So apparently there's 9 members here, and only 3 posts, what's up with that?

a_thinktank_of_25_superintelligent_kangaroos

Aug 7, 2004, 4:09:19 AM8/7/04
to Bahai...@googlegroups.com
It's interesting, my initial approach to spirituality was sort of a
reaction to all the people around me who were always organized and
busy, so I developed an aversion to a busy, organized lifestyle. I was
so upset by all of these people around me who seemed to be running very
quickly in little circles, living a seemingly meaningless existence
chasing empty goals of success, status, recognition, etc.

So I developed this aversion to being like those people and spent a lot
of time wrestling with finding a meaning for my existence. Through
that process I have become Baha'i, and now I feel like I have a medium
through which I can do things that are meaningful and have a real
positive effect on this world.

Now that I've got some of these existential (not to mention some
emotional) issues resolved, I'm back at the point where I've got to get
my career off the ground. I spent some time abroad trying to get
established as a pioneer, but things fell through and I ran out of
money. I spent my savings, sold my car, and then spent all that money,
and finally went just about broke in Mexico. I returned to the U.S.
with about $150 left, which didn't last long.

So I had to move back in with my dad and reevaluate things a bit. I
was going to go into tech writing, but decided instead just to try it
on my own as a web designer. So I've been working on a business plan,
learning how to run a business, and learning web design. It's all
coming together slowly, but (I hope) surely.

I've still got some emotional issues to work out. Sometimes these
immense feelings of failure hit me. (ie. Why didn't I find a way to
make things work out in Mexico/Ecuador? I should have been smarter
about the whole thing. Why am I 26 and living at my dad's house, still
not pulling in any significant amount of income? etc.) Yeah, they can
be pretty overpowering.

But I have to have patience. I believe that God has given me some
pretty sound capacities, some of which are really good for being a web
designer. I feel like things are coming together for me to start this
business, and it feels right. I could have looked for a salary job as
a tech writer and probably found something, but going this way just
seems to fit me better.

So this is kinda rambling from one thing to another, but what it all
comes down to is that right now I'm learning to be organized,
efficient, and self-disciplined with all of this day-to-day kinda
stuff. And all of this fits into my spiritual growth, because it has
to do with my service to the Cause. I think it's good for me, making
me more balanced as a person.

Yeah, ok, so my head's a little tired. This ain't all that
well-written, but I guess that's ok. Having a degree in English makes
me a little more uptight about stuff like that. I'll stop rambling now.

stlbl

Dec 14, 2004, 5:43:14 AM12/14/04
to Bahai...@googlegroups.com
You are so young. I had so many more failures before becoming a
Baha'i, but don't think of them as such anymore---they were just
learning experiences. Maybe in 10 years when my wife and i are 47 and
57, we might do the pioneer thing---Africa sounds inviting....