advice on a new bike

Sherin Stephen

Aug 22, 2013, 2:10:01 AM8/22/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fellow Bikers,
I have been a cycle enthusiast since quite long and wanted to start off my adventure in Bangalore (longing for this since an year :)).
Planning to dump my car for office commute and take up a hybrid.
I have tested Bergamont 2.3 at BOTS .  Now that i got another option to get a used Schwinn 2011 Frontier Sport  (which is not a hybrid, but owner claims that he change to a leaner Tyre when buying) for 8k, Which one should i go for ? I am a bit inexperienced in terms of these super bikes (even through entry level) .
My usage will be primarily office commute and occasional weekend getaways.   I some how prefer a hybird than a mountain bike from my ride tests and i want to start with an entry level one and if it goes really well, upgrade some time later.
i didn't decide on a budget yet, worse case i may hit till around 25k to start with.
Any advice is highly appreciated.

thanks
Sherin

Hari Kishan

Aug 22, 2013, 8:44:07 AM8/22/13
to Sherin Stephen, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Sherin

I ride Schwinn frontier sport 2012. It is really good. It has a good 6061 aluminium frame and worth the money you spend. I really enjoy riding it in almost all terrains. It is just 13 kgs (think good for an MTB). Don't know about other brands.

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Thanks,
Hari Kishan,

" We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. "    -- Aristotle.

suman paul

Aug 22, 2013, 8:59:58 AM8/22/13
to Sherin Stephen, bangalor...@googlegroups.com

Bergamont

thank you & regards

suman

+91      9886300685

Hari Kishan

vinod

Aug 22, 2013, 12:02:32 PM8/22/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Bergamont .

Sherin Stephen

Aug 22, 2013, 10:55:43 PM8/22/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks people for the feedbacks. I'm adding a little more confusion here. Ruled out frontier sport since the one in question didn't seem feasible. Added KHS ultra sport 2 to the prospect list. I saw this one @ procycle in indiranagar. Strangely the guy there didn't allow me to take out the bike for a test ride. Instead he insisted on doing it on top of their indoor machine. That was a bit of a turn off for me, but I kinda liked the specs of this khs. He told they stopped stocking bergamont since they had lot of issues with them. Hopefully not bikes that caused issues. Or was he trying to push for a better sales margin one, I don't know. Moving out of bangalore for this weekend, so my quest will continue starting next week. Nice to see a lot of helping hands here. Hope I can narrow down to something by end of next week. Bergamont still lingers around in my mind. Am I a bit biased?

Pradeep Naidu

Aug 23, 2013, 12:25:51 AM8/23/13
to Sherin Stephen, Bangalore Bikers Club
Why MTB for commutes? or also some occasional long rides... Pls go for a hybrid atleast..

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 7:55 PM, Sherin Stephen <sherin....@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Pradeep Naidu S
The Engine...

Anand Devanathan

Aug 23, 2013, 1:16:17 AM8/23/13
to Pradeep Naidu, Sherin Stephen, Bangalore Bikers Club
Sherin,

I am surprised you were informed Bergamonts have lot of issues - a generic sweeping statement like that?

I own a Bergamont Vitox 7.2 which I bought in Oct 2012, and my colleague just got himself a Bergamont Helix 2.3 - on July 31, 2013. My bike has done around 4500 km, and we just finished a one way cycle ride to Kanyakumari on our bikes.

Incidentally it so happens, that our bikes were the only ones without a single hitch on the entire journey. I simply loved the Helix 2.3.

And I swear by my Vitox anyday. I havent really abused it on downhills, but its had its fair share of offroading.

I wont argue about MTB vs other types for commute, thats entirely "to each his own", but for me everyday I ride my bike to office I thank myself quite a bit for making the right decision.
Regards,
Anand.

Anand Devanathan

Aug 23, 2013, 1:22:08 AM8/23/13
to Pradeep Naidu, Sherin Stephen, Bangalore Bikers Club
Just to give you some interesting info: the other bikes on the KK ride were Schwinn Searcher, Schwinn Sporterra, Riverside 1, Trek 4300 (a pretty good bike, no issues with this either). I am not concluding anything based on one long ride, but just for a small perspective :)

If you do decide on a MTB or a hybrid, Bergamonts are strong contenders. Please verify with more stores and other owners for feedback as well before you make a decision.
--
Regards,
Anand.

Sanath Kumar S D

Aug 23, 2013, 1:24:33 AM8/23/13
to Anand Devanathan, Pradeep Naidu, Sherin Stephen, Bangalore Bikers Club
Anand +1

Regards,

Sanath
+ 91 988 019 4896

Sherin Stephen

Aug 23, 2013, 3:29:47 AM8/23/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Appreciate all your help. The store guy didn't say that bergamont itself has a problem. I think it should be some dealership issue. He was stating the reason why he don't have a stock of it. Anyways I felt it was more unfair denying a road test on khs ultra sport 2.0 2013 hybrid. Anyone with an experience on it? Look wise it's a solid bike with descent components. Feeling impatient being away from Bangalore. Will ride helix in BOTS one more time. That could be my beast, you never know.

Vishnu Janardhanan S

Aug 23, 2013, 4:38:45 AM8/23/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I have an ultra sport 2 medium which my wife uses.
I am really happy with it. I think KHS lists it under khsbicycles.com>2013 KHS Models>Mountain>Hardtail>700C.
I stay in Hoodi circle, if you want to try.

vinod

Aug 25, 2013, 6:32:01 AM8/25/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Sherin,

If you have fascination for a particular model/ brand , take a test ride of it, and if you felt comfortable with it, take it.
No need to worry about bikes that you haven't test rode so far.

I have a road bike (Fuji Sportif) and I'm planning to buy a Bergamont MTB/hybrid as second bike. Because while selecting my road bike I happened to test ride a Bergamont hybrid and I really liked it, but had to let it go as I wanted a road bike at that time.

Regards
Vinod

Sherin Stephen

Aug 27, 2013, 7:20:11 AM8/27/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hello People !!!
Bergamont Helix 2.3 it is.  Its rocking.
BOTS guys helped me tune it for my fit. Highly recommend them for any potential buyers.
A BIG Thanks for everyone who pitched in.

Sanath Kumar S D

Aug 27, 2013, 7:26:20 AM8/27/13
to Sherin Stephen, Bangalore Bikers Club
All the best Sherin . . . .

and about BOTS team . . . . it is a very well know factor . . .

Regards,

Sanath Kumar S D

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Anand Devanathan

Aug 27, 2013, 7:34:51 AM8/27/13
to Sanath Kumar S D, Sherin Stephen, Bangalore Bikers Club
all the best...ride safe :)
Anand.