Should I buy a road or some bike?

S W Holmes

May 3, 2016, 6:49:23 AM5/3/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi all,
I was part of this community since the start of career. It has been three good years too. I started with a RR 5.1 and rode for 500 miles before selling it and bought an Mongoose Tyax Comp which I ride till date for some good 2000 miles. I ride this and breath this everyday for good thirty kilometers a day lately and some fifties and few hundreds over the weekend. I ride it purely for the adrenaline rush I get and to keep and make me in some shape.
Strava tells me I average around 25kmph on 30km trip with 130 m elevation gain and max at 58-59 kmph.on the rides with the kenda small blocks .

Now I had kind of outgrew the bike need a 21"/22" bike. Considering the major use is on roads should I go ahead and buy a road bike? I have plans of pursuing something in some fifteen months and move offsite. So, hardly an year or so left here.

I am also more interested in some form of touring, might be the Leh/Some NE India and some good Andaman islands and some where I haven't discovered and still searching. I know a cyclocross/touring bike would fit but I am not still mad enough (rich enough) to pour money into it.

I also have someone interested in selling the Trek 4300D 21" 2012 for 21k (used for 2k, tarmac ridden, stock; and plans to run slicks on good roads, if i pick). Should I buy that and put V brakes and drop bar with bar-end shifter and make it as tourer or the Trek can handle as much anything you throw as such? or anything apart from this you do have?

Thanks for reading out! and have pleasant summer (I know its damn hot).

/Holmes

Opendro

May 3, 2016, 7:54:39 AM5/3/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
You know what, if you had the same junkyard that I have at home, I would have advised you to buy one MTB, one road bike, one hybrid, one single speed and one unicycle - I have all five of them, for me alone :-D

From what you have been doing, it is hard to suggest anything. If touring far and long distances is in your mind, I would think that a road bike is a better idea. Make sure that it can take at least 28c tires. Since you are already fast on MTB, your strava logs on road bike will also give you a high :-)

If selling in a couple of years is your idea, I suggest you not to buy a high end one. Choose a mass market segment.

Happy touring ;)

S W Holmes

May 3, 2016, 9:18:23 AM5/3/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Opendro,
Already quite a lot of rubber, metal and grips and whole lot of stuff in here.

Everyone apologize for the poor punctuation, and typo, and grammar in the main post. Would proof read thereafter.

/Holmes

Prashanth Chengi

May 3, 2016, 9:23:02 AM5/3/16
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
And Open probably has multiple wheelsets (and groupsets) too, which radically change bike characteristics, so he potentially has more than five bikes in all!

/Prashanth

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

S W Holmes

May 4, 2016, 5:15:07 AM5/4/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I don't want to be competition to Open and others then.
I'm looking for Jack of all bike. Quite an extensive list I've plotted in the original post.

One more, lesser the clutter more the focus is what my productivity guru said. Going by this I want to maintain one bike and yes I dont want a garage along with it at this moment.