EvoOnt / BAETLE for the "KiWi -- Knowledge in a Wiki" EU project

Matthias Samwald

Oct 16, 2008, 8:11:59 AM10/16/08
to baetle
I just want to inform you that we are currently investigating the use
of EvoOnt and/or BAETLE for the "KiWi -- Knowledge in a Wiki" EU
project [1]. KiWi is a semantic wiki system that will be used in
companies such as Sun Microsystems. Specifically, we want to use KiWi
for a use-case concerning software development knowledge management in
the NetBeans community of Sun Microsystems [2].
EvoOnt / BAETLE are well-suited for this use-case, and we will
certainly apply them in the project to some extent. At the moment I am
reviewing the latest versions of both EvoOnt and BAETLE to see which
of those two could be a good starting point. At the moment, EvoOnt
seems to be the most likely candidate, since it is a bit more
comprehensive than BAETLE. It would be great to see this version of
EvoOnt evolve into the next release of BAETLE (which seems to have a
bit more community backing and infrastructure than EvoOnt ever had).
At the moment I am cleaning up the EvoOnt ontologies by merging them
into a valid OWL-DL file, debugging, and improving the mapping to
external ontologies such as SIOC.

--> Currently EvoOnt does not contain any documentation (e.g.,
rdfs:comments) as part of the ontology. It would be great if we could
change that. Since EvoOnt is the outcome of a thesis, I suppose that
such descriptions could be copied from the text of the thesis. If one
of you could send me this text, I can volunteer to add these
descriptions.

I will post a reference to the OWL file that will be the outcome of my
current work when I am finished.

[1] http://www.kiwi-project.eu/index.php/about
[2] http://www.kiwi-project.eu/index.php/use-cases/28-sun-usecase

Cheers,
Matthias Samwald
Semantic Web Company, Austria

Henry Story

Oct 16, 2008, 7:20:29 PM10/16/08
to bae...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthias,

this is excellent news all. Baetle should be thought as far as I am
concerned not as a competitor to EvoOnt, but as an open forum to
discuss it, developments of it, uses of it, etc... To get a vocabulary
adopted it has to be alive, it has to have a community of active
participants, it has to be used, have a place for people to meet, to
discuss improvements, etc... This is what creates trust. Truthfulness
and Trust according to David Lewis's book on Convention are the two
key element of meaning.

To increase trust in this project I in fact gave Prof Bernstein
administrator rights on the Baetle wiki and mailing lists over a year
ago, given the serious contribution his department has made with the
EvoOnt ontology. Hopefully by bringing software developers to the
table from the NetBeans team we can now find a whole new category of
applications to make use of this work. :-)

So welcome to Baetle, Matthias!

On 16 Oct 2008, at 14:11, Matthias Samwald wrote:
> I just want to inform you that we are currently investigating the use
> of EvoOnt and/or BAETLE for the "KiWi -- Knowledge in a Wiki" EU
> project [1]. KiWi is a semantic wiki system that will be used in
> companies such as Sun Microsystems. Specifically, we want to use KiWi
> for a use-case concerning software development knowledge management in
> the NetBeans community of Sun Microsystems [2].

That would be absolutely perfect!

> EvoOnt / BAETLE are well-suited for this use-case, and we will
> certainly apply them in the project to some extent. At the moment I am
> reviewing the latest versions of both EvoOnt and BAETLE to see which
> of those two could be a good starting point. At the moment, EvoOnt
> seems to be the most likely candidate, since it is a bit more
> comprehensive than BAETLE.

Yes for sure. EvoOnt has been used in the University of Zurich for
many projects. I don't think it has been used yet in Linked Data
projects which is what I was building Baetle for, before the concept
became popular, and before the first EvoOnt thesis had been finished.
It is very likely that the concepts will be able to be mapped one to
another easily though. I think it can only be good for EvoOnt to be
used in more Linked Data projects.

> It would be great to see this version of
> EvoOnt evolve into the next release of BAETLE (which seems to have a
> bit more community backing and infrastructure than EvoOnt ever had).
> At the moment I am cleaning up the EvoOnt ontologies by merging them
> into a valid OWL-DL file, debugging, and improving the mapping to
> external ontologies such as SIOC.
>
> --> Currently EvoOnt does not contain any documentation (e.g.,
> rdfs:comments) as part of the ontology. It would be great if we could
> change that. Since EvoOnt is the outcome of a thesis, I suppose that
> such descriptions could be copied from the text of the thesis. If one
> of you could send me this text, I can volunteer to add these
> descriptions.

That would be really great!

> I will post a reference to the OWL file that will be the outcome of my
> current work when I am finished.

Thanks a lot for your work. It is great to see this project moving
ahead!

Henry

Erling Wegger Linde

Oct 17, 2008, 12:16:13 PM10/17/08