The conservative case for public transportation

jamiehunt

Sep 3, 2010, 2:45:27 PM9/3/10
to BALTOmorrow
It's been a bit quiet on the boards lately. Came across this and
thought I'd toss it into the bin for y'all's edification.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From The American Conservative ...

"Keep America Moving: A Special Symposium on Transit"

" Next month, The American Conservative’s nonprofit parent, The
American Ideas Institute, will launch a new center on transportation
made possible by a grant from the Rockefeller Foundation. The center
will work to showcase conservative arguments for a balanced
transportation system in which rail and roads complement one another.
As a preview of this new program, we present this symposium on the
conservative case for rail"

http://www.amconmag.com/blog/keep-america-moving/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

All I have to add is that while I favor robust public transit, there
is no scenario in which p.t. makes sense for beer trucks and first
responders, nor--in the pantheon of Enjoyable Things To Do--will it
ever replace doing eighty on a summer night with the windows down and
"Little Feat" on the radio. (Although, hauling a Christmas Tree on the
London Underground's Northern Line from Camden Market to Highgate is
close.)

This is why the "highways are subsidized, too" argument is meaningless
to me. Avoid it at your peril. Life is short.

Have a great weekend everyone!