Time accuracy?

Daniel Wilson

Jul 7, 2015, 9:35:30 PM7/7/15
to backwoods-lo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Group,

I was wondering if anybody has tested time drift on this logger? I was hoping to build a modification with an expanded battery pack to last ~1 year, and I was wondering what kind of drift to expect?

Thanks,
Danny

Steve Chamberlin

Jul 8, 2015, 12:31:02 AM7/8/15
to backwoods-lo...@googlegroups.com
Good question. The hardware counts the number of oscillations of a 32768 Hz crystal, which is a very common part used in electronic timing applications. You might find some data on accuracy in the ATMEGA328 datasheet, but I would expect it to be similar to something like a digital watch.

FYI, my Logger Classic ran for about two years with the standard CR2032 battery. http://www.bigmessowires.com/2013/06/06/backwoods-logger-battery-life/

Steve