Bible app for Kai OS: An app which lets you read the bible

Aaron Rolls

Aug 25, 2019, 6:39:07 PM8/25/19
to banana...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for trying my bible app. Currently is is in Alpha and only has the most basic features required to read the bible.

What it does:
  • Reads the KJV Bible
  • Lets you choose the Book, Chapter and Verse you want to view
Planned Features:
  • Search Functionality
  • Improved Bible, Chapter and Verse picker
  • Bookmarks and notes
  • Sharing bible verses to other apps
  • Settings [Themes, keybindings, and bible version]
  • Highlighting
  • Bind number keys to shortcuts
  • Multi-Version Bible Support
How to use(IMPORTANT):

I hope that most of the functionality is self explanatory, however there is one area that requires some explaining.
When you are picking the book you want, the input field only takes numbers and each book has a minimum and maximum of 4 numbers (except Philemon which takes 5). Each number corresponds to the letters on your number pad.

For instance, if you want to go to John, you would input 5646 (5 = jkl, 6 = mno, 4 = ghi, 6 = mno). If you wanted to go to Revelations, you would input 7383 (7 = pqrs, 3 = def, 8 = tuv, 3 = def). If you want to go to 1 Kings or any other book beginning with a number, input the book number and then the next three letters of the book. 1 Kings would be 1546 (1 = 1, 5 = jkl, 4 = ghi 6 = mno) and 2 Kings would be 2546 (2 = 2, 5 = jkl, 4 = ghi 6 = mno).

Issues:

Currently I have one issue that I don't know how to fix and maybe you could help me. How do I take control of the back button, or use it properly? Currently it tries to close the app from every location.

If you find any bugs or issues with my app, please let my know in this thread.

Sylvain D

Aug 26, 2019, 3:57:53 AM8/26/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Hello Aaron,

Thank you for this great app!

Small isue report :
The softkeys 'Search' and 'Menu' do not work on my nokia 8110 V16. The Go To fonction from 'Enter' key works.
However 'Cancel' on SoftLeft and 'Go' on SoftRight (alternative softkeys on goto popup) are functional.

Psalms are only from 1 to 99, shouldn't there be a little more?

Not an issue but just to clarify this particularity:
If you want to go to Kings 1, you need to input 1546 (1KIN) and for Kings 2 2546 (2KIN). Same for Samuel 1 (1SAM), Peter and Chronicles. I had to read the first lines of the .js code to find out this logic!

Question : what would you like to trigger with the 'Back' button? On V16 the back button 'minimizes' the app so you can find you last position when coming back to it (if memory management didn't kill it)

Waiting for your next update!

Sylvain D

Aaron Rolls

Aug 26, 2019, 5:02:10 AM8/26/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Thank you Sylyvain,

That is some very useful bug reporting. I believe I fixed everything you mentioned. The menu and search buttons haven't been implemented yet, but I added an alert to let users know that and you should be able to view all of Psalms now. The new version can be download from the same link.

The back button is rather annoying, it is not very intuitive to have it have it suspend the app you are in. In the File Manager it works as a normal back button should.
The biggest issue I have with the back button is that it is not working as a backspace in the inputs with the type="number", or at least the ones I created.

perry

Aug 26, 2019, 7:25:50 AM8/26/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Hello Aaron,

Thank you for the app, did you publish it on github, bitbucket ....?