javascript as a category etc

Vlad Patryshev

Mar 4, 2012, 12:21:06 PM3/4/12
to ba...@googlegroups.com

Dan Piponi

Mar 4, 2012, 12:26:42 PM3/4/12
to ba...@googlegroups.com
It starts off saying that Html is a category whose objects are the
elements of HTMLElement. But HTMLElement is actually a monoid whose
elements are the functions HTMLElement -> HTMLElement. You can
consider this as a category, but it's the single object category with
object HTMLElement. So it's a bit of a confused article ...
--
Dan

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Vlad Patryshev <vpatr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://johnbender.us/2012/02/29/faster-javascript-through-category-theory/
>
> Thanks,
> -Vlad

Vlad Patryshev

Mar 4, 2012, 12:29:03 PM3/4/12
to ba...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this is discussed in one of the comments (and we can define it differently, having a forgetful functor to the HTMLElement monoid. The article is a little bit loose, but I really appreciated the approach.

Thanks,
-Vlad

Vlad Patryshev

Mar 5, 2012, 12:01:10 AM3/5/12
to ba...@googlegroups.com
Oh.

You are right. That's total nonsense there. I kind of skipped too much. I asked him, but I'm afraid the whole idea of having individual elements as objects and then js functions as morphisms is nonsense.

Sorry.
-Vlad