't know how you can manage without mud-guards! Won't you be splashing the riders behind? I guess it also depends on the traffic on the roads you take

@Shankar, blackmamba: Thanks! I too have a spare set of clothes in office. I checked quecha 27, does it have padding for laptop?

@Jayaprakash: Is SGN 600 a bag cover or a bag? (this link says it is a hydration bag), but some other link claims it is a bag cover. It looks quite nice as a bag cover - maybe a better option than a bag (since I already have a laptop bag).

@Sandeep: I'll switch to slippers for rides, that is a good suggestion. Will need to keep a pair of shoes in office. I have a rain jacket, but never had it with me when I needed it :)

@Ram: Fila Skele looks funky! Would have given it a go if it is easily available in India. (<sidenote>It is _four_ fingers! So, Vibram has patented five fingers or something? Quite possible</sidenote>)

@Opendro: I have a similar looking poncho (from olive planet). Poncho has many pros: very light, easily fold-able, covers my bag, I don't sweat inside, very cheap - etc. But it flares up like a balloon! I tried stapling it to make it narrower, helped only slightly. Maybe I can stitch something to the bottom to make it slightly heavier, so it falls down nicely.. will check.

@Prashanth: Can you tell me what is the breathable rain-cheater that you have? I bought something from Evans (Scott LTD Windstopper), have tried it just once. Must make it a practise to carry it with me :)

- Karthick

Ashok Kumar S

Nov 18, 2014, 11:14:05 PM11/18/14
to Karthick Gururaj, Blackmamba, BBC
I do splash water and that ensures that nobody is tailgating me closely which is a positive especially in rains when their braking efficiency also would be less. And getting wet in the rain is something that I'll never want to miss. So, these are my ways of enjoying my commute more. ;) I have the decathlon tilt messenger bags which are waterproof.

Thanks and regards,
Ashok.

Sent from my iPhone

Jayaprakash E

Nov 18, 2014, 11:53:32 PM11/18/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com

Blackmamba

Nov 19, 2014, 12:06:13 AM11/19/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, mans...@gmail.com
quencha raid 27 has padding for back so as to maintain air flow and reduce sweat on your back, it does have a pouch for 2ltr water bladder and laptop doesn't fit in their, i have carried 15.6 inch laptop in main compartment with 1 pair of change clothes and lunch box, since the bag is tapered on upper end it will be a tight fit.i have managed till date with 26kms of commute both ways daily.

Karthick Gururaj

Nov 19, 2014, 12:12:06 AM11/19/14
to Blackmamba, BBC
Hi blackmamba,

Thanks! I'll first check the SGN 600 bag cover, it is more suitable to my needs.

- Karthick

Prashanth Chengi

Nov 19, 2014, 1:35:13 AM11/19/14
to Karthick Gururaj, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Blackmamba

I use a 66°N rain cheater (soft shell), Karthik.

/Prashanth

Arvind P

Nov 19, 2014, 1:38:01 AM11/19/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com

Karthick Gururaj

Nov 19, 2014, 4:50:43 AM11/19/14
to Arvind P, BBC
Hi Arvind,

Interesting product! But in my case, I already have mud-guards.

- Karthick

Opendro

Nov 19, 2014, 5:38:00 AM11/19/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Moreover, this ass-saver is not supposed to save your ass. The slush that is shot tangentially wheel, which will projectile forward but miss the the end tip of the ass-saver, will eventually fall on top of the ass saver and ass, unless the speed is at a crawling rate.

Prashanth Chengi

Nov 19, 2014, 5:54:25 AM11/19/14
to Opendro, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Is this from actual observation, or is it a wild-ass guess? ;)
Most of the real 'throw' is behind you, as far as the rear wheel is concerned, and contrary to what Ashok was hoping for, in most cases, tail-gaters will be rather safe, as the water takes off at a rather high angle and with enough velocity to go over the heads of tail-gaters and rain down on people two bike lengths or more behind.  A second, thinner stream is generated by water that doesn't fly off earlier and this is what hits the ass, or the ass-saver, if it's in use. This stream is way slower and is quite effectively handled by the ass-saver, I think.  With a mudguard, the ass-saver is really redundant (and quite useless) and without one, you'll be happy but people behind you who aren't tail-gating you, will be cursing you! :)  I've seen this in action.

/Prashanth

Prashanth Chengi

Nov 19, 2014, 6:06:32 AM11/19/14
to Opendro, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
And if a tail gater gets as close as people do when drafting, even the higher angle will not provide safety! Drafting in rain = getting crud shot into the face and mouth.

/Prashanth

Opendro

Nov 19, 2014, 6:06:36 AM11/19/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
It is neither a wild guess nor from actual observation. It is based on theoretical calculation.

In theory, all slush should have been ejected at the ground level, almost horizontal and backward, at the equal and opposite speed of the cycle. But, it does happen that way and the slush gets carried over all the way almost full circle such that it even clogs the front derailleur area, simply because only a certain percentage of the slush gets ejected at any given point and I do agree that the amount ejected does reduce drastically. But it still does - quite significantly enough, specially if the slush is of water + fine sand type.

On the second part - mud guard vs ass saver, I see that ass saver is just about the length of the saddle as I can see from the pic. That is way shorter than a mud guard. Take a typical speed of 18 kmph, i.e. 5 m/s, you can visualize how much of the trajectories will hit the ass and how much of them will miss depending on the length/height of the mud guard vs ass-saver. Refer a rough chart : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Ideal_projectile_motion_for_different_angles.svg (assumes vacuum, but the truth will not be that far for sand particles).

Opendro

Nov 19, 2014, 6:08:25 AM11/19/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Easiest way to judge the residual slush from the rotating wheel is by looking at the slush stuck behind the seat post or below saddle bag.

Prashanth Chengi

Nov 19, 2014, 6:16:19 AM11/19/14
to Opendro, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Depending on the conditions, it's even possible to get slush hitting the back of one's helmet, but even that's something that the ass-saver could cut out. As for the slush hitting the seat post/saddle bag, that's precisely what the ass-saver saves you from. The more common lower angle splash harmlessly goes behind, in most cases, is what I've observed.

/Prashanth

O p e n d r o

Nov 19, 2014, 6:25:02 AM11/19/14
to Prashanth Chengi, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
What you are saying will be true with clear water slush. But in Indian roads, we have much coarse slush. With a 40c semi slick, it gets even nastier. I have a decently long mud guard (http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/accessories/mudguards/seatpost-mudguard/p-969087), much longer than the ass-saver, also fixed just below the saddle on seat post and yet I stick to below 15 kmph. Else, I get big mud spots all over my back.

Ashok Kumar S

Nov 19, 2014, 6:26:32 AM11/19/14
to Prashanth Chengi, Opendro, bangalor...@googlegroups.com

Now, from my actual experience, I get slush on my helmet, on my back, on my saddle, under my saddle, every where.. And when I am behind my ride mates, I get it it my mouth also if I am not careful enough to move laterally on hitting a wet patch...  So, now you guys continue with the theory... :)

-Ashok

Opendro

Nov 19, 2014, 6:30:52 AM11/19/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
LOL. Ok, cut it short. No protection is good enough unless it covers upto at least 80 degrees (as in diagram http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory#mediaviewer/File:Ideal_projectile_motion_for_different_angles.svg)

Prashanth Chengi

Nov 19, 2014, 6:33:36 AM11/19/14
to Ashok Kumar S, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Opendro

I was indeed pointing out behavior with lighter slush. See my extremely crude sketch for what I'm referring to. Considering that the ass-saver product is made in Sweden, it's not surprising that it suits the Swedish conditions so well.

/Prashanth

IMG_20141119_122601.jpg

Prashanth Chengi

Nov 19, 2014, 6:34:21 AM11/19/14
to Ashok Kumar S, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Opendro

I was indeed pointing out behavior with lighter slush. See my extremely crude sketch for what I'm referring to. Considering that the ass-saver product is made in Sweden, it's not surprising that it suits the Swedish conditions so well.

Message has been deleted

Pavan

Nov 19, 2014, 7:14:11 AM11/19/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Bangalor...@googlegroups.com
On rainy days, here is what I do...

Carry my change over clothes and electronic gadgets in a 12ltr waterproof sling bag like so - link.
Wear waterproof pant and jacket. Helmet fastened over the rain jacket hood. Lights on bike front and back.
Footwear were similar to crocs, that are also available in Decathlon now. Spares at office.

As far as the ass-saver is concerned, have used my DIY saver fitted to my bike for over a month now and it has helped indeed during commutes in the rain.
Although not as effective as full fenders, but still works by preventing the entire backside being covered by road (whatever that's left of it) muck stains.
If the saddle bag is fitted onto the bike, it would sit right under the ass-saver taking all the muck as well.

- Pavan

Chidambaran Subramanian

Nov 19, 2014, 8:43:48 AM11/19/14
to Pavan, Bangalore Bikers Club
I put all sensitive stuff (like laptop/mobile) inside multiple plastic layers. Else i don't make any changes for rainy days

maheshv

Nov 19, 2014, 9:01:35 AM11/19/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, pavans...@gmail.com
A Brompton + carradice makes life easier for commute.

Karthick Gururaj

Nov 19, 2014, 10:05:47 PM11/19/14
to maheshv, BBC, pavans...@gmail.com
@chiddu: I know you use slippers, so that is one part taken care off. I have been also carrying a zip lock with me - to stuff laptop. But it is a pain to stop on the way to do all this if I get caught in rain :) I'll be trying out the bag cover.

@Pavan - I agree with all you have said, except: "helmet fastened over the rain jacket hood". Wearing a hood obstructs your capacity to turn your head to look behind. So unless you have good rear-view mirrors, a helmet cap is better than a hood.. but I'm not so bothered with my hair getting wet. And that is also one more issue with poncho - if I turn my head behind to check what is going on, all I see is my poncho. Being able to look behind is very important before deciding to change lanes..

@mahesh - Carradice looks nice, expensive and not available in India :)

- Karthick

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 7:31 PM, maheshv <maheshvenk...@gmail.com> wrote:
A Brompton + carradice makes life easier for commute.

Gandharv Bakshi

Nov 20, 2014, 9:09:05 AM11/20/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, maheshvenk...@gmail.com, pavans...@gmail.com
Hey,
This conversation is super-interesting to me (since my startups makes bags!). Dont you use rain-covers that come with the bag? or is it not a desirable option?

Thanks!
Gandharv

Karthick Gururaj

Nov 20, 2014, 11:20:02 AM11/20/14
to Gandharv Bakshi, BBC, maheshvenk...@gmail.com, pavans...@gmail.com
Hi Gandharv,

Not sure what you mean by "rain-covers that come with the bag"..?

- Karthick

Mayank Rungta

Nov 20, 2014, 11:25:22 AM11/20/14
to Karthick Gururaj, Gandharv Bakshi, BBC, Mahesh V, Pavan Shetty
My macbook got wet in the rain as the all weather cover of my bag had slipped off its place exposing the flier. After that I am really careful about covering the bag well.

To answer your question - yes it is important and it better be good :)
--
MAnY thANKs
--

Want to learn light painting & long exposure photography?

 o__
 _> /__
(_) \(_)... Burn fat not fuel - Byke along to a healthier lyfe and cleaner world! :)
            Join the Bangalore Bikers Club - http://goo.gl/sbbdR9

Karthick Gururaj

Nov 21, 2014, 2:31:30 AM11/21/14
to Mayank Rungta, Gandharv Bakshi, BBC, Mahesh V, Pavan Shetty
Hi Mayank,

What is this "all weather cover"?? I didn't understand Gandhav's email as well. Are you guys talking about some specific product in the market that comes with a bag cover?

- Karthick

Gandharv Bakshi

Nov 21, 2014, 2:35:00 AM11/21/14
to Karthick Gururaj, Mayank Rungta, BBC, Mahesh V, Pavan Shetty
Hey Karthick,
So, these days, quite a few bags come with their own rain cover. So, when it rains, you can just cover the backpack (even if it is a laptop backpack) with a rain cover to protect the contents. For example, when it rains, I put my wallet, phone etc into the rain cover. It works quite well usually.

Of course, if you dont have one or your bag did not come with one, you can attempt a DIY solution for it as well. Though, it is important to make sure it fits the bag well, so it doesn't get blown away in the wind etc!

Gandharv

Pavan

Nov 24, 2014, 6:37:01 AM11/24/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, maheshvenk...@gmail.com, pavans...@gmail.com
Hi Karthick,

Just needed to clarify that when fastening the helmet over the rain jacket hood, make sure that turning of head is not obstructed (i.e., the hood is clearly out of the way from the face) leaving a enough room in the hood to turn the head with ease. As far as the poncho is concerned, it is NOT to be used when cycling but is ideal when trekking/walking. There are rain jackets available specific to cycling/biking that does not hinder the view when you turn your head to look behind.
Also, getting your hair (on the head) wet is very likely to leave you with a cold. But it sure is fun to ride in the rain. :)

Opendro

Nov 24, 2014, 6:43:50 AM11/24/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I hope, we don't flare up with another medical advice war ;)

Pavan

Nov 24, 2014, 6:50:40 AM11/24/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
@Opendro,
Nevertheless, will be interested to know the good doctors here to shed some light here.
It's quite possible I could be wrong. :)

Ashok Kumar S

Nov 24, 2014, 6:53:47 AM11/24/14
to Opendro, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
:) I get my hair wet every time I take bath and also during my commutes/rides/runs in the rain. 😉

Thanks and regards,
Ashok.

Sent from my iPhone

Pavan