[random question] Foam pad on printer solenoid?

John Milner

Feb 25, 2019, 10:37:35 PM2/25/19
to Baltimore Node Discussion
Hey folks,

A printer (that I found in a dumpster 😁) had a problem with a sticking solenoid: the exact same problem, in fact, as detailed in this (other person's) YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XEzMNJV8vw.

I cleaned off the goopy muck, but clearly some of it was adhesive that had been put there intentionally to hold something. Referencing a picture of the solenoid assembly in new condition (see below), it looks like it was some kind of foam pad; does anyone think this piece is necessary? Perhaps it served to quiet down the metal-on-metal clanging, but it's not really that loud, and it only triggers once per sheet of paper anyway.

Thanks for reading!

John

Karl Palm

Feb 26, 2019, 9:09:56 AM2/26/19
to baltimore-no...@googlegroups.com
Only other use I could see is lessen the impact force to the connecting pieces. However with the thickness of pad shown I would vote not necessary.

--
Come to the Baltimore Node's OpenHack, every Thursday at 7pm. Details at http://baltimorenode.org/?utm_source=Disc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Open%20Hack
---

John Milner

Feb 28, 2019, 11:30:29 PM2/28/19
to Baltimore Node Discussion
OK, thanks! Printer is working fine so far without it :)

Attachments:
  • image.png
  • image.png