Re: [BBC] Need a bike. Starter/noob. Budget ~10K. Gear and (if at all possible) shockers. Commute around.

pradeep naidu

Aug 21, 2012, 7:49:39 AM8/21/12
to AMAR, bangalor...@googlegroups.com

Buy a second hand doodhwalla cycle..dont pay more than 500 or 1000rs. Try it for a month. If u still carry the same enthusiasm. Then go to decathlon and buy rr.

On 21 Aug 2012 16:50, "AMAR" <ma...@amark.in> wrote:

I am planning to start biking as a hobby and as a fitness enthusiast. I urgently need to be (a lot) more fit than I am right now, not weight wose though. BMI is 23.5 & 25<Age<26.

I had used Hero Jet Plus till class 10, Hero Neon and Hero Hawk during senior secondary and intial 6 months of college. I am not sure which one I should go for intially and how much should I put in as intial biking investment. I will also need accessories.

Yesterday I went to Decathlon and tried RR 5.1 and 5.2. They seemed cool but I was not sure if buying an INR 15K bike as my first one will be prudent as I am not confident how long I shall be able to carry my enthusiasm forward.

What do you think is a very good choice for an entry level bike (for a biking noob)?

--description copied-pasted from original discussion http://hackerstreet.in/item?id=19236

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details

anilk...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2012, 8:35:16 AM8/21/12
to AMAR, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Amar,

For some reason if you think you are restricted to 10k right now....wait for couple of more months and buy a better bike otherwise don't buy.

Every Rupee what you pay is more than worth it.

aNIL s kadsur
Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

From: AMAR <ma...@amark.in>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 03:16:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [BBC] Need a bike. Starter/noob. Budget ~10K. Gear and (if at all possible) shockers. Commute around.

Vasu

Aug 21, 2012, 8:41:26 AM8/21/12
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
"I urgently need to be (a lot) more fit than I am right now, not weight wose though."

The enthusiasm to:

a) carry it forward and
b) buy a good bike by paying more $$

is proportional to the urgency in the sentence above.

If it is urgent (and important) enough to get back to normal weight i.e. BMI < 23 then you will surely get a good bike and work out and run and control your diet and... and... and...

else, nothing will happen.

Suggest, you make up your mind on how badly you want this and then ask the members of the group about which bike to buy. Else, i am sure our members have important things to do.

S Chidambaran

Aug 21, 2012, 9:00:53 AM8/21/12
to Vasu, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Don't take up cycling. My BMI is about 27 and I use a cycle quite frequently. Anil Kadsur (who commented earlier) didn't look too emaciated either when I met him last.

Having said that though, if you are cycling after a long time, there will be an initial impact on weight. My guess is to take it from those levels it takes more effort. For a real heavy person of course the change is huge.

Regards
Chiddu

AMAR

Aug 21, 2012, 11:02:41 AM8/21/12
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, AMAR, anilk...@gmail.com
You are right. Given the fact that I used to be an avid biker. And 3 months in Korea (Suwon) I cycled a lot and loved every bit of it. Especially in the snow and full of sweat all over. I think I will rather buy a good one. Once a biker always a biker :-)..
Almost made up my mind and I think i can go upto 15 or 20L../ mostly ~15K..

Hey Anil, the reason that I restricted the budget had mainly to do with how am I gonna use it and all.
Thanks for your lines.

AMAR

Aug 21, 2012, 11:09:52 AM8/21/12
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Vasu
Hey Chiddu,

As I mentioned in post I am not overweight. Not at all. I am 5' 9" and 71-72 kg.

Cycling is mostly for the joy of it and the extra fitness andd developing stamina..edurance.

PS. During the last medical checkup the doctor asked for my parent's medical history (I haven't iherited very strong genes) and advised me to take extra care of my fitness.

AMAR

Aug 21, 2012, 11:18:30 AM8/21/12
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Dear Vasu.

I wouldn't indulge in the formalities of pleasantries like "appreciate your time and comment" because I actually don't. There are people in this group who have been very helpful and I am believe I shall get a good deal having been informed. Hell even at HackerStreet I got very helpful response.

No offense taken but in case you have not taken then I am at normal weight. That's alright.

>>If it is urgent (and important) enough to get back to normal weight i.e. BMI < 23  ...

It's urgent too and I firmly believe I needed input from people who have done it and know better than me. Hence I asked and will do it again if needed.

>>Else, i am sure our members have important things to do.

Next time, you see my post, or any other's for that matter, on cycling, espeically a starter, you better give him/her tips on nuclear science or block his mails or post.
Thanks but no thanks!

@All, I am sorry for the rant/whinning but I just felt bad.

AMAR

Aug 21, 2012, 11:20:38 AM8/21/12
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, AMAR
Ok .. "doodhwalla"".. that's nice. It was my first bicycle. A hard earned one.
Pradeep, I am sure there are a lot many bicyles between "doodhwallah" one and sth in my range 10-15/20. Thanks for helping BTW.

I hope I endup with one bicycle by next Sunday.

Vasu

Aug 21, 2012, 12:02:24 PM8/21/12
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I am not too sure about this and I will be happy to be proved wrong:

The doodhwala cycle will actually do the job and is worth the money paid for it.

I am not sure if the ones <10 k or 10 - 12k (non decathlon) will do the job as they are supposed to i.e. for a bike for 10 - 12k.

However, when you go above 15k then you are not looking at Indian brands because not many make any bikes in that range.

radiant_luv

Aug 21, 2012, 12:39:58 PM8/21/12
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, AMAR, anilk...@gmail.com
I agree with aNIL, a better bike means more chances that you carry your enthusiasm for longer and may be forever.

cheers,
dip

pradeep naidu

Aug 21, 2012, 2:00:31 PM8/21/12
to radiant_luv, AMAR, anilk...@gmail.com, bangalor...@googlegroups.com

Hmmmm....amar...in ur first mail u mentioned ur budget was ~10k with shocks and gears (optional u said).  didnt know how long your enthusiasm will be thr. Wanted to save u some money and then u could go for 15 to 20k bike as u mention.

Here the whole point is..everyone here wants you to continue cycling for long and to do tht we all wish u have a better bike than bso's.

Underline is buy a good bike.  Visit bots or wheelsports.

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicy...

Amarendra Kumar

Aug 21, 2012, 2:21:10 PM8/21/12
to pradeep naidu, radiant_luv, anilk...@gmail.com, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I was hoping there might be some brand that could offer a good bicycle in that range, with the features I wished to get. Turns out there isn't.
I have received valuable suggestions here and other forum. I will update once I have bought my bike. Hope by the end of this week.
--
Amarendra Kumar
http://amark.in

Stay hungry, stay foolish.

Karthick Gururaj

Aug 22, 2012, 2:46:59 AM8/22/12
to AMAR, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amar,

Good to know you got the answers you were looking for.

One of the best answers on how to ask questions on public forums, *even* if you do not grok geek is: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html (a kind soul pointed me to the page many years ago).

Specifically:
a. http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#forum
b. http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#urgent
c. http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#keepcool