The Giant Roam 3 - the Ambassador car of hybrids bikes!

Gandharv Bakshi

Mar 4, 2015, 10:04:19 AM3/4/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hey,
I have been riding a Giant Roam 3 (24-speed Hybrid) for the last 6 months. Given how superbly the bike has performed, I wanted to share its performance with you all.

Total Kms done: 2,800kms
Road type: Bangalore roads, highways (no off-roading)
Number of punctures: 0 (no tire liner, no special upgrades to tires, all stock parts)
Number of issues on long rides: 0

Many of my friends ride Trek, Bergemont and Scott hybrids. Amongst all hybrids, I would say that the Giant Roam 3 is definitely NOT the best-looking bike, nor is it the lightest. In fact, the tires are thicker than most other hybrids, which doesn't make it the fastest either. But, I would say it has proven to be one RELIABLE beast! The tires are amazing, the suspension works really well, and the gear-shifting is fast and reliable. The bike handles extremely well. I shifted from riding an MTB (ex-Rockrider 5.0, Firefox) to a Hybrid, I would wholeheartedly recommend the Roam 3! So far,the bakes have proven to be great too, though I did change the brake pads during my 2nd free service (I did a couple of serious downhills, which wore out the breakpads fast). When I ride my Roam 3 on long rides, it sometimes feels like I am riding an Ambasaddor car while others have swankier looking, but delicate Maruti 800s - eventually, I ride longer and faster because of a sturdy bike!

Also, Giant is one of the largest bike brands in the world - in my business, we have a significant Europe connection. When I tell my friends, I ride a Giant, it does carry a lot of respect in Europe (surprisingly, in India, I dont see them having such a strong brand). If you want to see my bike or try it, do tell me!

Gandharv
P.S: I dont have any association with Giant - professionally or personally, though the fact that I own a Giant bike makes it a personal connection :) .

Opendro

Mar 4, 2015, 11:15:50 PM3/4/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I cannot comment much on other things. I think, you should give a lot of credit to the tire you are riding... slick 700 x 40. That is the tire I have loved so much for a one-fits-all scenarios. In my case, it came with Merida Crossway 10v and it is a heavy bike too. But I attribute my ride experience more to the tire.

Ashok Kumar S

Mar 4, 2015, 11:35:11 PM3/4/15
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
I have been commuting using my MTBs for two years now(A firefox for initial 9months, and then a Rockrider 5.2 since the time decathlon decided to clear the stock by giving huge discount). Not a single flat to date. I Ride the 5.2 with the stock tyres. (26x2.125, I guess). Could be an overkill for the roads. Considering that I get occasional flats on my roadie even with careful riding, this is not pure luck, but has to do with the tyres, I too feel. And about the other stuff, overtaking etc etc, a lot can be attributed to the rider, so you never know until you ride the other bike too. :)

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Thanks and regards, Ashok Kumar S.

Gandharv Bakshi

Mar 7, 2015, 9:47:41 PM3/7/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, ope...@gmail.com
Hey,
Slightly late reply to this. But yes, you are right - it has to be attributed to the tires. I think that has a lot to do with your riding experience. When you a buy a bike, and you get one puncture a week, it takes a lot of joy out of riding and especially reduces your confidence for longer rides. These days, I ride more in one month on my Giant than I rode in 6 months on my Firefox.

Thanks
Gandharv

Ashok Kumar S

Mar 7, 2015, 11:48:43 PM3/7/15
to Gandharv Bakshi, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club

In spite of the flats, I ride the road bike 5 times more than the commute bike. So, it all depends. ;-)

Gandharv Bakshi

Mar 7, 2015, 11:59:12 PM3/7/15
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, gandhar...@gmail.com, ope...@gmail.com
Haha,
True. I need to get myself on a road-bike soon!

Gandharv