[WIP] Philz Touch Recovery for Argon (Nokia 8110 4G)

Huy Minh Bui

Jul 3, 2019, 2:10:56 PM7/3/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
In case you don't know what is Philz Touch Recovery : https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2201860

Having lots of free time today so I decide to create Philz Touch Recovery, an good old recovery that support both touch and hardware buttons :)
The reason want to make this recovery is that there are people on XDA said that Philz can still install Android 6.0 roms, so I think with we can use it to flash roms for this banana :)
And also because of this : https://github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/issues/1485 (kinda sad that they don't support hardware-buttons anymore :(  )

After compile and test I see lots of potential, more than TWRP :D

* What's work :
- It's boot :P
- Controlable using up and down key like stock recovery (and it may receive every buttons because when I see a "Press any key to continue" message, I press the middle button and it's close)
- Clock works (may need to change timezone in Recovry Settings)
- Change the wallpaper (Now I need a Matrix wallpaper lmao)

* What's not :
- No partitions is mounted even recovery (I noticed that the recovery.fstab files using /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/ path but only sdcard using /dev/block/ path and it's the only partition that is mounted so I'll change and test it tomorrow)
- Cannot change brightness (there is a file called brightness somewhere in the /sys/main, please help me find it, Thanks in advance)
- The font is way too big (you can change it in recovery setting but that still big, I see that the config file is in data/philz-touch/philz-touch-6.ini, Maybe we can pull to edit and push it back using adb )
- Battery is showing the right value in a minute and then go to 0% (anyone know this error please help me)

Here is the device tree in case you guys want to contribute or compile: https://github.com/hmtheboy154/android_device_nokia_Argon
Download link will added soon as long as the partition problem is fixed

More screenshot will be added too

Huy Minh Bui

Jul 4, 2019, 5:04:13 AM7/4/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Good news, there are 2 things I fixed this morning is the partition mounting and brightness (Changing brightness is soooo good)

I tested wiping and flashing v12repair zip and it's work so the recovery is usable now

However, aside from big font and battery issue I also see that when flashing zip there will be a Android logo blocking the text until the zip is flashed (dk if this is a bug, but can we replace it with KaiOS OTA screen ?)

Feel free to flash and experience :)

ProgrammAbel

Jul 4, 2019, 5:13:46 AM7/4/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Yay! Have you tested Android on the 8110 yet?
Message has been deleted

Peter Knight

Jul 4, 2019, 7:04:19 AM7/4/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Huy Minh Bui

You are a star mate tested this with backup restore and now I can backup my complete system including data looking forward to next version with smaller fonts thanks again

Huy Minh Bui

Jul 4, 2019, 8:46:34 AM7/4/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Nah I don't think I will port Android, Kai is enough

Maybe one day Google offically support Android for feature phone (again) and custom roms devs like LineageOS port it I will look into it. But for now KaiOS is enough

Vào 16:13:46 UTC+7 Thứ Năm, ngày 04 tháng 7 năm 2019, ProgrammAbel đã viết:

Huy Minh Bui

Jul 4, 2019, 8:48:32 AM7/4/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Glad you like it :D

btw you can change the font smaller for a bit by go to Recovery Setting => GUI Preferences, and look at "Men XX" I guess that is the Menu font size. Change that for a better experience

Vào 18:04:19 UTC+7 Thứ Năm, ngày 04 tháng 7 năm 2019, Peter Knight đã viết:

ProgrammAbel

Jul 4, 2019, 9:01:43 AM7/4/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Okay, that's cool :D

Huy Minh Bui

Jul 4, 2019, 10:56:21 AM7/4/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
I think that clock is having problem. Maybe it can't sync the time properly

btw I found out that Philz can take screenshot.
Moreover, you can change theme in Philz

ProgrammAbel

Jul 4, 2019, 1:47:33 PM7/4/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Philz is my new default recovery :D

Bittu Swarup

Jul 5, 2019, 8:14:07 AM7/5/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Can you post any pic or vid that how is the new recovery looks like. Plz

ProgrammAbel

Jul 5, 2019, 9:16:46 AM7/5/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
try it yourself! you can just flash it over, and if you don't like it you can just reboot and it will restore to normal :D

Peter Knight

Jul 5, 2019, 9:28:27 AM7/5/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
I have used this recovery and its great
Anyone managed to change font size yet

Peter Knight

Jul 5, 2019, 10:00:56 AM7/5/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Just a quick note guys I have gerdaos installed and I have all apps and the phone exactly as I want it so I took one for the team and did a backup and wipe and restore with philz recovery and it works fine

The only trouble is the menu system with large fonts is hard to nogociate

Huy Minh Bui

Jul 6, 2019, 9:05:28 AM7/6/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110

IMG_2134.JPG

New version is coming :D

Peter Knight

Jul 6, 2019, 9:51:55 AM7/6/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Wow looks amazing can't wait thank you

ProgrammAbel

Jul 6, 2019, 9:57:24 AM7/6/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
if its on github, ill just compile it myself :P

Huy Minh Bui

Jul 6, 2019, 10:03:44 AM7/6/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
I'm not modify the source yet

Vào 20:57:24 UTC+7 Thứ Bảy, ngày 06 tháng 7 năm 2019, ProgrammAbel đã viết:

Huy Minh Bui

Jul 6, 2019, 10:19:00 AM7/6/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Small update : Fixed the big font by using roboto10x18 font, everything í quite readable now but for better experience you should go to Recovery Settings => GUI Preferences => Change the Menu height to lowest (22) and disable Touch UI. Bonus, you can see there is a zip called Aromafm. That is the zip for Aroma File Manager in Advanced function. Create a folder called "aromafm" under clockworkmod and copy the file in

So now the only thing need to fix is clock, battery and that big Android, should I fix it ?

apatrahil

Jul 12, 2019, 6:15:10 PM7/12/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Very good. Last time I use Philz on Lenovo A319 with Android 4.4. I think the bigger problem is not big font in Philz, but the small font in Aroma. Anyway, is still very good.

apatrahil

Jul 15, 2019, 3:10:12 PM7/15/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Prevent overwrite of stock recovery - install Philz, load Philz (reboot recovery), start adb shell and rename /system/bin/install-recovery.sh (mv /system/bin/install-recovery.sh /system/bin/install-recovery.sh.backup). Tested with Philz on v16/1048.

Huy Minh Bui

Jul 28, 2019, 12:36:07 AM7/28/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Hmmmmmmmm
I thought Philz have a feature that prevent replacing stock recovery ???

Ajaykumar

Feb 24, 2020, 8:12:26 AM2/24/20
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110

Can you modify the recovery of my model's jio phone in phiz recovery?

My phone recovery
Link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1841OW-8T1c8-XeJVCkNQ83vf_JC8C_8W/view?usp=drivesdk

Ajaykumar

Feb 28, 2020, 9:37:04 AM2/28/20