A better launcher for Kai OS

Aaron Rolls

Sep 3, 2019, 1:11:38 AM9/3/19
to banana...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

As it turns out is quite easy to make modifications to the Kai OS launcher. Check out this video that I made. https://youtu.be/ot7WAD0DHFo

What I did was map the directional buttons to applications Like you can on Symbian 40.

What will I do with this?

  1.  I plan to add a small script to the startup of the the Launcher to load a JSON file on the sd card. That way you can easily customize the apps to your liking
  2.  I plan to make an app to edit this JSON file, making it easy to change the apps right on your phone.
  3.  We will see from there. The possibilities are endless.

When can you get it?

Expect the first stage to be done in about 1 to 2 weeks. Maybe sooner.

But I want it now!

It is easy to do yourself if you know what your doing and understand Javascript:

1. Plug your phone in and make sure adb is on.
2. Run adb pull /system/b2g/webapps/
3. Make a backup that folder encase anything goes wrong
4. Extract the application.zip in /webapps/launcher.gaiamobile.org/
5. Open the /application/dist/app.bundle.js file
6. Search for "notifications". Around this area there will be a function called "onKeyDown", this is the one you want
7. Add a CASE for "ArrowUp" "ArrowDown" "ArrowLeft" "ArrowRight". Don't forget to add break;s
8 Add this line of code after each CASE you just added:
return void E.default.launch("manifestURL", "app://communications.gaiamobile.org/manifest.webapp");

9.Change the link to the app you want to launch
10. Save and repackage the app
11. Upload to your phone with this command:
adb push application.zip /system/b2g/webapps/launcher.gaiamobile.org/
12. Run
adb reboot

Don't try this if you are not sure about what you are doing. Wait until I come out with modified launcher and follow the instructions I give you.

WARNING!!! Mapping a key to ArrowUp like I have shown you will disable the long press to activate the torch.
Extra code is needed to keep both working.

perry

Sep 3, 2019, 7:27:30 AM9/3/19
to banana...@googlegroups.com
I have already written such an app: https://github.com/strukturart/custom-launcher
If you want fork my app and make it better.

edit
Sorry, I did not read it carefully my app does not replace the cursor shortcuts. I only start my custom launcher with cursor up.

Jpt Trick

Sep 3, 2019, 9:25:19 AM9/3/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
I have already
But
i don't know your app better for custom launcher((perry).
Share screenshot your app

Aaron Rolls

Sep 3, 2019, 3:17:30 PM9/3/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
As I understand, Perry's app is a separate app that launches other apps. His app is pretty well done if I must say so. However what I am doing here is not even a new app. I am editing the current Kai OS launcher. Watch the video for an example. Editing the Kai OS launcher is the first step in having completely new and original launchers for Kai OS, just like Android.

perry

Sep 3, 2019, 3:27:29 PM9/3/19
to banana...@googlegroups.com
Yes it is an app to start your fovorite apps. So it is possible to start an app very fast, for example: Cursor Up and then keynumber 2 so the app is started on position 2 of the list.

PuriShnit

Sep 3, 2019, 4:33:33 PM9/3/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110

So basically, you first edited the KaiOS launcher in app.bundle.js, to add the function of launching your custom launcher by pressing the ArrowUp button from the screen. From there, you can quickly launch other apps with your custom launcher...

Editing the app.bundle.js is actually what Aaron suggests, this was already discussed & accomplished in the 'Customize shortcuts' thread. However, Aaron's plans seem to eventually include advanced editing, to allow on-phone changes to the shortcuts, with a separate app manipulating his added .json to the stock launcher.

On 3 September 2019 8:27:30 pm perry <struk...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes it is an app to start your fovorite app. So it is possible to start an app very fast, for example: Cursor Up and then keynumber 2 so the app is started on position 2 of the list.

Martin Švec

Sep 8, 2019, 4:39:33 AM9/8/19
to banana...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, works nice, I just mapped the ArrowDown to perry's launcher. If I find a way how to tweak perry's launcher to cycle the menu selector from the top once the bottom is reached, I think it will be the laziest way so far to launch apps, by pressing a number of keydowns and then enter :-)

Btw. how do you guys edit the minificated js code?
vim loses its syntax-highligting guts halfway through such mess.

Fan of G.K

Sep 8, 2019, 4:49:39 AM9/8/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Minificated mess solution https://unminify.com/

perry

Sep 8, 2019, 5:01:35 AM9/8/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
cycle the menu selector

you mean if you reached the last element of the list did you press again keyDown that it jumps to the first element and vice versa?

Am Sonntag, 8. September 2019 10:49:39 UTC+2 schrieb Fan of G.K:
Minificated mess solution https://unminify.com/

martincheco

Sep 8, 2019, 5:05:44 AM9/8/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
precisely that

happy indian

Sep 8, 2019, 5:19:01 AM9/8/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
I extract the application.zip from /system/launcher.gaiamobile.org/ in windows 10 using winrar. when i edit appbundle.js in Brackets or other online javascript edior and repack and push app to my jiophone launcher show missing file and did not work .
i think either winrar is faulty or editor misedit the code so package in system is shown missing. please help

perry

Sep 8, 2019, 3:32:15 PM9/8/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
@marincheco pls reinstall the app I have added infinite scrolling.

Aaron Rolls

Sep 8, 2019, 9:49:10 PM9/8/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
This thread can be closed. I have opened a new thread for the first alpha release of my new Kai OS launcher, HELPFUL Launcher.