For a Sane Smart City

1 view

Gopal Krishna

Apr 1, 2019, 8:03:57 AM4/1/19

Geography is destiny. It is especially so if it happens to be New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) area, the Lutyens’ Delhi. It is the epicenter that guides the spread of seismic waves of policy decisions. The path which this area takes to become a ‘Smart City’ will have lessons for all the cities of country including those whose political geography has not favored them so far.

While talking about smart city, Deputy Chief Minister, Government of Delhi said in the state assembly, “Setting   up   of   waste   to   energy   plants   is   being   promoted   by the Government for better disposal of municipal waste.” Such proposals demonstrate that like its predecessors and quite like the central government, Delhi Government too has adopted an improper method for dealing with municipal waste. Such plants are being set in NDMC areas as well.

NDMC must be made to manage its own waste. It cannot be deemed smartness if it is allowed to transfer its waste to poorer localities.

https://www.raagdelhi.com/smart-cities/

  --
Gopal Krishna

....years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.
-------Eugene Debs, five times Presidential candidate of USA & author of Walls and Bars

"We may admire what he does, but we despise what he is."-referring to humans who act mechanically on instructions
-------Wilhelm von Humboldt, 1792