Why is my print slanted to one side? layer slipping

Todd

Dec 16, 2011, 11:42:03 AM12/16/11
to Baltimore Node MakerBot Users Group
I was printing last night, and things were going pretty well, but the
part was moving to the left each layer. The cross-section of the
resulting shape would look like \\ instead of || and I was sad. I put
foosball table silicone grease on the rods for the X axis (and the Y
just for kicks) and it fixed the problem.

Marty McGuire

Dec 16, 2011, 11:56:37 AM12/16/11
to baltimore...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like the axis was losing steps as it moved.  There are a handful of things to try when this happens:
  • grease the axes (you did this and it worked, yay!)
  • the belt may be slipping - tighten (or in some rare cases, loosen) the offending belt
  • the pulley that moves the belt may have come loose. use the tiny hex key to tighten it. everything might have to be taken apart before you can reach it. :/
  • the stepper motor drivers may not be receiving enough power - check their voltages (not sure this applies to a Cupcake CNC)
  • the stepper motor may be failing (super rare).
Those are some things I've seen the MakerBot support guys deal with.

--Marty

Todd Blatt

Dec 16, 2011, 12:04:15 PM12/16/11
to baltimore...@googlegroups.com
My second step was going to be to fuss with the tension of the belt, but I didn't know if i should make it tighter or loser.  I'm glad the grease worked.

Todd Blatt
tbl...@gmail.com
@tblatt on twitter
443-599-9196
www.bytestobits.com

Todd

Jan 15, 2012, 5:52:01 PM1/15/12
to Baltimore Node MakerBot Users Group
New grease is available... it's actual 3-1 oil and it's in the orange
bottle near the bot. currently all axes are lubed and the bot seems
to be working pretty well.