Bonding through Bureaucracy

1 view

Jon Lesser

Jul 25, 2009, 2:18:42 AM7/25/09
to baltimore-hackerspace-planning
Thanks to everyone who came out tonight and worked so hard to review
and approve the bylaws. That 14ish people, mostly strangers to each
other, can be moved to spend three hours together on a Friday night
debating bylaws is a testament to the Node's potential. If we can get
this much participation for the boring stuff, just wait till we get to
the fun stuff.

We did not get to most of the other items on the agenda, but we did
the most important things. We will need to elect officers at the next
meeting, which will be in about a week (place and time TBD).

If you want to join and haven't paid dues yet, use the donation box on
baltimorenode.org
If you want to join and haven't filled out the membership form, do so
here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHoyLU1uamlvMzAxN0JJOE40S0hnVnc6MA..

Also, a shout out to our interim secretary MattyFo for keeping the
minutes tonight, or at least keeping up the appearance of frantic
typing for nearly three hours.

Cheers,
Jon

--
http://jonlesser.net

Steven Stowell

Jul 25, 2009, 2:58:15 PM7/25/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Hate to say it, but now that we are all a bunch of legal wonks (who knew!), it would seem we need to schedule the next meeting immediately if we are to meet our lease deadlines, and live within our bylaws.  After all, isn't this a Special Meeting?

Steve

Adam D Bachman

Jul 25, 2009, 3:58:31 PM7/25/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Do it. Gotta sign the lease before the Aug 1 (week from today), right?

Mark and I deposited the checks from the meeting which will put the account just north of 1400 after the deposits clear. That's enough to write the first month + security deposit check. Sounds to me like it's go time. The lease machinery could run in parallel to continuing bureaucratic efforts, which means one track for lease and failsafe signing (signers' status as officers being irrelevant to their willingness to put money where their mouth is) and one track for clearing out the rest of last night's agenda.

Jon, you've got the checkbook, I'm willing to sign a lease. Perhaps the failsafe and lease signers (latter being a subset of the former) could meet @ LoF early in the week and folks interested in voting on more things (like officers and membership agreements) could meet once the lease is signed? I'm able to make time, but the sooner we schedule with Sherwin, the better.

- Adam

Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8

Jul 25, 2009, 4:23:51 PM7/25/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
I call for a Special meeting as one of the interim board members on Wed July 29th 2009, hopefully at the ETC again, to finalize the filing of the lease as well as call into order a motion to start elections for officers and approval for full time board members. I also request we make a possible amendment to the bylaws that to be a member of the Baltimore Node board you can not be an elected officer of Baltimore Node to allow for no conflict of interest in decisions of votes of no confidence  as voted by the voting power of the the board.

cooter

Jul 25, 2009, 4:58:11 PM7/25/09
to baltimore-hackerspace-planning
Patrick, you are no longer on the board. According to the bylaws, that
you approved, board members must be approved at an annual meeting
taking place in the first three month of the year. This annual meeting
has not taken place. Board members cannot call special meeting anyway.
Members may call a special meeting through a petition approved by 1/3
of the membership. This petition must include the date, time, place
and agenda of the special meeting and the notice of the meeting must
take place at least 72 hours before a meeting. I would start a
petition, but I have not paid my dues so I am technically not a
member.

John

On Jul 25, 4:23 pm, Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8
> > On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 2:18 AM, Jon Lesser <jonles...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > Thanks to everyone who came out tonight and worked so hard to review
> > and approve the bylaws. That 14ish people, mostly strangers to each
> > other, can be moved to spend three hours together on a Friday night
> > debating bylaws is a testament to the Node's potential. If we can get
> > this much participation for the boring stuff, just wait till we get to
> > the fun stuff.
>
> > We did not get to most of the other items on the agenda, but we did
> > the most important things. We will need to elect officers at the next
> > meeting, which will be in about a week (place and time TBD).
>
> > If you want to join and haven't paid dues yet, use the donation box on
> > baltimorenode.org
> > If you want to join and haven't filled out the membership form, do so
> > here:https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHoyLU1uamlvMzAxN0JJ...
> > ..

Mark Huson

Jul 25, 2009, 5:03:01 PM7/25/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
As i remember we approved to keep the interim board before we approved the bylaws lastnight. So in that case i second a meeting on Weds so we can get the rest of the agenda sorted out. The place doesnt matter but i'd suggest 7 for the time.

-Mark

Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8

Jul 25, 2009, 5:10:49 PM7/25/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Well any members want to call a special meeting because we can't finalize any of this stuff unless they do or how on earth do we set up the first annual meeting if we follow the letter to the T of the by laws. We are kinda have to maintain the transitional founding occupation government till rule of power can be transfered to the iraqis .... wait a sec wrong coversation :D

And what Mark said!

Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8

Jul 26, 2009, 2:18:01 AM7/26/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

So I'm moving to my new cheaper place this weekend and I was wondering
if anyone happens to have a truck that they wouldn't mind helping me
move three pieces of furniture with. Or letting me borrow it for three
hours to move everything. Will fill it up with 20 dollars in gas for
the time.

Will treat you with coffee, tea, or other trivial starbucks treat if
you decide to help too :D

Regards,

Patrick Roanhouse

Steven Stowell

Jul 26, 2009, 11:18:43 AM7/26/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Patrick, cant do this weekend, but I have a small Mazda pickup.   I can help whenever next meet is this upcoming week, but maybe that's too late.
Steve