Possible BAHaskell meeting next week

Ivan Tarasov

Dec 15, 2012, 2:55:48 AM12/15/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Hello Haskellers,

Sorry for not making any meeting announcements for so long. Since we don't have a dedicated venue anymore, every month I have the problem of finding a place where we can have a meeting. That is of course in addition to the problem of finding a person who is ready to give a talk.

While the latter has been solved for this month (Eugene Kirpichov offered to give a talk, pending his return to the Bay Area this weekend), I'm still waiting for a reply about a venue, and I suspect it may fall through for this month.

As a fallback I want to suggest to meet on some weekend in a park, or a similar place that could offer us a quiet and less formal environment, for an end-of-the-year informal meeting. Alternatively we could do a hike, it won't work well for a talk, but that way people can chat in small ever-changing groups about various Haskell and non-Haskell stuff.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions, please do not hesitate to reply, either directly, or to the group.

Cheers,
Ivan

Jonathan Fischoff

Dec 15, 2012, 3:40:55 AM12/15/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com, baha...@googlegroups.com
If you can't find a place, I'd vote for the hike.

Sent from my iPad

Vlad Patryshev

Dec 15, 2012, 11:40:22 AM12/15/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
This is a cool idea, meeting in a park; maybe not this time of year, but anyway.

How about having a potluck barbecue, too?

Thanks,
-Vlad

Aaron Culich

Dec 15, 2012, 12:03:00 PM12/15/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
I'm game for a potluck barbecue!

byron...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2012, 12:52:04 PM12/15/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
It's hard to schedule over the holidays, generally.  I'll check my schedule.  I'm trying to hold Wednesdays open for BAHUG and Category Theory.  I would slow you down on a hike.  A potluck barbeque seems like a nice idea.

Thanks for all your hard work and happy
holidays.

Sent from my HTC Inspire™ 4G on AT&T

Arthur Chan

Dec 15, 2012, 2:29:02 PM12/15/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com, baha...@googlegroups.com
I might go to Yosemite next weekend. If a few others want to come, we could get a cabin. I will not be coding though.

Arthur :: PocketBrick

Ian Zimmerman

Dec 15, 2012, 1:10:46 PM12/15/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 00:40:55 -0800
Jonathan Fischoff <jonathan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you can't find a place, I'd vote for the hike.

+1 for a hike

--
Ian Zimmerman
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD

Paul Higham

Dec 18, 2012, 11:26:24 AM12/18/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
+1 for a hike

::paul

Ivan Tarasov

Dec 24, 2012, 7:34:04 PM12/24/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Okay, since there seems to be some interest in the hike, please help me decide when and where to do the hike by answering two questions: <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHlxSkZnZXdmaTdVNTc5V1J0X3VRbkE6MQ>.

I understand that this form does not cover many options, however it'd be hard to do that and not scare off the respondents :-)

If you have any specific suggestions or ideas, please send them either to me directly, or here.

If we choose a location that requires carpooling, we can discuss the logistics here later. Although San Francisco hike options do not require carpooling (public transportation covers these places well), carpooling may still be convenient, and we can discuss it here as well.

Cheers,
Ivan

Arthur Chan

Dec 25, 2012, 1:20:36 AM12/25/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com, baha...@googlegroups.com
i could do a hike but i am recovering from illness and i may not be fit for it when you guys go.

Arthur :: PocketBrick

Byron Hale

Dec 26, 2012, 8:58:01 PM12/26/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Enjoy your hike!  I hope to see you at the next meeting after.

Byron

Ivan Tarasov

Dec 28, 2012, 8:43:07 PM12/28/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
I didn't get a lot of votes, so far it looks like 3 people are for Dec 31 morning, however only two suggest the same places (GG park/Tank Hill/Buena Vista park). So I propose meeting around 9am on Dec 31 somewhere close to Buena Vista Park on Haight. If you're one of the brave souls who plans to go, please RSVP: I don't want to go all the way to SF to hike alone :-)

Ivan Tarasov

Dec 28, 2012, 8:44:21 PM12/28/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Just in case: I'll be driving from Palo Alto and can pick someone up.

Paul Higham

Dec 28, 2012, 9:06:36 PM12/28/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Count me in.  I will be driving up from Cupertino and since there are only three of us I could take everybody.  Who is the third person and how could I pick him up?

::paul

Ian Zimmerman

Dec 28, 2012, 9:52:14 PM12/28/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
I am in. Coming by BART from Oakland.

Please post the precise meeting spot :)

Ivan Tarasov

Dec 29, 2012, 1:19:50 AM12/29/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Let's meet by the entrance to the Buena Vista Park on Haight Str.

Vlad Patryshev

Dec 29, 2012, 2:44:18 PM12/29/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Details? When? Where is this, err, Buena Vista Park?

Thanks,
-Vlad

Ian Zimmerman

Dec 29, 2012, 4:27:13 PM12/29/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 11:44:18 -0800
Vlad Patryshev <vpatr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Vlad> Details? When? Where is this, err, Buena Vista Park?

It is bordered on the North side by Haight, on the top of the steep
climb from Divisadero.

Eugene Kirpichov

Dec 29, 2012, 4:39:20 PM12/29/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
We (me and my wife) are likely to join.

Eugene Kirpichov
http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekirpichov
http://jkff.info/software/timeplotters - my performance visualization tools

Vlad Patryshev

Dec 29, 2012, 5:26:59 PM12/29/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear you are back.

Thanks,
-Vlad

Justin Hamilton

Dec 29, 2012, 6:09:46 PM12/29/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
What day and time?

Ivan Tarasov

Dec 29, 2012, 10:18:01 PM12/29/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the confusion, the details were scattered over the whole thread, so here's the gist:

Hike at Buena Vista Park followed by the Tank Hill in San Francisco. Let's plan for about 2 hours of hiking/chatting.

Meeting details:
9am on December 31, 2012
near the entrance to Buena Vista Park (Baker & Haight Str, San Francisco)

We'll probably start going up around 9:05-9:10am, so please try to come a bit earlier.
If anyone is late, please call me (650-762-6644). If I'm late (though I'm not planning to be) and you're there, feel free to call me as well.
My plan is to be back in Palo Alto around 12pm.

Paul Higham offered to drive from South Bay up to the city and back, so if you want to carpool, please send me a message, so that we could figure out the logistics. I can also drive if we need to take more people.

Joshua Ball

Dec 30, 2012, 10:14:41 AM12/30/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
I'll come, and I'd like to carpool if possible. I live in East Palo Alto.
Borrow my books: http://goo.gl/UBbSH

Justin Hamilton

Dec 30, 2012, 12:39:30 PM12/30/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to come and live right by that park but I am back home for the holidays. Maybe next time.

Paul Higham

Dec 30, 2012, 9:42:08 PM12/30/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
I am prepared to bring my van to pick people up, but I need to know who wants to come with me and where they will be.  What I can guess right now is the following:

  • Eugene and wife are somewhere between Santa Clara and Mountain View?
  • Ivan is in Palo Alto
  • Joshua is in East Palo Alto
  • Ian is making his own way there
  • Vlad is somewhere around Mountain View?

So far these data are not even in first normal form so I do not have the beginning of a plan.  Also a hamilton path through all destinations would probably make us late.  Ideally one or at most two places to pick up folks would work.  Seems like one of the centres of gravity in is Palo Alto, but might equally well be Mountain View.  I need some data folks.

::paul

Vlad Patryshev

Dec 30, 2012, 9:52:24 PM12/30/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
I'm skipping actually; the idea of getting to SF by 9am sounds too extremist to me. (Yes, Friday we did hike for 13 miles.)

Ivan Tarasov

Dec 30, 2012, 11:12:52 PM12/30/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com

Eugene is going to be alone, and you can pick him and me at my place. I'll send the address directly.

Joshua Ball

Dec 31, 2012, 12:54:59 AM12/31/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
My address is 66 Newell Road, East Palo Alto, CA.

For carpooling, I propose meeting at the Ravenswood Shopping Center in East Palo Alto (let's say in front of the Starbucks). There's lots of parking, and it's close to the highway.

Other suggestions I'd be happy with: Costco at Rengstorff (Mountain View) and CVS at Woodside/Broadway (Redwood City), for the same reasons.

Paul Higham

Dec 31, 2012, 2:29:22 AM12/31/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
I'll be at your place between 8 and 8.5. Perhaps we could pick up Joshua, though it would be easier if he could also get to your place.  Joshua?

My cell phone number is 408 390 6784

::paul

Paul Higham

Dec 31, 2012, 2:36:21 AM12/31/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Sorry folks I didn't see other eMails in this thread so I'll be following Ivan's specifications regarding times.

::paul

Joshua Ball

Dec 31, 2012, 10:55:52 AM12/31/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com