Looking For A Maker - Job Opening

Marc Schmidt

Aug 7, 2020, 5:53:08 PM8/7/20
to Baltimore Node Discussion

Hi,

I am writing to get the word out about a job opening we have at Glenelg Country School to run our new Innovation Lab. We are having trouble finding the right person in traditional teaching circles and thought maybe you or someone in your circles might have someone that would be a great fit and is looking for an opportunity like this.   I have put the job description below in case you could think of anyone or had any ideas on who I could contact to circulate this opportunity.

Thanks

Marc Schmidt

Innovation Lab / Makerspace Director

Glenelg Country School is seeking an individual to direct the school’s Innovation Lab and develop programs that inspires students as they grow to be creative thinkers and learners. The Director will support teachers to integrate multiple technologies that promote cooperative and project-based learning through an interdisciplinary and STEAM curriculum.

Primary Responsibilities:

• Experience (or familiarity with) tools such as, but not limited to: 3D printing, AutoCAD, CNC, Arduino, Makey-Makey, Codecademy, Raspberry Pi

• Plan and coordinate all STEAM related educational activities, including the purchasing and planned use of tools and resources, professional development and projects

• Model passion and a strong understanding of the principles of science, engineering, technology, math and design thinking

• Identify specific, age-appropriate objectives and collaborate with high school and middle school teachers to increase STEAM, design, innovation and makerspace opportunities among the student community

• Maintain machines, tools, materials, safe use, and schedule of the Makerspace

• Teach a course to 9th grade students designed to expose them to the tools and resources in the Innovation Lab along with the design process.

• Research and recommend the purchase of appropriate STEAM tools and resources for classroom use and ensure staff are appropriately trained

• Facilitate connections with other makerspace communities and external organizations that promote program participation and provide collaborative opportunities.

• Investigate and plan for implementation of a school wide STEAM/science fair

Qualifications:

• Bachelor's degree in a related content area required

• Teaching experience preferred along with a strong personal interest and exposure to all STEM areas and activities

• Classroom experience and strong classroom management skills

• Ability to inspire students and encourage creative thinking Key Skills:

• Highly effective communication, listening, collaboration, and interpersonal skills

• Effective written, verbal, and technology-based communication skills

• Ability to demonstrate growth mindset, optimism, and belief that all students can learn

• Self-starter with the ability to innovate and think creatively about education

• Leadership ability in the use, adaptation, and introduction of a wide-array of technology as tools to support and deepen student learning and instruction

Contact Marc Schmidt (sch...@glenelg.org) or send your resume to:

Glenelg Country School
Attn: Ms. Lauren Avant, Human Resources
12793 Folly Quarter Road