Update: BA Haskell User Group meeting on February 20, 2013 (Wed)

Ivan Tarasov

Feb 13, 2013, 11:45:14 PM2/13/13
to baha...@googlegroups.com
The promised update with the venue details:

Amit Kapoor kindly offered to host us at SALT Technologies Inc.

The address of the venue:

Also notice that 21st Amendment is right across from De Boom, I know some of you would be really happy!

Hope to see you all next Wednesday!
Ivan

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:21 PM, Ivan Tarasov <ivan.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
It has been a while since we had a user group meeting (although the new year's eve walk around San Francisco was really pleasant, it probably does not count). The biggest issue currently is finding a convenient place where we can have our meetings, and somehow I couldn't find one so far. In fact, I'm still looking for a place for this meeting and working on a few options in SoMa (will post an update here), however if you have a suggestion of where to have it hosted, let me know!

This time we have a talk by Gershom Bazerman, who is visiting the Bay Area. Gershom will speak about JMacro, a library for the programmatic generation of JavaScript code. The JMacro library and quasiquoter has been integrated with hsx and Happstack, and been used as a backend for code generation targeting JavaScript, including in a branch of ghc-js. It also has a json-rpc and reactive library built on top of it. The talk will go over some of the features of JMacro, as well as the design decisions made in the course of the project, and some of the interesting tricks used in its implementation. It will also discuss some of the broader issues and approaches with integrating Haskell and JavaScript, and some of the debates over the use and abuse of quasiquotation.

I looked at JMacro quite a while ago and when I saw it I was quite amazed, it hadn't occurred to me that the things this library does were even possible. Now I will finally learn how it can be done.

Add this to your calendars (see this if you're using Google Calendar), and stay tuned for the venue update!

Cheers,
Ivan

vanya

Feb 14, 2013, 12:13:28 AM2/14/13
to baha...@googlegroups.com
As usual, we will start at 7pm (or a few minutes past), however please come before 7 and have a nice chat with other Haskellers!

Arthur Chan

Feb 14, 2013, 10:26:27 AM2/14/13
to baha...@googlegroups.com, baha...@googlegroups.com
do we need to rsvp?

Arthur :: PocketBrick

Ivan Tarasov

Feb 14, 2013, 12:10:13 PM2/14/13
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Not necessary to RSVP this time (yay!), but feel free to.

Ivan Tarasov

Feb 14, 2013, 3:53:59 PM2/14/13
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have a camera that we could use to record the talk?