Remote backups

ilexius GmbH

Oct 15, 2013, 4:50:40 AM10/15/13
to back...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

thank you for this great toll, the features sound amazing. I'm trying to backup some of our servers using sshfs to a remote location.
I can't find any info about which way to run the backup is better, maybe I missed it in the docs:
1. Is it better to run backshift on the server to be backed up and mount the target remote filesystem to write to?
2. Or is it better to run it on the remote server where the backups are stored and mount the filesystem if the server to be backed up?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Sebastian

ilexius GmbH

Oct 15, 2013, 4:58:43 AM10/15/13
to back...@googlegroups.com
I think I can answer this by myself now...
As the deduplication happens where backshift runs it will be better to run it on the server being backed up, is that true?

Dan Stromberg

Oct 15, 2013, 2:53:37 PM10/15/13
to back...@googlegroups.com

It's sometimes better to remote mount the repo, and run the backup on the system to be backed up.  Other times it doesn't matter much.  The more new files you have to backup, the better it is to remote mount the repo.

I always remote mount the repo onto the server to be backed up, and run the backup on the server to be backed up.

Both ways are viable options.

Dan Stromberg