Mozilla & KaiOS partnership

ProgrammAbel

Mar 11, 2020, 5:18:01 PM3/11/20
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Saw this on my YouTube notification feed - put a smile on my face :D

Long story short, KaiOS and Mozilla have partnered up. And it means that KaiOS will finally be updated to the latest Gecko rendering engine - the one on the latest ESR release of desktop Firefox. So the whole Quantum backend and the latest APIs will finally be on KaiOS! This is all going to be released on KaiOS 3.0, and with enough luck, us 8110 4G users might get it.

It's an exciting time to be a KaiOS user, at least in my eyes :D

More info on the KaiOS website here.

GK Fan

Mar 11, 2020, 11:27:08 PM3/11/20
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Wow straight from version 48 to version 78 I can't feel my face

Сом Речной

Mar 12, 2020, 7:20:15 AM3/12/20
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
>I cant feel my face.

--dont worry bro, I cant feel your face as well bit I can live with that.

A A A

Mar 12, 2020, 4:28:52 PM3/12/20
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
It depends on the system updates and knowing some manufacters as we know, like my Positivo P70S that didn't bother to got the 2.5.2 update till now, it will be the android way, want updted OS? Buy a newer phone!

Ivan Alex HC

Mar 12, 2020, 4:54:46 PM3/12/20
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
in this case I suggest to remember the most important thing: telephones are used to communicate!
Personally, I added many things to my Nokia 8110, but there are still a few things that are actually present in a Nokia 2720 Flip / 800 Tough and that perhaps a Positivo P70s already has. Therefore, the path of KaiOS, with the intervention of Mozilla, can only grow and improve and in a few years we will really have an increasingly competitive operating system!
For now, let's think about using our phones for what we really need, and if some function is missing now we can always add it using the guides we've written so far.

A A A

Mar 12, 2020, 10:03:29 PM3/12/20
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
It would be cool if at last they fix bugs like:
After wasting 5 minutes writing a 6 or 7 lines long message on whatsapp and pressing the back key a single time to erase a single word, it deletes my entire 7 lines message, just awesome.
When i browse some site and after pressing the back button to close the browser and it freezes forever on the browser homepage till i pull my phone battery out.
Sometimes when i do a call, the button to end it stop working so, to actually finish it <battery pull out>
Sometimes the WiFi connection refuses to work after some minutes on, solution: Reboot the phone.

And so many more annoying and awesome bugs that happens not just a single time in a daily basis.
Sorry not trying to be rude, but for just "communicating" (making calls and sending SMS) standard dumb featurephones can do the job.
The goal of the KaiOS is to bring on some advanced functions to simple and cheap phones, and they are doing great, i just hope brands update their devices cause being stuck on an old firmware with a plenty of never fixed bugs is embarassing enough.

ProgrammAbel

Mar 13, 2020, 12:13:18 PM3/13/20
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
What phone do you have? I know KaiOS is quite buggy, but I've never experienced anything on that level.

After wasting 5 minutes writing a 6 or 7 lines long message on whatsapp and pressing the back key a single time to erase a single word, it deletes my entire 7 lines message, just awesome.

Don't hold the button for too long, else that'll happen. That's not a bug, because otherwise it would take forever to delete long messages. Just press it multiple times.