Re: plans to visit futon building?

Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8

Jul 6, 2009, 5:03:25 PM7/6/09
to Steven Stowell, baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
hey everyone i need to see when is a good time for us to visit the
Fells Point Futon Location. Karen who is the lady running it is free
everyday this week after 5 to give us a tour if you want.
Wed is the earliest I can do this but I am also gonna contact the 1534
Fleet street Location now as well to schedule something for maybe
thursday.

On Jul 6, 2009, at 4:56 PM, Steven Stowell wrote:

> Patrick
> Did you arrange to see the futon building that you were talking about?
> - Steve Stowell

Mark Huson

Jul 6, 2009, 5:08:16 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com, Steven Stowell, baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Thursday is the first workshop so I'm no good that day

On Jul 6, 2009, at 5:03 PM, Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8 <patrickr...@plan8ts.com

Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8

Jul 6, 2009, 5:14:55 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com, Steven Stowell
well is wed good for everyone then to go and check out the 1442 Fleet St. Fells Point Futon Factory. Zoned M3 ? say at 6:00 pm?

Adam D Bachman

Jul 6, 2009, 5:23:44 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
If anyone else is curious, M3 would allow us to run an abattoir and conditionally maintain an arsenal, among other benefits... http://cityservices.baltimorecity.gov/charterandcodes/Code/Art%2000%20-%20Zoning.pdf

- Adam

Mark Huson

Jul 6, 2009, 5:36:59 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
As well as Alcohol distillation and beer and ale brewing, a tavern, ammonia manufacture, etc! What was the monthly price of the futon building 2,000 a month?

Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8

Jul 6, 2009, 5:37:59 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
hey i'm finding a few other locations to check out and right in hampden too.

$1500 / 3700ft² - HISTORIC HAMPDEN STOREFRONTS AVAILABLE (4029 FALLS ROAD)

$750 / 1500ft² - Beauty Salon, Warehouse, Retail, Wholesale, Etc. (East Baltimore)

Adam D Bachman

Jul 6, 2009, 5:40:31 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
We can already brew beer (200 gallons per household, per year). I'm not going to touch distillation or sales. That's when the ATF agents come into play.

You want to rent a warehouse and turn it into Thunderdome, that's all you, man...

- Adam

Jon Lesser

Jul 6, 2009, 5:44:09 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Patrick,

I can do Wednesday. Also, the $750/1500ft^2 place looks nice. I'll add
it to the wiki. Are you calling?

-Jon

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Patrick Roanhouse -
--
http://jonlesser.net

Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8

Jul 6, 2009, 5:49:03 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Is everyone free to check it out on the location then or are we going to joke more? Because I am trying to set up a time for all of us to check this spot out and I am getting no clear answer from you guys just wise cracks.

Is WED, July 8th at 6:00 pm an ok time for everyone to check out the location of 1442 Fleet St, formerly the Fells Point Futon Factory?

Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8

Jul 6, 2009, 5:50:20 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Already did. on the $750/1500 location. the slop sink kitchen would be very nice and the space looks very good to what we need.

$750 / 1500ft² - Beauty Salon, Warehouse, Retail, Wholesale, Etc. (East
Baltimore)
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/off/1249339738.html

Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8

Jul 6, 2009, 5:52:52 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Hey Adam, I would very much like to setup an email with you for the
baltimore node setup. that way i can give that out for locations I
want to get information on. Second I would like to see if we can setup
an email address we can all access as a central location for us to post.

Like Con...@BaltimoreNode.org so we can all login and manage it and
have every email forward to there if possible as a backup for everyone
so we have a history of everything going on.

Jon Lesser

Jul 6, 2009, 5:55:25 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
> $1500 / 3700ft² - HISTORIC HAMPDEN STOREFRONTS AVAILABLE (4029 FALLS ROAD)
> http://baltimore.craigslist.org/off/1240979369.html
This listing actually reads $15 / 3700ft^2. I'm assuming that means
$15 per square foot per year or $4,625 per month for whole place. Am I
wrong on this?

> Already did. on the $750/1500 location. the slop sink kitchen would be very
> nice and the space looks very good to what we need.
Already called or already added it to the wiki? Did you set up a time
to go see it?

At this point, I don't think we're going to get 8 people to show up to
any one place.

-Jon

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Patrick Roanhouse -
--
http://jonlesser.net

Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8

Jul 6, 2009, 6:02:51 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com

Kelly Egan

Jul 6, 2009, 6:11:29 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
The price on the Hampden place doesn't seem right. $15 a square foot? That must be a typo or something. I suppose it could be per year, that seems weird. Do people do that? The place is selling for 475,000.

Pending no calamities I should be able to make it Friday and probably Wednesday.

Kelly

Jon Lesser

Jul 6, 2009, 6:19:59 PM7/6/09
On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Kelly Egan<kelly...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The price on the Hampden place doesn't seem right. $15 a square foot? That
> must be a typo or something. I suppose it could be per year, that seems
> weird. Do people do that? The place is selling for 475,000.

Annual quoting doesn't seem entirely uncommon, even on craigslist. Avery?!
http://realestate.about.com/od/commercialrealestat1/a/lease_calculati.htm
--
http://jonlesser.net

Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8

Jul 6, 2009, 6:25:55 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Ok I'm scheduling the tour of the location.

Fells Point Futon Factory, 1442 Fleet St. Wednesday July 8th 6:00 PM

Karen is the contact at 410-866-8088

Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8

Jul 6, 2009, 6:27:36 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
I have scheduled a location tour of 1015 hillen st, 21202  on Friday, June 10th at 6:00 PM

The contact is Mike at 443-854-1310

Mark Huson

Jul 6, 2009, 6:29:24 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
If it is $15 per square foot for a year then by my calculations:
(3700 sq ft * $15)/12=$4625 per month.

So unless thats a typo and its really $1500 per month then it is way out of budget.

-Mark

Matthew Forr

Jul 6, 2009, 6:31:13 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, I should be able to make it, I'll bring a camera and tape
measure!

-Matthew Forr

On Jul 6, 2009, at 6:25 PM, Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8 <patrickr...@plan8ts.com

Matthew Forr

Jul 6, 2009, 6:31:47 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Again I should be able to make this and I'll come prepared.

-Matthew Forr

David Powell

Jul 6, 2009, 6:32:26 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
When we were looking at places last month I started using this website to get a feeling to the safety of the group and what type of crime is around the place. Here is the listing for hillen st.

David
Harford Hackerspace

Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8

Jul 6, 2009, 6:37:57 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Looks like there is a hell of a lot more crime at the Load of Fun location

http://crimereports.com/map?search=120+North+Ave+Baltimore+md

Jon Lesser

Jul 6, 2009, 6:38:21 PM7/6/09
On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 6:32 PM, David Powell<dave...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When we were looking at places last month I started using this website to
> get a feeling to the safety of the group and what type of crime is around
> the place. Here is the listing for hillen st.
>
> http://crimereports.com/map?search=1016+Hillen+St%2C+Baltimore%2C+MD&searchButton.x=55&searchButton.y=6
Whoa, this fun.

See also Baltimore Sun's Homicide tracker:
http://essentials.baltimoresun.com/micro_sun/homicides/index.php?range=30&district=all&zipcode=all&age=all&gender=all&race=all&cause=all&article=all&show_results=Show+Results
--
http://jonlesser.net

Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8

Jul 6, 2009, 6:43:11 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Listen thats just one location I found. I want to get more info because I want to shop around.

But the one that is 1500 sqft for only $750

Looks amazing and the crime by the reports shown on on

show it to be far less thefts and break ins than the at the load of fun location

Mark Huson

Jul 6, 2009, 6:47:59 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
In all fairness there are more robberies near load of fun but there are far more assaults at the hillen st. location. But any where you go in Baltimore you are gonna find crime. My house is hampden is ringed with a couple assaults and some break ins/robberies and we had a gun point robbery about 6 months ago on my street. As long as there arn't people selling drugs on the corner i'll be fine.

Kelly Egan

Jul 6, 2009, 6:50:54 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Crime statistics can sometimes be difficult to assess. Particularly because certain crimes happen more to certain people. Also you are more likely to see break ins and car thefts in prosperous neighborhoods and more likely to see shootings and assaults in less prosperous ones.  It probably better to get an idea by visiting. Is there a lot of traffic, foot and car. Are there any businesses in the area. Where is the the closest restaurant/bar? There were two assaults in Mt Vernon not a month ago. Right in front of th Belvedere and Brewers Art.

Jon Lesser

Jul 6, 2009, 6:57:52 PM7/6/09
On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Mark Huson<meh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As long as there arn't people selling drugs on the corner i'll be fine.
Well let's at least see what they're selling.

The crimereports.com is fascinating, but it doesn't represent
population density, traffic, or socioeconomic conditions in any way.
Empty parts of town will show fewer incidents, until we show up with
our flashing LED's and lunch money hanging out of our pockets.
--
http://jonlesser.net

Adam D Bachman

Jul 6, 2009, 8:30:59 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
I set it up since I did mention it awhile back and the real estate search argument makes sense.

My thought with these addresses is that they'd be for members, so right now it's cool that we have them, but once there's an official org with officers and everything, control will go to them and we may have to give them up.

A shared email account sounds hella complicated. We're all already free to use the wiki and everything we post here (including pages and files (http://groups.google.com/group/baltimore-hackerspace-planning/web  http://groups.google.com/group/baltimore-hackerspace-planning/files)) will be saved until Google folds or the earth crashes into the sun, whichever comes first. For more complex documents we could use Google apps, which the baltimorenode.org domain already has registered (http://docs.google.com/a/baltimorenode.org/), although that may require either having a node account (i.e., membership) or being invited per-document by an existing member.

- Adam

Steven Stowell

Jul 6, 2009, 11:04:51 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there!
Steve

David Powell

Jul 6, 2009, 11:24:24 PM7/6/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Are you guys not using the e-mail address for the discussion list? baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com

All you need to do is send an e-mail to that address and everyone in the googlegroup will get the e-mail. No need to have a shared e-mail account.

Our group is not using a discussion list because I find it much cleaner to use a forum. However, I have be considering adding a discussion list since not all of our members check the forums daily.

David
Harford Hackerspace

Mark Huson

Jul 7, 2009, 2:25:43 PM7/7/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
I'll try and make this appointment too.

Jon Lesser

Jul 7, 2009, 2:50:24 PM7/7/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
I can make this time.

To clarify the obvious: July 10th, no June 10th.
--
http://jonlesser.net

Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8

Jul 8, 2009, 12:02:50 PM7/8/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Ok I will see you all there tonight for those who are going

So far we have verified can makes it from:

Me (Patrick)
Matthew Forr
Steve Stowell

Matthew Forr

Jul 8, 2009, 7:07:41 PM7/8/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Photos from the place are up:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1127918@N24/

Adam D Bachman

Jul 8, 2009, 7:21:33 PM7/8/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
What's the scoop?

Any updates available for the spaces table on the wiki? Price, utilities, neighborhood, landlord, neighbors, roof, hours?

- Adam

Jon Lesser

Jul 8, 2009, 7:25:10 PM7/8/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on adding my notes to the wiki now.
--
http://jonlesser.net

Adam D Bachman

Jul 8, 2009, 7:34:04 PM7/8/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Swizzle. I see the table has been updated, I'll just keep hitting refresh on the notes page :)

$8000 a month is a little steep, but maybe we could find or start 10 other hackerspaces to split it with?

- Adam

Mark Huson

Jul 8, 2009, 7:42:15 PM7/8/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
That place is HUGE! That would be an awesome place to setup shop. Lets see if its 8k a month we could rent out the other 3 floors for $2400 and just be paying $800 a month. Anyone know of a brewer, a distiller, and a butcher to take the other 3 floors?

Jon Lesser

Jul 8, 2009, 7:48:54 PM7/8/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Notes: http://wiki.baltimorenode.org/index.php?title=1442_Fleet_St_Notes

Matt, Patrick, Steve, Sylvia: edit as you see fit
--
http://jonlesser.net

Patrick Roanhouse - Plan8

Jul 8, 2009, 10:10:08 PM7/8/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
i could send emails to other groups such as the Behive and see if they might be interested in taking some of the space. The parking garage right behind the futon factory makes it very easy for people who need parking.

Patrick M. Roanhouse
Executive Producer / Host

The Plan8 Podcast
Pat...@plan8ts.com
http://www.plan8ts.com
(410).929.2009 - Work
Plan8ts - Skype
@Plan8ts - Twitter

Jon Lesser

Jul 9, 2009, 4:53:51 AM7/9/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
It could be worth sending out some feelers, but I doubt we're going to
get any commitments firm enough to plan around. At least if I were
running the Beehive, I wouldn't go in on a lease with an untested
group like ours, but I might if we proved our financial viability by
successfully leasing a space on our own for a year.

But who knows, maybe they'll all bite.

-Jon

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Patrick Roanhouse -
--
http://jonlesser.net

Kelly Egan

Jul 9, 2009, 7:34:43 AM7/9/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
If we were to share a floor with another group wouldn't that require some construction to divide the space?

Jon Lesser

Jul 10, 2009, 9:06:13 PM7/10/09
to baltimore-hacke...@googlegroups.com
Patrick, Mark, Matt, and I visited today. I put my notes up on the wiki:
http://wiki.baltimorenode.org/index.php?title=1015_Hillen_Notes
--
http://jonlesser.net

Matthew Forr