Job loss due to bad trade

pto...@comcast.net

Aug 25, 2010, 9:44:29 AM8/25/10
to balto...@googlegroups.com

One of the most unfortunate things about this great recession is that so many people blame themselves for what’s happened. In fact, the forces responsible for it are like slow moving tectonic plates, much too big to comprehend.

Here’s a brief video that documents the nature of modern transpacific shipping:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYvWaVTLOSg

Meanwhile, schools think that if only little Johnny could read better, we could get our economy back. Others think that some new miracle technology will come along and save us.  Transit people think that more trains are going to make a huge difference.  And there are those who think we should try legalizing gambling, drugs, or prostitution to some  degree, and that will stimulate the economy.  I’m not so sure about that. As Einstein once said, weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. Sounds like a slippery slope to me.

The fact is, our whole society is out of whack. The fact is, Clinton and Bush sold us a bill of goods on the trade issue and it’s not getting any better. I know this is somewhat controversial. I just thought I’d toss it out.

Youssef Mahmoud

Aug 25, 2010, 9:54:53 AM8/25/10
to balto...@googlegroups.com
I can't see how we'll last till 2030 as the number one economy.  All we need is one more financial sector upset and I think we drop to number two within a year.

Gerald Neily

Aug 25, 2010, 10:17:36 AM8/25/10
to balto...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys, please try to relate this stuff to specific Baltimore issues.

A major part of Baltimore's economy is based on world trade. There are winners and losers, but Baltimore should be one of the winners. Yes, we should figure out how to make world trade work better to help the losers benefit from it, but the problems are not the fault of the economic theories that demonstrate how we can all benefit.

James Hunt

Aug 25, 2010, 10:38:19 AM8/25/10
to balto...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Gerald Neily <geral...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey guys, please try to relate this stuff to specific Baltimore issues.

A major part of Baltimore's economy is based on world trade. There are winners and losers, but Baltimore should be one of the winners.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Often, it's helps to be (or come from) outside of a place to see its possibilities. Alex. Brown (Belfast), Harry and Isidore Paterakis (Greece), Pratt and Peabody (Massachusetts), and Hopkins and Aeroteck/Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti  (AA county). Baltimore will be one of the winners.

Sorry to sound like a relentless booster, but the city's upside potential is incredible. About which more another time.

Youssef Mahmoud

Aug 25, 2010, 10:50:17 AM8/25/10
to balto...@googlegroups.com
oh, why wait for another time?  I like to hear good things about Baltimore.

James Hunt

Aug 25, 2010, 10:57:22 AM8/25/10
to balto...@googlegroups.com

Deadlines. I write constantly; occasionally for pay  ;-)

michele rosenberg

Aug 25, 2010, 4:48:00 PM8/25/10
to balto...@googlegroups.com
Most of my paying sources have gone belly up.  where are you selling things these days?