Babushka install problems

Wojciech Pietrzak

Nov 3, 2012, 6:21:55 AM11/3/12
to babush...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I wanted install Babushka but got errors like

Hi there :)

Let's get down to business - first, pulling a tarball of babushka from
http://babushka.me. Then, using it to run "babushka babushka", which
installs or updates babushka and its dependencies as required.

- You already have curl.
- You already have ruby 1.8.7.

Sound good? [y/N] y

Right, downloading a tarball of babushka master.
######################################################################## 100.0%

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1

Something went wrong during the install.

If you fix the problem, you can re-run the install with:
  ruby /root/.babushka/bootstrap/bin/babushka.rb babushka

There's a full log in ~/.babushka/logs/babushka. Would you mind
emailing it to b...@hoskings.net to help improve the installation
process? Thanks a lot.

There is no logs directory where something were shown. This remembers me of the old BIOS error message "Keybord error, strike F1 to continue"

So I downloaded the shell script into a file and analyzed what's going on.

I noticed that curl tries downloading stuff from https://nodeload.github.com/benhoskings/babushka/tarball/master , which respond only "Not Found"

My question is:

1) What's wrong with this url ?

2) How I can install Babushka on a fresh system ? As you can see, the instructions from the Babushka website are not working now.

Regards,
Wojciech

Ben Hoskings

Nov 19, 2012, 9:47:31 PM11/19/12
to babush...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wojciech, sorry I forgot to reply to this.

The issue was that github changed their download URLs. It looks like they removed the old ones without deprecating them -- I didn't see any notices about it and they didn't reply when I pinged them on twitter.

Anyhow, the URL was fixed the next day (I tethered at a campsite to merge Richo's fix) :)

https://github.com/benhoskings/babushka.me/commit/88f63a00c302462576371f07f39c2cc2df291611

Cheers,
Ben