Injury from mechanical failure of Purefix cycle

Mooseman

May 24, 2018, 4:54:48 AM5/24/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I have been riding a Purefix for 2 years. Recently, while cycling around GM palya ( near Malleshpalya road ) the seat post of the cycle  snapped and I lost balance , falling pretty badly.
I landed on my back and took soft tissue injuries. I was basically immobile for 8 days. The pain and suffering I experienced in those 8 days were the worst of my life.

I tweeted both BOTS and Purefix about it a couple of days after it happed.I have recieved absolutely no response from either of them. A responsible cycle shop should own up mistakes they make. Mistakes that put lives of people in danger.

I have sent emails to both BOTS and purefix. Hopefully they acknowledge the issue and improve the quality of the seat posts and not let this happen to another customer. People's lives are at stake.

cycl2.JPG
cycl1.JPG

Shankar Shastry

May 24, 2018, 7:36:46 AM5/24/18
to Mooseman, Bangalore Bikers Club
Wow. The last time something like this happened, it was on a hercules ACT110 and around 8 years ago IIRC. A well made alloy seatpost should not break off like that. I for one am happy that I'm building a purefix from the frame up and used a different alloy seatpost than from pure cycles.

Also, I'm quite surprised BOTS hasn't responded - why don't you try emailing them instead of social media?

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com

Mooseman

May 24, 2018, 8:09:26 AM5/24/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I have mailed them as well. Waiting for a reply.

TFN Deepak

May 24, 2018, 8:32:22 AM5/24/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I would appreciate if you walk in to BOTS showroom where you have bought it. Complaining on Internet or social media wont work.*
And its 2 years and i am sure it has gone with enough stress but this is less possible issue as these products are made for life time usage and covers life time Warranty

*i am mention this considering that you haven't physically visited them with faulty product

Ali Poonawala

May 24, 2018, 8:38:16 AM5/24/18
to TFN Deepak, Sharath Chandar
I was not aware seat posts come with life time warranty...
Frame yes..
Seat post is basically compromised area from stress point if view...
A frame holding the seat is joined to a metal pipe....
Can you give life time guarantee ?

Just wondering..
No technical input here...

Ali

TFN Deepak

May 24, 2018, 8:47:12 AM5/24/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Ali Sir, I am also not sure about it.Just Guessed as its not a moving part.

Rohan Kini

May 24, 2018, 8:49:03 AM5/24/18
to TFN Deepak, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hey Mooseman,

Just seeing this. Shucks, sorry to hear about this unfortunate experience. Falling off your bike is not cool.

We can directly reach out to Pure Fix on this case. We're put hundreds on Pure Fix bikes and this is a first. These guys are pretty good with warranty and rider support, which is one of the reasons we work with them to bring their bikes for Indian cyclists.

We do our best to handle customer service and ensure its super fast. We do fault at times, only because we don't know about the issue and not because we don't want to do anything about it.
I will reach out to you directly on this.

Again, super sorry about your experience. It should not happen to any rider - Pure Fix or any other brand.

regards
Rohan

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Ali Poonawala

May 24, 2018, 10:16:33 AM5/24/18
to Rohan Kini, TFN Deepak, Bangalore Bikers Club
Rohan's response should help a bit to soothe the damage...!
By The Way,
What is the white powdery stuff on both sides inside the hollow post ?

Curious as the cat !

Ali

Amar

May 24, 2018, 10:17:18 AM5/24/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Unfortunate Indeed hope you do not have any severe injuries

Have been riding a Schwinn Sporterra & Trek 7.1 FX both have Alloy Seat Posts without any issues

Steel Seat Posts dont have snapping issues unless rusted

itisravi

May 24, 2018, 11:09:11 AM5/24/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club

Was the seat post raised above the minimum insertion marker by any chance?
-Ravi

Narayan R

May 24, 2018, 1:12:58 PM5/24/18
to itisravi, Bangalore Bikers Club
Sorry for your injury. Seat posts are designed for life time  even though not warranted.

This is a weird failure mode for a seat post.

If you don't mind, can I have a look at the broken sample. Please don't throw them away.

Please share more photos if possible of the cross section, a spot of failure.
These are for academic interest.

Sorry again for your injuries.

With Regards,
 R Narayan

Opendro

May 25, 2018, 2:32:27 AM5/25/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
From the second pic, it is clear that the saddle was pushed too far behind. That will put too much stress on the post. This is not to suggest that it should break. Just saying. Yeah, the way it broke so cleanly, it is unacceptable.

Jayaprakash E

May 25, 2018, 5:49:10 AM5/25/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Unfortunate incident. Pray for your complete recovery. Thanks for sharing it here, so that we can double check the bicycle parts frequently.

drshankar tv

May 27, 2018, 9:35:00 PM5/27/18
to Mooseman, Bangalore Bikers Club
cycl1.JPG
As it’s been highlighted by Opendro, seat is pushed back completely which would have put undue pressure on the seat post resulting in snapping due to leverage effect.. which is unfortunate, hope this will be a lesson for us.
Shankar.
--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---
<cycl2.JPG>
<cycl1.JPG>

Girish V

May 27, 2018, 10:11:33 PM5/27/18
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Unless the seat rocks due to this position, I do not understand why the seat post should break like that?
It looks eerily similar to my hercules act 110+ seat post which broke exactly at the same spot due to bad
welding. Luckily that was not sudden and the protrusion from the top end of the seat post saved me from
falling.

For another question of raising above the minimum mark, in that case the post should break close to where
it gets attached to the frame, not near the seat as in this case.

Definitely its a manufacturing defect and un-lucky for the OP to get one :(

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Prashanth Chengi

May 27, 2018, 11:26:59 PM5/27/18
to Girish V, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
It doesn't have to rock. The stresses would be insane, if the seat is that far back. To understand leverage causing stress failure, take an ordinary matchstick and hold its head tightly between your thumb and forefinger, and with a finger from your other hand, press down firmly at the tail end of the stick (no rocking required); the matchstick will snap without much effort. Take another matchstick and now hold it about midway between your thumb and forefinger and repeat the exercise. You'll observe that it won't break unless you apply a greatly higher amount of force. I mark my seatpost with a piece of tape to mark my preferred height; it's probably a good idea to mark the saddle position on the rail also.

/Prashanth

Ali Poonawala

May 30, 2018, 1:43:24 AM5/30/18
to drshankar tv, Mooseman, Sharath Chandar
Looking at the metal railing ends...One end is well housed but another seems out of housing..
That will apply torque too, apart from simple leverage..
Do the more enlightened members agree ?

Ali Poonawala
cycl1.JPG

Mooseman

Aug 23, 2018, 9:58:52 AM8/23/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Wanted to close this thread. I ended up getting a refund from Purefix.

I took almost a month to completely recover. I'm back on the saddle.