Nokia 2720 after update

pometlon

Oct 13, 2021, 3:29:57 PM10/13/21
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
After recent KaiOS update to 2.5.2.2 on my Nokia 2720 flip bloatware appeared again. When trying to remove it, I now can't connect the phone to remote runtime through Palemoon. Earlier there was no problem do do it. Anyone knows if rooting is now maybe prevented by the new update?

Farooq Karimi Zadeh

Oct 13, 2021, 4:51:00 PM10/13/21
to pometlon, comp.mobile.nokia.8110
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bananahackers/8873d5b5-ae81-409d-aba7-65db631c3dfen%40googlegroups.com
> [1].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bananahackers/8873d5b5-ae81-409d-aba7-65db631c3dfen%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

Yeah the problem's with the update you just made. The only solution
we've got so far and which might work is patching /boot partition as far
as I know.

Luxferre

Oct 14, 2021, 2:47:27 AM10/14/21
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Yes, WebIDE connection and usual rooting is prevented by the new update (30.00.17.05) on both 2720 Flip and 800 Tough (the latter, and I have two different items, is still not updated at my place and stuck at v12). I'm going to investigate more on Saturday, but it looks like we need to use the same boot-patching-over-EDL approach as we did for 8000. Looks like KaiOS rooting (at least on Qualcomms) becomes harder and closer to modern Androids. We need to counter that somehow. Stay tuned.

Luxferre

Oct 16, 2021, 1:10:45 PM10/16/21
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Yep, everything told before has been confirmed. Using a normal EDL process, you need to:
1) pull the boot partition from the device,
2) patch it with the 8k-boot-patcher (the original one gets renamed to boot-orig.img) using Docker as per the instructions on that page,
3) flash the patched boot.img image back to the device -

and WebIDE connection is back (alongside with the rooted ADB). Looks like they pay attention to the ro.debuggable flag now...

Luxferre

Oct 16, 2021, 1:11:22 PM10/16/21
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
(obviously, you need to flash the original boot partition image back if you want to receive new stock updates)

pometlon

Oct 19, 2021, 4:27:54 AM10/19/21
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Thanks a lot.

Dne sobota 16. října 2021 v 19:11:22 UTC+2 uživatel Luxferre napsal:
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

chri...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2021, 1:08:22 PM10/20/21
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
honestly, and i mean no disrespect, but flashing / EDL / etc concepts are processes that don't lend themselves to being dumbed down.  if you really want to go that route, you should really spend the time digesting the various documents on the bananahackers site.  and if it intimidates you (it does for me), then it's not something for you to do...

On Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 7:19:26 PM UTC-4 tzvib...@gmail.com wrote:
I have the 2720 V Flip

On Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 7:14:01 PM UTC-4 Tzvi Bennett wrote:
Could you please explain how to do what you just said in dummy terms for me? I have a similar problem.
Message has been deleted

Łukasz Kalina

Jan 11, 2022, 6:22:20 PM1/11/22
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Hello,
i tested banana EDL method for Nokia 800 Though KaiOS 2.5.2.2 (update 30.00.17.05, October 2021).

Tutorial for newbie - telephone Nokia 800 Though KaiOS 2.5.2.2 (update 30.00.17.05, October 2021):
Use this tutorial if your phone has the update: KaiOS 2.5.2.2 (update 30.00.17.05, October 2021)
and step 6 not working (You get error: Operation Failed: Connecting to remote runtime)
in Palemoon-Portable -> Web Developer -> WebIDE, despite using the command: adb forward tcp:6000 localfilesystem:/data/local/debugger-socket (for connection fix))

Note: the guide was prepared for KaiOS 2.5.2.2 - I cannot guarantee operation on subsequent updates.
Keep an eye on the official information from banana:
Official YouTube channel BananaHackers: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe7iCNm4ZJpP9wN_Y02kbA

1. Read first this and create EDL working environment for Windows (in article go to: EDL on Windows):

HINT 1: important links:
; Python (for Windows 7 x64 i recommend Python 3.8)

; EDL package with drivers for Windows - driver for Windows is in Drivers/Qualcomm_Diag_QD_Loader_2016_driver.exe:

; Nokia 800 Though loader (copy 800t.mbn to edl directory)

; Zadiq app for replace driver

HINT 2: Nokia 800 Though turn ON/OFF EDL mode:
Power Off Nokia 800 Though
EDL mode ON:
press and hold joystick DOWN + joystick UP and connect USB cable to telephone
EDL mode OFF:
press and hold power button 10s and disconnect USB cable

2. If you perform the first step correctly - the following command must work in CMD.exe on Windows for connected Nokia 800 Though in EDL mode:
; CMD.exe command: listing Nokia 800 Though partitions
py edl.py -loader 800t.mbn -printgpt

3. Create boot.img from your BOOT partition
; CMD.exe command: create boot.img from BOOT partition
py edl.py -loader 800t.mbn -r boot boot.img

4. You must patch (unlock) boot.img in UNIX (actually no have solution for Windows) by this tools:
(I can upload my modified boot.img, but I'm not sure if the file is identical for every Nokia 800 Though.)

5. If you have successfully completed step 4:
; CMD.exe command: write boot.img (patched in step 4)
py edl.py -loader 800t.mbn -w boot boot.img

;... and restart your telephone after successfuly
py edl.py -loader 800t.mbn -reset

6.  CONGRATULATIONS - your Nokia 800 Though (KaiOS 2.5.2.2) is now unlocked - you can re-use the old method:
*#*#372733#*#* (for enable debug mode)
adb forward tcp:6000 localfilesystem:/data/local/debugger-socket (for connection fix)
Palemoon-Portable -> Web Developer -> WebIDE

I hope that my guide has made the preparation of the Nokia 800 Though phone easier to understand.

czwartek, 21 października 2021 o 01:21:26 UTC+2 tzvib...@gmail.com napisał(a):
Would anybody with the knowledge of how to do it be able to explain it to me in layman's terms? If not, then I have no clue what to do. Anyway, is it even possible? (Like with Firmware editing or something)?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

joe-net

Jan 13, 2022, 6:17:32 PM1/13/22
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
I believe these are all the options to put it to edl mode,
so or the phone is broken or maybe you mist some steps

On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 10:13:01 PM UTC tzvib...@gmail.com wrote:
I tried using an EDL cable also (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NVHD3WT), using the instructions at https://wiki.bananahackers.net/development/edl#using-an-edl-cable. Still not working. Does anybody know of a way to put Nokia 2720 V Flip into EDL mode?
On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 8:38:58 PM UTC-5 Tzvi Bennett wrote:
Thank you so much for trying to help! I'm having trouble getting my phone into EDL mode (basically, I have no clue what to do, I did everything exactly as instructed in the link you said up to, " Zadig to detect the device," step 3). I have the Nokia 2720 V flip. I can't find anything online as to how to get it into EDL mode. Is it possible? If anybody has an answer, please respond. Thank you so much!

yair...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2022, 7:10:46 PM1/13/22
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Connect while turned off with pressing both volume up and down buttons

ב-יום שישי, 14 בינואר 2022 בשעה 00:13:01 UTC+2, tzvib...@gmail.com כתב/ה:
I tried using an EDL cable also (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NVHD3WT), using the instructions at https://wiki.bananahackers.net/development/edl#using-an-edl-cable. Still not working. Does anybody know of a way to put Nokia 2720 V Flip into EDL mode?
On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 8:38:58 PM UTC-5 Tzvi Bennett wrote:
Thank you so much for trying to help! I'm having trouble getting my phone into EDL mode (basically, I have no clue what to do, I did everything exactly as instructed in the link you said up to, " Zadig to detect the device," step 3). I have the Nokia 2720 V flip. I can't find anything online as to how to get it into EDL mode. Is it possible? If anybody has an answer, please respond. Thank you so much!
On Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 6:22:20 PM UTC-5 Łukasz Kalina wrote:
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mattzilla

Apr 2, 2022, 9:30:08 PM4/2/22
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Thank you, working on Nokia 2720 now.

SamL

Jun 15, 2023, 3:20:41 PM6/15/23
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
I'm getting this when trying to pull the boot partition - any advice

AttributeError: 'gpt' object has no attribute 'partentries'. Did you mean: 'num_part_entries'?

SamL

Jun 19, 2023, 10:49:50 AM6/19/23
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
An update to this - I was able to grab the boot img by using an older version of EDL.

The issue is now when i load the new boot image i get a verification error on the phone.

Trying to figure out a way around it.

biden2...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2023, 6:59:51 PM11/20/23
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
@SamL I am having the same issue. Although I am new to this, it seems like a locked bootloader problem.

Did anyone else have this problem?

biden2...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2023, 6:23:06 PM11/27/23
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Can someone please confirm or deny:

If my 2720 is KaiOS 2.5.4, then I cannot enable USB Debugging?

And can someone with a debug enabled phone PLEASE post a full firmware dump: (edl rf flash.bin). I would really really appreciate it

minhduc-bui1

Dec 11, 2023, 3:09:16 PM12/11/23
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
I assume you're having the V variant of the Nokia 2720 Flip, which is tailored to work on Verizon in the US. Carrier-locked phones and US phones in general have all sorts of restrictions in place to ensure device security and prevent people from bypassing the network lock, two of which are limiting/removing debugging access on the phone and enhancing SELinux. If you grab and extract the boot partition of the phone, you might see 'ro.debugging' property being intentionally set to 0. So yea, debugging is not yet possible on the 2720 V Flip. Getting root access by utilizing EDL mode and modifying the boot partition using the same techniques as the 8000 4G/6300 4G is possible, but there's no confirmation on this.

On October 2021 I got in contact with Lazlo on Discord and he kindly extracted his 2720 V Flip's boot and system partitions, which I uploaded to my GitHub later for archiving purposes, and you can check it out here. So far no one has been able to dump a full firmware build yet.