Teaching Adults how to cycle

Ali Poonawala

Jan 25, 2023, 8:14:50 AM1/25/23
to Sharath Chandar, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
Hi friends !

Apologies for the massssive delay in reporting😩
Both session took place last Sunday.

As always, Begur report fom Ganesh first

"
22-Jan, Begur : Learner 1 Trainer 1

It was a 1:1 session, this time with Deepa who is resuming after another break. Well utilized  entire 1.5 hours , first to get over her rustiness and stay on the saddle for longer time then working on the lurch. Her fear of falling was intially making her to stop right after one spin  with both legs though well balanced. Staying on, brings back the lurch (spine going to a C with  waist t, spine and shoulder not in line over the saddle to maintain balance) .  Tried my best to simulate and show what is going on . Final few rounds focusing on it was much better. However, requires more practice without long breaks to stay course. Hope to see her back next weekend.

"
Thanks Ganesh💐🙏

The Cubbon session:

Today was certainly a busy, almost chaotic, session..

Reached with foldie with a nice welcome by Mukesh Prakash and Ashok and young Yuvraj quartret..who also helped , (with Katraj gang amiss) into dusting and bringing cycles out of KSLTA parking area !😉

Trainers : 5+1

Ali, Krishna, Parag, Naga Prakash, Junaid (Sanjeevani)

Newbies: 4
Ria, Harshitha, Manasi, Sandhya

Seniors: 13
Tushar, Aradhana, Sanjeevani, Muskaan, Shashi, Suman, Sri Suji, Sheetal(Katraj), Anjali, Keerthana, Sandeep, Sonu, Poonam

Trainees 5
(Decathlon)
Rathan,Pramode,Ruchitha, Arun, Lijo

Hellos
from CifoS :Sathya, Nidhi, Deep
from Greenpeace: Arindam ,
From Guwahati : Arshel Akhtar  Bicycling Mayor
Shaan (was he one before last weekend ?!) Krishna's pull in
Chandrashekar ji

Geting down to work....

I supervised Ria, who managed assisted pedalling but the lurch is the sticky point !

Quick up and down round with Sheetal, who was all messed up about left tilt, had a lurch and kept snaking, amazingly, could also remain moving !

Sandeep got an earful about going down too fast and having a lurch causing suden change of direction.. terribly unsafe combo !
Brake! brake!! and brake!!!

Harshita mirrored Ria in her progress but had significantly less lurching... Great asset to early balancing !

Parag's report:

"
Decathlon Trainees
We had 5 prospective trainers from Decathlon today. I took them through the basic steps we follow, and then attached them to individual students to help them out with scooting and pedaling. They were an enthusiastic bunch, and picked up well and helped the learners.

Newbie
Mansi - Started with static balancing and then scooting. Her balance is fine, but she still tends to put the foot down after a bit, needs a bit more confidence before starting to pedal.
Shashi - She had come once a few months ago, today resumed wit scooting practice.

Ongoing
Sanjeevani - Pedaled up and down, and also helped out with getting Mansi to scoot downhill while she pedaled uphill. Also practiced zig zags and turning.
Muskan- Able to pedal up and down now, she needs to build a bit more leg strength to tackle the uphill easily.
Suman- Practiced turning and started with a bit of hand signaling. Able to ride uphill also now, earlier was difficult for her.
Sri Suji- Practiced turning, signaling using her own cycle. Another week and she will be ready to pedal on the roads, she is already planning for longer rides and figuring out car racks etc.
Tushar- Pedaling confidently now, still needs some work on hand signaling, but should be road ready by next week.
"
Thanks Parag,🙏💐

Naga Prakash's report:
"
22Jan
Students: Shashi, Tushar
Trainer: Naga
*Shashi:* An elderly lady, coming for her 2nd class. She is getting better at scooting, however needs some more time.

*Tushar:* Tushar is almost ready. He is able to pedal properly. Next session for him is learning signalling. Good progress Tushar!!

"
Thanks Naga !👌

Krishna says :
"

Great day it was.  Bright it was. Comfortingly warm. Full of activities. Number of trainees, trainers and learners too. We felt the only short was the no of cycles. We wish we had more. As usual I was talking and encouraging all to get into stream of green culture. Manasi and Sandhya were fine with scooting and both progressed parallelly. Will be graduating to  pedelling by next week.

"
Thanks Krishna for report.. the solution is...seniors should get the rental bikes. We provide 7 bikes, including foldie !!  Normally suffices. As you can see from the numbers.. this was unusually busy day.

Junaid's message:

"
Manasi was the first and started off a little shakily as this was the first time ever for her, she was confident later, she will make it in the next session !!

He has promised more, probably will go in next edition!

Thanks Junaid ,👍

I took off early for another engagement, once customary end of the session photos were clicked by Nidhi.. Deep timing his guest appearance to perfection for the shoot !

Keep pedaling till next weekend!

Ali Poonawala
2023-01-25 16-43.pdf
2023-01-25 15-56.pdf
2023-01-24 20-37.pdf
2023-01-25 16-37 1.pdf
2023-01-25 16-38.pdf
2023-01-25 16-38 1.pdf
2023-01-25 10-34.pdf
2023-01-25 16-37.pdf
2023-01-25 15-57.pdf
2023-01-25 16-39.pdf
2023-01-25 16-39 1.pdf

Ali Poonawala

Jan 25, 2023, 8:25:38 AM1/25/23
to Sharath Chandar, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
Apologies for pdf files..
Here are jpeg pics !

Ali Poonawala

--

---
2023-01-25 16-37 1.jpg

Gourav Sengupta

Jan 27, 2023, 4:12:27 AM1/27/23
to Ali Poonawala, Sharath Chandar, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
Hi,

good morning.

amazing pics :)

Regards,
Gourav

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com

Ali Poonawala

Jan 31, 2023, 11:31:24 PM1/31/23
to Sharath Chandar, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
Hi friends!

We had both the sessions...

Begur session in Ganesh's words :

"
29-Jan-2023
Begur: Learner 1, Trainer 1

Another 1:1 session with Deepa for a full hour before we called it a day. Early start by 7:45 am, Deepa was much comfortable and stable with her start. Good improvement with shedding the lurch. Towards the close, there was barely any trace of the lurch and she was much confident in riding continuous straight lines. Something that shows how much consistent practice is important in seeing visible improvements. Need to continue regular practice and start working on cleaner stops in next session.
(Missed to click a snap for the day)

"

Thanks Ganesh !💐🙏🤩

Cubbon session reports :

Parag passed the key for the cycles to me on his way but at Cubbon got engaged with the early birds amongst studnts and trainees. Later went for a walk with a friend visiting from Delhi...What place can beat Cubbon as  a showpiece of namma bengaluru !

I went through now familiar dusting and sprucing process and got the bikes with Arun and Ruchita -Decathlon trainees'- help.

Trainers: 4
Parag, Ali, Krishna, Junaid

Newbies: 5
Jigya, Arjun, Gargi, Monica, Deepak

Seniors: 10(+2)
Lekisha, Sandeep, Sandhya, Muskaan, Siddaraju, Ria, Sufiya, Amna, Suman, Aparna.( Netravathi and Govind)

Trainees: 5
Ruchita, Arun, Rathan, Lijo, Pramode

Cifos: Sathya, Nidhi, Anushka (fresh as a daisy... despite  Bengaluru to Mysuru cycling trip yesterday ! Respects !!💖💐)

I started with Sandhya, this being her scond class. She continued with scooting and learnt half pedaling, not balancing fully yet. She continued with Lijo, our trainee.

Sandeep has learnt balancing but had significant lurching and hence twisting out of blue. Taught him half pedal or tripod walking and concentrate on keeping the handle bar steady. He also learnt feathering brakes to cycle at accompanying walker's pace.

Siddaraju had come a while ago and like Sandeep, lurches big time. Add poor uphill start to his correction tasks.

Monica was not stopping safe, hopefully will get out of habit of putting right foot on the ground too.

Deepak got in late, but managed to steady his nerve wrecking handle bar shake and did some respectable scooting.

Parag's report:

"

I arrived early for a morning walk with some friends, and Ruchita from Decathlon had already arrived at 7.25 !. She said I wanted to be on time and left her home in Electronic city really early, wonderful to see the commitment form her. I quizzed here about last session, and she remembered all the steps from the previous session. Nidhi and Ria arrived shortly thereafter, and at 7.45 we were stuck with a trainer, Trainee, Learner, and Observer, but no bicycles ;-(.

Newbies
Jigya- Youngest of the trio of sisters (Sanjeevani and Muskan are the elder ones), she has cycled before, but was not confident of balance and we worked on that. She was able to hold a straight lne doing down, but was struggling a bit uphill. After correcting that, we moved her to turning and she bravely rode on the Bandstand circle and to Bal Bhavan and back, wit a cycle that had very bad brakes*, one spectacular stop even required her to drag her shoes on the road for a bit to come to a skidding halt.

*(Apologies... cycles have gone for servicing so will not have this again !)

Seniors
Leisha and Lekisha- It was good to see the twins back, and Lekisha has managed to pedal independently today.
Amna- She is able to pedal well, but still has a bit if a lurch, so today she tried to stay on the white line and correct that.
Muskaan- Is able to pedal correctly, but struggles uphill, needs to build more leg strength for this.

Decathlon Trainees
At the end we did a recap of the training steps with all the Decathlon Instructor trainees, and they have picked up the steps well, and were able to remember the details , including why each step is important. The energy levels of all the trainers was high, and also their ability to help the learners. Nidhi has circulated the Instructors quick reference to all of them.

"
Thanks Parag !💐👍

Junaid says :

"

Started the day with Gargi, who had had no experience and was a bundle of excitement and had to keep the excitement in check, and she cracked the balance with such ease taking everyone by surprise !
she would need to practice control in the coming weeks.

Next was Sufiya who continued from last week and she would need to practice some more to get it right,
ended the day with the customary picture and a brief session with the decathlon team, who I might add were quick to catch on to the nuances of teaching cycling !

"

Thanks Junaid

Krishna's report :

"
I am Krishna in my report.

Excellent weather ideal for fitness addicts. Our sessions were when I entered the stage. I took on to teach Monica and Aparna.
Monica initially expressed that she did not know if she anything about cycling with a faint memory of childhood attempt. I encountered her to start scooting after I demonstrated. Monica, started and  was up to good start with a little lurching, had a little difficulty in breaking and staying steady. With one or two failed attempts without falling, gained courage moved on. She got on to pedaling in the second round. Childhood balancing knack came back did not lurch further. Very promisingly did circles and figure of 8. By generously giving certificate of good performance, she did better in every round. Assured to come next week. May graduate to road worthy

Aparna started scooting, she is stuck with tendancy to support on right side while stopping. Ruchita from decathlon team took over from to support her and continue. End of the session, I could see her on the pedals but strong enough on gradient. However,not lurching much.
I guided the other with doses of enthusiasm.

"
Thanks Krishna..💐

Shipped all the cycles in Thanikachalam's auto for maintenance and service ( courtesy Nilesh bhai Shah, President of Karnataka Bicycling Dealers' Association, who managed it despite being in Malaysia, Truely obliged.🙏💐)
Parag held a brief with Junaid for Decathlon trainees and interested students before we parted.

Till next weekend

Keep pedaling

Ali Poonawala

2023-02-01 08-07.jpg
2023-02-01 08-04 1.jpg
2023-02-01 09-05.jpg
2023-02-01 08-05.jpg
2023-02-01 08-07 1.jpg
2023-02-01 08-06 1.jpg
2023-02-01 08-08.jpg
2023-02-01 08-04.jpg
2023-02-01 08-06.jpg
2023-02-01 08-03 1.jpg
2023-02-01 07-16.jpg
2023-02-01 08-03.jpg

Ali Poonawala

Feb 7, 2023, 8:16:56 AM2/7/23
to Sharath Chandar, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
Hi friends !

Both sessions took place past Sunday ..

Begur session

It was conducted, on Ganesh's behalf, by energetic and ever obliging Naga Prakash..

His report:

"
*05Feb: Reporting from Begur!!*
Students: Sainath, Swagata
Trainer: Naga
I reached the venue 10mins late, apologies. Sainath was already waiting there for 15mins. I was supposed to go to Ganesh's place and collect the training bicycle. But as it was late and Sainath only turned up, i continued teaching on my bicycle.

*Sainath:* This is Sainath's 3rd session. He was able to pedal fine, so i have asked him to continue practicing. He need to work on braking and turning skills. Keep practicing Sainath.

At 9am, Swagata reached the venue, so I had to get the usual training cycle from Ganesh's apartment. So, i went and got the bicycle keeptmy bicycle at his apartment.

Flat and uphill Sainath was using the cycle. At downhill I made Swagata practice scooting.

*Swagata:* Like many, she did learn cycling in her childhood but left after a bad fall. After few rounds, she picked up on scooting downhill, on a flat road she still needs to learn to put lot of efforts. She became comfortable on balancing and at the end she was able pedal as well. That's a great progress Swagata. Keep coming and practice more.
"
Thanks Naga 💖🙏

Cubbon Park session:

Cool and calm day.. with spruced up cycles would mean a good session, however, the cancellation of Prof. Chetan Solanki's solar bus demonstration rankled. How can we be so callous..beats sense out of me.

Shraddha ,with ever willing dad and policemama's brother , helped out with the bicycles, post dusting, Sai, her brother, helped with the banners. By the time I reached with the scooting bikes, the show was on !

Trainers : 3
Parag, Junaid, Ali

Newbies: 5
Bru, Prasanna, Reethi, Saanvika Swathi

Seniors: 7+?
Akshara, Siddaraju, Sandeep, Sandhya, Leishha, Lekisha, Ria, Katraj gang ladies

Trainees :
Rathane, Pramod, Ruchita, Arun and Lijo

Hello :
Go Green team led by Prabhakar Rao.
CifoS : Nidhi

 Akshara was pushed on to me by her dad, saying she has been a leggard. probably her disinterest  is stronger than  parental pressure !
Coaxing and cajoling I managed to get her balancing with little help, only to notice after some time she was perched on a scooting bike with a trainee trying to guide ! 😃
I willfully refrained from interjection, since I seem to be over doing the corrective bit 😩

Ria was my next victim, and had to bear the barrage about leaning on the left and half pedalling. She braved and came out shining !

Little Saanvika turned up  with her bike with parents and a bundled up sibling. helmet was left out but knee pads were put by mom.. Getting rid of the balancing wheels was scary prospect for the kid but Ruchita struck a chord in Telugu with the princess and I quietly withdrew !

Parag's report :

"
Newbies
Reethi - start of the day, she picked up scooting in  a few rounds,and then moved onto pedaling and turning too ! Next week will be hand signaling and she and her husband are already planning to buy a bike for her and start going on long rides.
Bru - The former airline pilot managed to pick up scooting quickly, and also did a bit of pedaling today, though with a bit of a lurch.

Seniors
Sandhya- Finally cracked pedaling today, and was able to pedal both up and down, and she was looking relieved ! There is still a noticeable lurch, she will work on correcting that.

Ria- Continued with pedaling and was able to fluently pedal by the end of the session, and the lurch is now almost gone.

Sandeep and Siddaraju- Both of them are now able to pedal, but the lurch is still present, they worked on getting rid of the lurch using the scooting bikes.
"
Thanks Parag 👍💐

Junaid's report:

"
Bru, Reethi, Prasanna and Swathi were the first timers,
Bru, Reethi and Swathi were the stars as with their first tries cracked balancing and did remarkably well!

Bru was exceptional in spite of her fears and inhibitions got her balancing and was doing great,
Reethi's enthusiasm was infectious, she would never want to stop once she had her balancing and was doing good by the end of the session.
Last to walk in was Swathi, she took off with lot of energy and was able to balance well,
Prasanna would need to work a little harder, hopefully next week she would be able to get it!

"
Thanks Junaid 💖👍

Got some clicks of Shraddha-Sai enjoying the pebble hill and some Student-trainer teams before leaving early, while session was still on.

Till next weekend,

Keep pedalling !

Ali Poonawala
2023-02-07 17-58.jpg