MobiPICO: a straightforward unofficial port of the official PICO-8 emulator

Luxferre

Dec 11, 2021, 4:44:59 AM12/11/21
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Hi folks,

So I thought that the PICO-8 Fantasy Console (as they call it) platform, with its specifications like 128x128 screen and 4 audio channels, just begs to be ported onto feature phones, considering it already has like thousands of indie games to offer (there even are Touhou and R-Type ports to it!). So I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, we have to reuse the same proprietary and obfuscated engine as the official web runner uses, so no guarantees about stability and/or performance can be made. I have tested it on my Crosscall only so far, and can say that sound can lag a bit in some games but overall performance is OK.

However, the wrapper has been implemented as generic as possible (for easier integration of other emulator engines in the future), configurable (via a separate config.js file) and non-privileged (it runs at the lowest privilege level, web, and uses system picker activity to read the files - Explorer app is recommended as the file picker provider). It also supports both plain .p8 and current steganographic .p8.png cart file formats. The only limitation is that it doesn't (and probably never will) support multicart loading.

Have fun!