Alcatel Flip 2 (4044O) not respecting hosts file?

Chris Rea

Jul 20, 2019, 9:47:37 PM7/20/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
I've gotten my 4044O rooted using the LuxFerre's good work, and am trying to adjust my hosts file.  I've been able to push it back to the device, but i have not been able to get it to respect the changes.  the things i've checked:
  • ensured there is a trailing space at the end of the file
  • Tried both singel space and tab between 127.0.0.1 and URL
  • tried chopping the file down to a single entry
  • tried isolating to wifi (no cell data) as well as cell data (no wifi)
  • i've rebooted after each file update
anyone else had luck customizing their hosts file?

Ivan Alex HC

Jul 21, 2019, 1:08:41 AM7/21/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110

Chris Rea

Jul 21, 2019, 1:01:35 PM7/21/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
are you sure those are actually blocking for you on your 4044O?  i pushed the same file to my phone and it's not blocking at least the sites i tested...?

ProgrammAbel

Jul 21, 2019, 2:28:38 PM7/21/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
He doesn't have a 4044O. That hosts file is an ad blocking hosts file from Gerda and probably not what you want. As for your problem, have you tried wiping cache from recovery? Sometimes that's a snag when tinkering with the device. Also post your current hosts file.

Ivan Alex HC

Jul 21, 2019, 2:43:50 PM7/21/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
that's not for Gerda only. it's a generic adblock for Linux devices. so...that's right, please share your hosts file too.

Chris Rea

Jul 21, 2019, 2:57:05 PM7/21/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
will do in a bit when I get home.

ProgrammAbel

Jul 21, 2019, 3:07:07 PM7/21/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
I know, I didn't say "for", I said "from" ;)

Ivan Alex HC

Jul 21, 2019, 3:25:36 PM7/21/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
in fact it is wrong: GerdaOS takes "from" StevenBlack repository on github the contents of the "hosts" file with "kaiads" in addition (just add 0.0.0.0 ssp.kaiads.com). If you see the current version file in GerdaOS it's old of January. Who wants to block content can easily update the file manually using that page from the repository. https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts

Ivan Alex HC

Jul 21, 2019, 4:07:21 PM7/21/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
I have a system.img for Alcatel Cingular Flip 2 40440. I have attached to this post its hosts file and a custom hosts file using the guide I mentioned above.
And here the link to the variants of this file into the repository https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts#list-of-all-hosts-file-variants
hosts
hosts

Chris Rea

Jul 21, 2019, 4:51:45 PM7/21/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
well, good news - i pulled down the default hosts you posted (the 56 B version), added in my particular site, and it works...  it's not clear why my version of the file had problems, but i'm happy now - thanks all!

for completeness, i did not need to clear system cache - my steps (for others) are:

  • update one of the hosts files above
  • turn on root from the phone
  • adb remount
  • adb push <location>\hosts /system/etc/hosts
  • adb reboot
and it worked!

Il giorno domenica 21 luglio 2019 03:47:37 UTC+2, Chris Rea ha scritto:
I've gotten my 4044O rooted using the LuxFerre's good work, and am trying to adjust my hosts file.  I've been able to push it back to the device, but i have not been able to get it to respect the changes.

ProgrammAbel

Jul 22, 2019, 2:38:25 AM7/22/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Maybe it had something to do with permissions? Ah well, at least it works :P