Bangalore to Kanyakumari

Amar Harolikar

Dec 26, 2009, 8:26:39 AM12/26/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Just back from Bangalore to Kanyakumari ride.

Went straight down - via Salem - Madurai - Tirunelveli. Original plan
was to cycle down to Chennai and then trace the cost via pondycherry -
but leave days got reduced .

Overall a nice and luxurious ride –total of around 750 km – over 6
days - average 125 per day – overall down gradient – light tail winds
– cool air – intermittent drizzle – 4 lane highway with a wide
shoulder.

D1: Blr to Krishnagiri – 90 km

8.40 am to 4 pm (check out to check in time including time taken to
locate accommodation) – cruising at 18 kmph. lots of breaks due to
seat height and other adjustments.

easy ride – 60% effort levels

steep down gradient from hosur onwards- must be around a 30% dn.

D2: Krishnagiri to Salem - 110 km

8 am to 5 pm (check out to check in ) – cruising at 15 kmph – wind
neutral to diagonal tail.

easy ride – 50% effort – mostly down gradient – seemed like an overall
15% down.

D3: Salem to Karur – 100 km

7.45 am to 4.30 pm p- easy ride – mostly down gradient 7% – 60% effort
levels.

D4 : Karur to Madurai – 130 km

7-45 to 6.30 pm – 13 kmph cruising – easy ride – down gradient – last
50 km there was a strong tail wind, cool air and light drizzle - 60%
effort levels

D5 : Madurai to Tirunelveli – 140 km

6.45 am to 5.45 pm (check in to check out time). 16 kmph cruising.
overall a 10% dn with cool air, intermittent drizzle and light tail.
easy ride – 65% effort levels

D6: Tirunelveli – Kanyakumari -Trivandrum – 180 km

6.45 am to 9.30 am – time lost due to roaming around in kanyakumari /
valve breakdown / night riding rigging up / chain cleaning for sand
clogging

overall 15 kmph cruising. Tirunelveli to Kanyakumari was a down
gradient 7% with strong tail wind – crusing at 20 kmph . Kanyakumari
to Trivandrum was a tough road – two lane – no shoulder – heavy
traffic-rolling terrain with overall 15% up gradient.

effort levels at 80% – mostly due to taking a shortcut on meals
initially.

Amar
http://ItIsNotAboutTheBike.blogspot.com/

Yogesh N. Rao

Dec 29, 2009, 11:24:30 PM12/29/09
to Amar Harolikar, Bangalore Bikers Club
Did you do this on a single gear Atlas?

> --
> biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
>
> are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
> Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details

frNZi

Dec 30, 2009, 12:56:35 AM12/30/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
WoW! you did that on a Single speed!!!!
You are legendary mate...
Good job..

Mallik

Dec 30, 2009, 2:56:44 AM12/30/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Day 6 - 180 KM on the Atlas cycle.
crazy fellow!

Mallik

Nallathambi Perumal K

Dec 30, 2009, 4:54:31 AM12/30/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Wow Amar, inspirational stuff,
You went to my native place (very near to Kanyakumari) on a heavy Atlas single speed cycle.. awesome.
Hats off to you dude.
Rgds,
Nalla.

prashanth selvaraj

Dec 30, 2009, 4:57:55 AM12/30/09
to Nallathambi Perumal K, Bangalore Bikers Club
This guy does not need any components :D Awesome!

Prashanth

Prabhakar R

Dec 30, 2009, 5:31:40 AM12/30/09
to prashanth selvaraj, Nallathambi Perumal K, Bangalore Bikers Club

Hi ,

Next, i ll go to my native with my bike. :)
250kms, got inspired by amar.

-prab

Nadana Sigamani

Dec 31, 2009, 6:52:33 AM12/31/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Amar,

You  are a tremendous  inspiration to another Single Speed rider -- me. I've been riding one for the last 9 months.
Pure biking. Nothing else.

Siga

Amar Harolikar

Dec 30, 2009, 7:29:56 AM12/30/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks for all the nice thoughts and comments. Till now I had been
doing long rides / tours on road bikes and sometimes on mountain bikes
(geared ones). Have been using the Atlas since the past 6-9 months.
used to ride it very regularly long time back (late 80's / early 90's)
for many years, before i moved on to road bikes / geared bikes.
Finding it very comfortable for bike trips. Fantastic ergonomics -
very comfortable riding position - almost no pain in backside /
palms / wrist. A little extra effort needed on inclines, but one gets
used to it after a while

And Prabhakar - wish you all the best for your bike trip to your
native !

On Dec 30, 3:31 pm, Prabhakar R <itsmeprabha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> Next, i ll go to my native with my bike. :)
> 250kms, got inspired by amar.
>
> -prab
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 3:27 PM, prashanth selvaraj <
>

> prashanthselva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This guy does not need any components :D Awesome!
>
> > Prashanth
>
> > On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Nallathambi Perumal K <
> > nallako...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Wow Amar, inspirational stuff,
> >> You went to my native place (very near to Kanyakumari) on a heavy Atlas
> >> single speed cycle.. awesome.
> >> Hats off to you dude.
> >> Rgds,
> >> Nalla.

> >>  --
> >> biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
>
> >> are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?

> >> Visitwww.bangalorebicyclechampionships.comfor more details

Aswin S

Jan 5, 2010, 5:10:24 AM1/5/10
to Amar Harolikar, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Amar,

I am humbled. Excellent riding. Straight into the hall of fame. I hope you keep doing such wonderful things and bring back the focus to "Its-not-about-the-bike" into a community that is largely shifting towards expensive and sophisticated bikes :-)

--
Regards
Aswin