Noob questions (Nokia 8110 + Windows): custom tones, recovery & more

Quizzie Fogg

Oct 21, 2019, 8:33:08 AM10/21/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Hi! I'm not a complete IT noob, but I am very new in this sort of thing, so I would be very grateful if somebody pointed me in the right direction before I properly start hacking my phone.

1.) The first thing I want to do is to select my own message sound and a new alarm sound. From searching on this forum I understand that it will change the partitions and so stop the OTA updates. Right?

2.) Is this reversable? Can I do a system backup and later get the OTA updates back by recovering to the factory state?

3.) What is the best interface for Nokia 8110 + Windows? The web interface? Firefox?

4.) A big feature I am missing is the option to create custom profiles with different sound settings, like in earlier Nokia phones (silent, loud, meeting, ...). Is this a realistic goal or way to complicated, if not impossible?

Thanks!

I Understand I Exist

Oct 22, 2019, 3:18:44 PM10/22/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
hey dude,
welcome to the group,
before you start any customization, dump all your partitions and keep them safe so u can recover ur system later, as for the rings, i dont think it will break the updates as long as you use one of them temporary root methods and adb, u can pull apps, modify, then push them back, for the interface, if u r using linux, there is an official app made by kaios or u can use palemoon, i have no idea about the custom profile on newer phones but surely they were very useful.
by the way, you really should check out this https://sites.google.com/view/bananahackers, it contains all the info u asked for.
Cheers.