Distraction Free Phone using KaiOS

John O Sullivan

Dec 31, 2019, 3:14:18 PM12/31/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Hello,just joined. I have recently come across KaiOS and am hoping it will work for what I am looking for.
I want a phone with some modern features but with no distractions on it.

My plan is to buy a Nokia 800 Tough and to remove all the distracting preinstalled apps.
Removing is step one, but is it possible to block myself from installing them later?
My plan is to remove the store app and any browsers in hopes this will be enough to prevent myself from installing apps on a whim.
To add any apps in future I guess would require a factory reset.

As you have experience of KaiOS and I don't, I just want to ask does this make sense to you?
Is it possible to block easy installation of apps?

FYI my phone features required and desired are:

Required:
- 4G
- Hotspot
- Remove distracting apps:
- Games, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc

Desired:
- BlueTooth
- GPS
- Block installation of distracting apps
- Music Player

Bonus (Would be nice):
- Google Assistant
- Audible
- Good Camera
- Reliable Battery

Happy New Year, friends!
Here's to a great decade!KaiO

jkelol111

Jan 1, 2020, 1:23:53 AM1/1/20
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
If what you are after is blocking almost every smart features of KaiOS, then KaiOS is not for you - any feature phone will do better. However, in my personal experience with KaiOS, a digital detox is easy since common social websites with the addictive scrolling pattern is a pain to use on the keypad anyways.

John O Sullivan

Jan 1, 2020, 6:20:42 AM1/1/20
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Just for clarity, I'm a little confused by what you said there. Nokia 800 is a feature phone, right?
Yes I do want to block a lot of features, keypad is definitely a good start, but if there is a distraction I will find it.
I also require some modern features mentioned above which aren't available on older phones.
Is there a better alternative than KaiOS for this?

Aaron Rolls

Jan 1, 2020, 1:00:29 PM1/1/20
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
KaiOS devices don’t have good cameras. But other than that, it sounds like what you are looking for.

Keeps in mind however, that you can always use the browser to access social media websites. There is always a way, but using KaiOS will make accessing these sights slower and harder.

ludek havlicek

Jan 14, 2020, 7:55:38 AM1/14/20
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Hi,

I've bought this Nokia from the very same reason and as written below, there is no need to uninstall these apps,
since they are really unusable and any attempt to use them will only unlearn you to use them :)
I'd like to have the option to uninstall them however...

I am using this phone from December as a daily driver, what I miss the most is following below,
basically everything listed would cost the manufacturer almost nothing...

SW part
*It is pain to enable 4G Hot-spot, a simple switch button in quick menu would be great
*Contacts App is really slow, very annoying to wait to get ready and then wait for first searched results +-10secs
*Overall speed of the phone is slow despite the HW config

HW part
*ugly camera
*obsolete USB connector

Cheers

Nokia 800

Jan 15, 2020, 3:36:36 AM1/15/20
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Hi Ludek,

I have the phone for a few days now and see what you mean, the apps are very rudimentary.
YouTube is still a draw for me so I managed to allow uninstall using BananaHackers resources.

It seems like all KaiOS phones have a basic camera, it is a pity about this but not a deal breaker.
All around it is a good option for a distraction free phone.