backshift 1.21

Dan Stromberg

Nov 18, 2013, 5:45:10 PM11/18/13
to back...@googlegroups.com

I tagged backshift 1.21 today.  The main difference is that it has a --compression-means option to tell you what method it is using for compression.

--
Dan Stromberg

Kai Lindenberg

Jan 2, 2014, 1:59:05 PM1/2/14
to back...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

I'd like to give backshift a try to backup my data. My setup is a SheevaPlug (512 MB Ram, 1.2 GHz ARM softfloat) with some TB hard drives at usb and backup target on nfs. The ETA was about 7 months for about 600 GB..... Obviously, this is not acceptable.

I would blame lzma, so is it possible to turn compress completely off?

Best
Kai

Dan Stromberg

Jan 2, 2014, 3:25:50 PM1/2/14
to back...@googlegroups.com

It could be hacked in by changing compressed_string_mod.py - it's a pretty small file.

Would that work for you?

Dan Stromberg

Dan Stromberg

Jan 2, 2014, 3:52:30 PM1/2/14
to back...@googlegroups.com

Also, try running:

./backshift --compression-means

You may be able to get bzip2 compression by removing liblzma and the xz executable.

--
Dan Stromberg

Kai Lindenberg

Jan 11, 2014, 2:36:29 PM1/11/14
to back...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

Am Donnerstag, 2. Januar 2014 21:25:50 UTC+1 schrieb Dan Stromberg:

It could be hacked in by changing compressed_string_mod.py - it's a pretty small file.

Would that work for you?

thanks for the hint. I tried that by deleting nearly every line, but it did not help. I have still only 200 kbits/s, maybe deduping is much too hard for my setup.

-Kai

Dan Stromberg

Jan 11, 2014, 8:54:48 PM1/11/14
to back...@googlegroups.com

What if you NFS or CIFS export your filesystems to a faster/larger system?