Long-range transportation plan for the Baltimore region

cooter

Dec 4, 2010, 3:23:52 PM12/4/10
to BALTOmorrow

As part of its effort to develop Plan It 2035 – the next long-range
transportation plan for the Baltimore region – the Baltimore Regional
Transportation Board is currently accepting project ideas from
individuals and organizations. The BRTB has developed two ways for the
public to share their ideas.

The first is an exciting new interactive tool that allows members of
the public to quickly brainstorm their ideas on a Google Map. Visitors
to the map simply find the location they’d like to suggest a project –
either by zooming in to a location or using the embedded search tool –
and drop a “pin” on the map. This will open a box that allows the user
to enter some brief information about their proposed project. Visitors
will also be able to see what other people are proposing by clicking
on the other pins.

The second way is to fill out a form and send it back to the BRTB
(details below). This form allows members of the public to write in
brief details such as the location and type of project, what goals/
objectives it meets, and how it will benefit the region.

Public project ideas and comments are welcome from Thursday, December
2, 2010 through Thursday, January 6, 2011.

>> Share your idea on our interactive map!

>> Download the Project Idea form in PDF (174 kb) or Word (777 kb)

What kinds of projects can be submitted?

The types of projects that are generally included in a long-range
regional transportation plan are long-term capital projects that are
open for use between the years 2016-2035.

Examples include:

a new transit line or station
new bicycle facility (i.e., new trail, a bicycle path)
new highway interchange
widened highway (i.e., widen from 2 to 4 lanes)
Smaller projects such as the ones listed below are not included in
detail in the regional long-range transportation plan:

sidewalk improvement
streetscapes
bus replacement
bike racks
potholes/resurfacing
Rather, these kinds of projects are generally addressed in short-range
plans and at the local level. In addition, funding for operating and
maintaining the transportation system is in a separate category within
the long-range plan and is not part of this call for project ideas.

How will the BRTB use this information?

The BRTB will consider all ideas and will share the list with the
public. However, the BRTB is making no commitment to model or analyze
any or all project ideas submitted. Rather, the sharing of project
ideas is to promote dialogue and to inform the BRTB members of ideas
that residents have for the future transportation system in the
Baltimore region.

To assist you with an understanding of what the BRTB considers when
they review potential projects, we will describe some of the selection
criteria. The criteria are based on the goals and strategies that were
developed with public input then adopted by the BRTB in October 2010.

Some of the typical criteria deal with:

safety
access to the transportation system
travel time and congestion
environmental considerations, particularly air quality
cost effectiveness
support for goods movement
a project's relationship to Priority Funding Areas
How to submit your project ideas

To share your project ideas, visit our interactive online mapping
tool.

Or, submit your form to:

The Baltimore Regional Transportation Board
1500 Whetsone Way, Suite 300
Baltimore, MD 21230

Fax: 410-732-8248
E-mail: comm...@baltometro.org
Web: Public comment form

All Plan It 2035 project ideas must be submitted by Thursday, January
6, 2011.

For more information:

Monica Haines Benkhedda, mhainesb...@baltometro.org, 410-732-0500
x1047

Terry Freeland, tfre...@baltometro.org, 410-732-0500 x1028

Gerald Neily

Dec 6, 2010, 8:30:02 PM12/6/10
to Nathaniel Payer, balto...@googlegroups.com, michel.r...@gmail.com, John Cutonilli, Christopher T Field, Deacon Michael Bishop, Marty Taylor, Rognelheight, Saul Wilson, Rosenberg, Ben
Sorry, Cooter, thanks, but I can't have anything to do with BRTB. Now that Nate Payer has informed us of what they did to Ed Cohen (see below), it confirms that they are a sham organization and I just don't want to waste myself on their activities.

I'll continue to offer my views where I feel they are appreciated and can reach a suitable audience, such as BaltimoreBrew.com

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Nathaniel Payer <geto...@gmail.com> wrote:
Please read below to see how the underhanded process our qausi-government body is trying to eliminate Ed Cohen from the BRTB CAC!

John C, per Ed, please attend if you can, and vote for Michele.

Nate

Dec 7, 2010, 8:20:11 AM12/7/10
to John Cutonilli, Nathaniel Payer, balto...@googlegroups.com, michel.r...@gmail.com, Christopher T Field, Deacon Michael Bishop, Marty Taylor, Rognelheight, Saul Wilson, Rosenberg, Ben, ra...@getontrac.org
John, you are providing a very scathing attack on BRTB. What you just said is the very definition of bad planning.

I do not stick my head in the sand. I present my ideas in far greater scope and detail than would be possible in any of their sponsored forums. It's also much more than just projects. It encompasses ways of thinking about problems. My concepts and ideas are out there to be seen, and I try to respond to all feedback. I put my name on everything and am easily accessible. If groups like BRTB are doing their job, they will seek out all ideas and not just consider their own or from their favored groups like GBC. It is very bad planning to dismiss alternatives out of hand.

BRTB works for the public. They are the ones with obligations to the taxpayers to do the best possible planning.

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:24 AM, John Cutonilli <jcuto...@haifire.com> wrote:

The BRTB did not reject Ed. At the CAC meeting they indicated that there is an informal agreement among the local representatives where they can voice their disapproval with who ever is chosen by the CAC. The local representative expressed disapproval of Ed. In Ed’s case this representative is Jamie Kendrick. The CAC voted to resubmit Ed’s name to the BRTB. I would suspect that Ed will remain on the CAC.

Sticking your head in the sand is going to do nothing to change Baltimore. If you don’t submit alternative projects, you give them the opportunity to say their projects were the only ones available to fund. It’s easy to draw lines on a map when you don’t have to live with any of the restrictions that are imposed on planners.

It is definitely not easy to deal with the BRTB. Most decisions are either politically motivated or appear to be based on the least amount of thinking required. They tend to take a very narrow view of ideas submitted, rejecting them because of some little known requirement or because they don’t understand it. They provide very little feedback. The more you know about the process the more likely they will be to accept your ideas.

John

michele rosenberg

Dec 7, 2010, 9:45:07 PM12/7/10
to Gerald Neily, John Cutonilli, Nathaniel Payer, balto...@googlegroups.com, Christopher T Field, Deacon Michael Bishop, Marty Taylor, Rognelheight, Saul Wilson, Rosenberg, Ben, ra...@getontrac.org
I just want to let all of you know that I will take my position as chair of the CAC seriously and do not plan to be a rubber stamp.  However, neither will I summarily dismiss everything that the BRTB says like you might wish.

Hopefully we can all work together to achieve the best as regards to transportation issues and I am saying this without being Pollyanish.

Michele Rosenberg

Gerald Neily

Dec 8, 2010, 9:45:03 AM12/8/10
to Rosenberg, Ben, michel.r...@gmail.com, John Cutonilli, Nathaniel Payer, balto...@googlegroups.com, Christopher T Field, Deacon Michael Bishop, Marty Taylor, Rognelheight, Saul Wilson, ra...@getontrac.org
Congratulations Michele, and good luck !!!!!!!!

I had that job for two years in the late '90s, and they had me on a short leash. Your email to Ed Cohen (that he had Nate Payer send to us) really show that you are up for the job of dealing with those people.

I try not to be too cynical, but it all boils down to really bad planning.

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Rosenberg, Ben <BRose...@rosenbergmartin.com> wrote:
Michele - For the past 2 years, I have had numerous discussions with our local, state and federal officials regarding the Red Line's devastating impact on Canton in general and Boston Street in particular. For the most part, our concerns have fallen on deaf ears. I would like to get together with you to talk about this if you think it would be helpful. I can always be reached at my office 410 727-6600 or by email brose...@rosenbergmartin.com.

Benjamin Rosenberg
Rosenberg | Martin | Greenberg, LLP
25 South Charles Street, Suite 2115
Baltimore, MD 21201-3305