new balalaika?

coniu...@gmail.com

May 11, 2009, 6:33:21 PM5/11/09
to Balalaika, domra, bayan, accordion, garmoshka
Where can I purchase a new balalaika in America without going broke?

Neal

May 12, 2009, 5:54:35 AM5/12/09
to Balalaika, domra, bayan, accordion, garmoshka
Have you looked at:

http://imperskaya.com/

?

Nice looking balalaikas at a reasonable price. Haven't seen them
personally tho'. Take a look.

- Neal

On May 11, 6:33 pm, "coniunc...@gmail.com" <coniunc...@gmail.com>

mmka1

May 12, 2009, 7:24:52 AM5/12/09
to Balalaika, domra, bayan, accordion, garmoshka
Try "Lark In The Morning".

http://larkinthemorning.com/search.asp?t=ss&sb=0&ss=balalaika

Should you have questions and need to call, speak with David Brown, he
is the store technician and an amateur balalaika player.

Jaime Pitale

May 12, 2009, 11:46:59 AM5/12/09
to bala...@googlegroups.com
hello, a new balalaika not really sure.  However, I do have an older one that you are welcome to have at a very cheap cost.  you can write me, Jaime, personally at jaime....@gmail.com

Neal

May 12, 2009, 12:58:56 PM5/12/09
to Balalaika, domra, bayan, accordion, garmoshka
Strikes me as odd that an instrument that costs $950.00 doesn't even
have pictures shown. Just a drawing? I'd be very skeptical. It might
be a nice instrument, but . . . how can you really tell?

Eligos Dell

May 12, 2009, 6:32:50 PM5/12/09
to bala...@googlegroups.com
no thank you, I already have a soviet one the was made in the Ukraine. Don't now why they are so expensive here.

Ruben Kazumov

May 12, 2009, 8:14:08 PM5/12/09
to bala...@googlegroups.com
I bought my one about a month ago in St. Petersburg for $150.

Михаил Коцеруба

May 12, 2009, 7:52:39 AM5/12/09
to bala...@googlegroups.com
Yes ! )))

Me Allan

May 13, 2009, 10:06:19 AM5/13/09
to bala...@googlegroups.com
not sure I bought two for 40 Euros a while back and sold one for 50
euro and the one I kept was hand made in the late 40's.. can pick up
for 70 or 80 euro now but the postageto the states is killing.
Allan

Pierre Le

May 13, 2009, 4:25:39 PM5/13/09
to bala...@googlegroups.com
Look on ebay.... n° 230341899405

Regards

Pierre

coniu...@gmail.com

May 13, 2009, 5:21:04 PM5/13/09
to Balalaika, domra, bayan, accordion, garmoshka
You know, if you look at the construction of a balalaika, it's not
that complicated to make. In eastern Europe in some villages you can
purchase a handmade one for under $100.

On May 11, 6:33 pm, "coniunc...@gmail.com" <coniunc...@gmail.com>

Neal

May 13, 2009, 7:20:12 PM5/13/09
to Balalaika, domra, bayan, accordion, garmoshka
Good Luck! It's a *LOT* harder than you think, it just depends on what
you want. There is a reason a quality instrument costs what it does. A
lot of work and expertise goes into it. Sure, you can make your own,
but you might consider buying an inexpensive factory-made instrument
and improving it yourself to make it better. The saying "you get what
you pay for" is true especially in instrument making.

There are very few makers that produce high-quality, hand-made
balalaikas and they are usually worth every penny you would have to
pay for them, just like high-end guitars. If you want a basic,
inexpensive balalaika, then keep an eye on eBay and buy one, then
improve it to suit your needs and for what you can afford. As far as
making one yourself, if you have reasonable woodworking skills and the
desire, time and tools, then go for it. Check out my website for an in-
depth description of the rebuilding of a balalaika:

http://home.comcast.net/~bostonbalalaika/

You might consider going to the American Luthier website and
downloading Jim Flynn's book (in .pdf format) called "Building the
Balalaika" at:

http://www.luth.org/downloads/download.htm

It's the *only* book available in English that I'm aware of where you
can find the necessary details. I would estimate that you'd put in at
least 100+ hours to do it right. Best wishes with whatever you decide.

On May 13, 5:21 pm, "coniunc...@gmail.com" <coniunc...@gmail.com>