Parse with Unity 2018.4.9f1

vell...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2019, 3:34:16 PM11/29/19
to Back4App
Hi all,
Can I use Back4app with unity 2018? On startup it throws an error even in the example on github:
MissingMethodException: bool UnityEngine.Application.get_isWebPlayer()
Parse.ParseClient.Initialize
InvalidOperationException: Parse must be initialized before making any calls.
Parse.PlatformHooks.get_IsAndroid ()

Davi Macêdo

Nov 29, 2019, 5:20:34 PM11/29/19
to Back4App
Have you installed the SDK as described in the following link? https://docs.parseplatform.org/unity/guide/#getting-started

vell...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2019, 5:29:02 PM11/29/19
to Back4App
In the following link is no direct link: The SDK is available for download on [NuGet package][nuget-link].
In square brackets, just text, not a link.

Charles Ramos

Nov 29, 2019, 6:36:07 PM11/29/19
to Back4App
Hi!

The official SDK is out of date and we hope the community can update it in the near future.

While it's not solved, some users reported a fork that worked fine, and you can test it and use it, here is the link: https://github.com/fayezsalka/Parse-for-Unity-2018

Please, let me know your results.

Regards,
Charles Ramos

vell...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2019, 3:03:06 AM11/30/19
to Back4App
Thank you Charles Ramos,
Now it's okay.

copv...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2019, 3:30:46 PM12/22/19
to Back4App
Hi, Charles Ramos.
I now have the same question as this man: https://github.com/fsal-code/Parse-for-Unity-2018/issues/2
Why might this code not work in WebGL?

Andrey.

суббота, 30 ноября 2019 г., 2:36:07 UTC+3 пользователь Charles Ramos написал:
Hi!

vell...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2019, 3:51:01 PM12/22/19
to Back4App
I mean, it doesn't work from the browser, not from the Unity Editor.

Andrey.

Charles Ramos

Dec 23, 2019, 2:08:26 PM12/23/19
to Back4App
Hi Andrey,

I was looking for some issues on the GitHub and didn't find something that might help you generically. The suggestions that I found were for specific situations.

But, since this SDK is not the official one and the author didn't reply to this issue that was opened in March, what I most recommend is using Rest API for that, what do you think?

You can check the link below for that:

Note: The URL must be "https://parseapi.back4app.com/" instead of the URL suggested on the guide "https://your.parse-server.here/parse/".

In addition, there are some issues in the community about mentioning the WebGL as you can see at this link. Some of them have suggestions to fix the issues reported by the users related to WebGL, which might help you with the issue that you're facing.

Regards,
Charles Ramos

ki...@qinoko.com

May 20, 2020, 10:13:04 PM5/20/20
to Back4App
I like the simplicity of Parse but getting to test the service seems like an uphill battle with the Parse (dotNet) Unity SDK.
Going down the Rest API call seems like the easiest way to get started.
My only concern with this approach is parsing the response myself.
I wanted to avoid string manipulation in the game code as much as possible.

Did anyone manage to get their Unity game to use Rest API?
What's the performance like?

Davi Macêdo

May 25, 2020, 2:38:26 AM5/25/20
to Back4App
I believe it shouldn't be a problem. How are you planning to do it? Can you share some code so we can better advise?

ki...@qinoko.com

May 26, 2020, 11:30:51 AM5/26/20
to Back4App
@Davi, I don't have the Parse test project right now. I have kind of gone down the Firebase rabbit hole (still testing). But this is how i have in mind for the use:
- The game upload player scores to the server. If I need to send via Rest, I'll lightly encode/encrypt the payload.
- Once on the server, decode/decrypt the content and do some score validation on before saving into a database.
- When Players view the leaderboard, it will just pull the data from the database.

When preparing the payload as Rest, I can only imagine there will be a lot of string manipulation on mobile which would fragment the memory a lot more than normal or trigger garbage collection more often.  It's just a concern right now, I haven't done any profiling yet.

kimc.

Davi Macêdo

May 26, 2020, 1:08:32 PM5/26/20
to Back4App
You basically need to send a JSON payload and you do not need to encrypt it since you will be using a https connection. It is basically the same process that you'd have to do when sending data to any other API and it shouldn't compromise your mobile app performance. There is also an Unity SDK which will be more convenient for you: https://docs.parseplatform.org/unity/guide/