Help on Nokia 8110 4g V.10.00.17.02

Annacruz

Jun 26, 2023, 8:39:40 AM6/26/23
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Hello,
First, please excuse me for my bad english.
I just bought a second hand but new-like Nokia 8110 4g.
I was hoping it could be a good solution to avoid a smart-phone and still be able to use apps such as WhatsApp (mainly).
What a bad surprise when I realized :
- it has no Wifi function,
- it has no "update the firmware" option,
- it ssems to be stuck on V.10.00.17.02,
- it absolutely doesn't have WhatsApp or Facebook or any other social media Apps preinstalled on it,
- it doesn't even show "4G" next to my telephone operator's name...
Could anyone help me understand how this can be possible and if there's a way to use this phone as it has been meant to be used ?! :/
I am not an expert at all in jailbreaking so if there's a video or a step by step guide I would be very very thankfull to you all!!
Best,
Anna

Mick

Jun 26, 2023, 10:15:50 AM6/26/23
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 05:39:40AM -0700, Annacruz wrote:
> Hello,

> Could anyone help me understand how this can be possible and if there's a
> way to use this phone as it has been meant to be used ?! :/
> I am not an expert at all in jailbreaking so if there's a video or a step
> by step guide I would be very very thankfull to you all!!

I think the first good step is geting the manual [1]. You can probably find
it in your own language, if you search.
Then there is a number of usefull tutorial on bananahackers website [2],
but the issue you are reporting are at a different level than that. If I
were you, I would start from the maunal.

Just as information: my 8110 4G runs with firmware 17.00.17.01.
--
Mick

[1] https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/support/nokia-8110-4g-user-guide
[2] https://ivan-hc.github.io/bananahackers/

Annacruz

Jun 27, 2023, 4:23:44 AM6/27/23
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Thank you Mick,
Unfortunately the manual gives indications that doesn't fit with my device, as I don't even have the "Wifi" nore the "Update firmware" options showing.
Getting a loog on [2], it seems I will have to put the device in the "Recovery" mode, then install the updates from a SD card...
Can anyone tell me if I get it right?
Thanks again,
Anna

Annacruz

Jun 27, 2023, 4:24:42 AM6/27/23
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
a look, not a loog :D

Dmitrij Berezin

Jun 27, 2023, 5:18:10 AM6/27/23
to banana...@googlegroups.com
Hi! 😊
My name is Dimitrij, I had a Nokia 8110 4G some time ago, and I totally bricked it by putting it into recovery mode.
I did everything correctly but it must have been some bug in the OS.
Basically, I pressed "VolumeUp" and "PowerButton" at the same time, nothing special, but for some reason the phone entered a never-ending bootloop 😅

There might have been a solution to that by flashing a broken partition manually  but I'm not that experienced and also never found the time to figure it out.

So, please backup all your files/contacts/sms before you try that 😅

Good luck,
Dimitrij

Mick Bert

Jun 27, 2023, 5:37:49 AM6/27/23
to banana...@googlegroups.com

Il giorno mar 27 giu 2023 alle ore 11:18 Dmitrij Berezin <berezi...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
Hi! 😊
My name is Dimitrij, I had a Nokia 8110 4G some time ago, and I totally bricked it by putting it into recovery mode.
I did everything correctly but it must have been some bug in the OS.
Basically, I pressed "VolumeUp" and "PowerButton" at the same time, nothing special, but for some reason the phone entered a never-ending bootloop 😅

That's quite wierd, because I do not have VolumeUp button on my Nokia8110 4G. Actually I do not have any button at all, other than the PowerButton!
Are we talking about the same device? This one [1]?

--
Mick

Mick Bert

Jun 27, 2023, 5:59:58 AM6/27/23
to banana...@googlegroups.com
Il giorno mar 27 giu 2023 alle ore 10:23 Annacruz <anna...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
Thank you Mick,Getting a loog on [2], it seems I will have to put the device in the "Recovery" mode, then install the updates from a SD card...
Can anyone tell me if I get it right?
I have never done anything like that on this device, but first of all, it's important to identify the exact model. It is printed behind the battery, togather with IMEI and should be something like "TA-10xx". Than you have to read the tutorials follow them carefully. Probably here [1] you find what you need, but I cannot grant anything, because I havn't any direct experience.

--
Mick

Dmitrij Berezin

Jul 2, 2023, 8:08:48 AM7/2/23
to banana...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
It's definitely the same device, I'm sorry for the confusion. By "VolumeUp" button I meant simply the "Up" button which is responsible for volume in most KaiOS apps.
Anyway, in my link was this video which was my guidance.

From reading on the internet, sometimes the same problem would happen to other KaiOS devices and extremely occasionally even to Android devices...

Cheers,
Dimitrij

aqua

Jun 13, 2024, 4:40:07 AMJun 13
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Hi, you have a counterfeit clone of the 8110.
If it has no 4G, no WiFi, no KaiStore, no apps and no firmware update, it is not real.