Thattekere via Ragihalli safe?

Mooseman

Jul 13, 2017, 6:25:17 AM7/13/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hello,

Has anybody done the thattekere lake ride via ragi halli state forest recently?

Is it safe? Is it allowed by the forest officials?

This is the route -- > http://tinyurl.com/y75eydnw

Do let me know.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 13, 2017, 7:22:55 AM7/13/17
to Mooseman, Bangalore Bikers Club
2 years back I did this. Had to argue with the forest officials for close to an hour before they let me in. Enter the forest before 6 am , the forest officials come to work only at that time. It is silly but when they are there they will give you a hard time

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com

Opendro

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 13, 2017, 7:32:34 AM7/13/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
When I argued about the villagers , they said 'All the villagers use a bike Sir, nobody cycles anymore' . There was a death that year , when someone wandered into the forest. I argued, and argued, refused to budge. Eventually they let me in.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 13, 2017, 7:36:28 AM7/13/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
However, I presume you know of those 12 crocs in Thattekere lake.

krishna chandu

Jul 13, 2017, 8:02:59 AM7/13/17
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
It was okay few years ago when we did a ride. We were around 20+ riders then and we too had to please the officer there to allow us and finally got in the route.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 13, 2017, 9:17:19 AM7/13/17
to krishna chandu, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Err, how did ypu 'please' the officier?

Did you say 'Please' in a certain torn. The thread was fun reading

Yateesh Kumar

Jul 13, 2017, 10:07:32 AM7/13/17
to Mooseman, Bangalore Bikers Club
Is it allowed?  NO

Is it safe?
Well, it's debatable. Few pointers here

This area is known for elephant movement throughout the year.
Home for leopards
Villagers encounter bears on regular basis.
There was a wild tiger movement reported for couple of months trying to enter bannerughatta Safari area again through the same surroundings.

Now, I hope you can decide for yourself if you can outrun them in case needed.

If I remember right, one guy who took this route to BBCh venue on harohalli - jigani stretch few years ago came face to face with an elephant. His bike was
ಪs pounded to pulp. However, the guy miraculously escaped and hid himself in a trench to avoid its fury. (you can search the thread in the group)

All the best!!

Cheers

Mooseman

Jul 13, 2017, 10:16:38 AM7/13/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, vik...@gmail.com
Woah! Seems like this place is more trouble than I had anticipated. Will probably drop it. :-/
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bangalore-bike...@googlegroups.com.

Mooseman

Jul 13, 2017, 10:17:11 AM7/13/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, ope...@gmail.com
Yes. Wasnt planning to enter the lake in any case.

krishna chandu

Jul 14, 2017, 12:03:15 AM7/14/17
to vikas, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
There was a talk that a mad elephant was walking across that route and attacked a cyclist then. Perhaps that is whom Yateesh is talking about.

Ya as a pledge, we convinced and promised that officer that we will not make any sound or invite any animal with our ride and maintain silence through the route :D It was around 8-9 am that we went and may be he is ok with that time to let us go.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 14, 2017, 12:44:22 AM7/14/17
to Yateesh Kumar, Mooseman, Bangalore Bikers Club
The road is open , and is used by motor vehicles throughout the day. It is debatable whether a cycle is safer or not.
The incident with Joe happened in the Harohalli - jigani route not here, and he was there extra early. (Not on this route).

The road is technically supposed to be closed at night I think but the locals use it throughout

santosh kumar

Jul 14, 2017, 2:38:55 AM7/14/17
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Mooseman, Yateesh Kumar, Bangalore Bikers Club
The elephant is mad? :)

ಜುಲೈ 14, 2017 10:14 ಪೂರ್ವಾಹ್ನ ರಂದು, "Chidambaran Subramanian" <chi...@gmail.com> ಅವರು ಬರೆದಿದ್ದಾರೆ:

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 14, 2017, 3:15:23 AM7/14/17
to santosh kumar, Mooseman, Yateesh Kumar, Bangalore Bikers Club
Which one? The one that attacked Joe was probably in rut, the impact probably threw the rider into the ditch , that incident happened in 2012

Opendro

abhay kerur

Jul 14, 2017, 5:16:37 AM7/14/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
BTW, last week or two back there was some crocodile attack at Ragihalli lake. It was in the papers

Regards,
Abhay Kerur

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 14, 2017, 5:35:46 AM7/14/17
to abhay kerur, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Thattekere, not Ragihalli

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 14, 2017, 5:36:24 AM7/14/17
to abhay kerur, Ashish Nabira, Deepa Mohan, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
How did those crocs get there? No major river nearby! I remember Ashish had posted the crocs image a few years back

Opendro

Jul 14, 2017, 6:36:05 AM7/14/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
When was this? My kids played in water in Jan last year there.We had fun mtbing and unicycling on the shore.
Thattekere, not Ragihalli

--
Regards,
Abhay Kerur

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 14, 2017, 6:42:49 AM7/14/17
to Ashish Nabira, Deepa Mohan, Opendro, abhay kerur, Bangalore Bikers Club
When was that Ashish ?

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Ashish Nabira <ashish...@gmail.com> wrote:
I discovered crocs accidently when I went there with my wife. Yes I heard any the incident where one person lost his arm to croc there. Cycles are not allowed there. A forest guard is always there. Only on Sunday people are allowed to Temple which is close to lake

Deepa Mohan

Jul 14, 2017, 8:50:00 AM7/14/17
to Chidambaran Subramanian, abhay kerur, Ashish Nabira, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
No kere at Ragihalli as far as I know. This was news from Thattekere
which is quite a distance away.

Ragihalli State (Reserve) Forest right now has a lot of elephant
movement and on my visits last Sunday and the one before that, we did
see wild elephants...females with calves, and tuskers...both of which
are even more unpredictable than usual. It's still amazing to me to
see the speed at which they can appear...and how they can melt into
the foliage when they move just a few feet.

On a cycle, you have no protection at all. So I'd advice not cycling
on the Ragihalli/Shivanahalli road. Yes, some villagers do so...but
many of them carry firecrackers (which is an illegal thing to do).

There has also been several boar and bear sightings lately. Both these
animals are uncertain-tempered too!

Cheers, Deepa.

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Chidambaran Subramanian
>>> Regards,
>>> Abhay Kerur
>>>
>>> --
>>> Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
>>> bangalorebikersclub.com
>>> ---

suman paul

Jul 14, 2017, 9:51:38 AM7/14/17
to Deepa Mohan, Chidambaran Subramanian, abhay kerur, Ashish Nabira, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club

Manjula is quite regular on jigani - harohalli road, probably she can tell us some adventurous stories. I've done that stretch couple of times alone. Whenever the forest range comes I keep thinking, if from this corner or that corner a leopard pops up then what would be my action ! Apparently there is no escape if a big cat shows up in front of you. But that part of the road is quite thrilling.

Now lets go back to the crocodiles of thattekere or just wondering is there mermaids also !

thank you & regards

suman

+ 91 9886300685

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 15, 2017, 12:33:47 AM7/15/17
to suman paul, Deepa Mohan, abhay kerur, Ashish Nabira, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Guys please dont confuse the harohalli - jigani stretch with the ragihalli stretch. The ragihalli stretch is quite dense and low traffic.
I used to go on the harohalli jigani stretch a lot, only stopped because of the congestion on kanakapura road and the mess for the last couple of kms.

> --
> Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
> bangalorebikersclub.com
> ---

Arvind P

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 22, 2017, 8:41:42 AM7/22/17
to Arvind P, Bangalore Bikers Club, vikas
In May 2010 we went in a group. That road was still open. I heard an elephant trumpet at close range. I suddenly managed to find some extra momentum to catch up with the others (who were out of sight, about a km away from me)